Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

WA sponsorship - anyone have any recent news?

WA sponsorship - anyone have any recent news?

Old May 13th 2009, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute
Default WA sponsorship - anyone have any recent news?

Just wondering if anyone had any recent news about WA and the sponsorship program. I missed out on the January 2010 commencements but have been told my application is successful - just have to wait until the sponsorship program recommences. I am looking at other avenues meanwhile, but just wondered what was happening with everyone else who was part of the big Dept of Educucation of WA advertising campaign in UK, and who missed the boat because of the global economic situation.
Old May 13th 2009, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

poppyandpeanut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WA sponsorship - anyone have any recent news?

Thought you were going out on a family visa?
Old May 13th 2009, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Briar
Just wondering if anyone had any recent news about WA and the sponsorship program. I missed out on the January 2010 commencements but have been told my application is successful - just have to wait until the sponsorship program recommences. I am looking at other avenues meanwhile, but just wondered what was happening with everyone else who was part of the big Dept of Educucation of WA advertising campaign in UK, and who missed the boat because of the global economic situation.
Would contact Sue if I were you. I don't think they're taking expressions of interest yet so no official news is out as yet.
Old May 13th 2009, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

blacktash is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you not there already Briar?

Your story is confusing me.
Old May 13th 2009, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: WA sponsorship - anyone have any recent news?

He tends to have that effect I think
Old May 13th 2009, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Herds2Oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Would contact Sue if I were you.
Agree - best to speak with DET - they are the only people that know what's happening in the world of WA teacher sponsorship.

Hs2Oz
Old May 14th 2009, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have applied for family sponsorship, but it seems that the "quota" has been reduced and I could be waiting a couple of years. Almost ready to lodge my application though, but was just wondering how the WA sponsorship program was going. Have emailed Sue and have been advised that it is "suspended for the forseeable future". Thanks everyone - should have emailed her to start with!
Old May 14th 2009, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by blacktash
Are you not there already Briar?

Your story is confusing me.
Sorry Blacktash if I confused you - I have lived in WA and worked for DETWA on a WHV. Also have family in WA. Love it and want to get back!
Old May 14th 2009, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Pretty sure the scheme is moving along nicely for everyone else in it. havent heard about anyone else thats been approved but has no job to be offered, wierd?!?
Old May 14th 2009, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by poppyandpeanut
Pretty sure the scheme is moving along nicely for everyone else in it. havent heard about anyone else thats been approved but has no job to be offered, wierd?!?
Yes Poppyandpeanut I was surprised to get the email, but it said that they were going through all applications of teachers who had been interviewed in UK, to ascertain who had been successful or not, so everyone would have more idea of where they stood. I suppose in a way it is good to know if you would have made it or not, instead of leaving you always wondering.
Old May 18th 2009, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

I hear July 09 cohort are getting their visas through now, well done you lot!!
Old May 20th 2009, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Evee is an unknown quantity at this point

I have only just joined this forum even though I have been logging in for ages to find out what is happening on the Australia and teaching front.
I have had the email too. I am a primary teacher and was interviewed in London last year. It seems that my WACOT assessment arrived during the Christmas period and that was when DET stopped processing applications. Am glad to know that I would have been successful had the sponsorship continued. World economy stuff though has affected so much, and I can understand why Australia is cutting back on migration. I am very disappointed of course, but the email did say that the Ed Dept would contact me when the situation changed. I feel for everyone in the same situation as me as I know how I feel! Positive thinking is the way to go!
Evee
Old May 20th 2009, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

Herds2Oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Evee
I have only just joined this forum even though I have been logging in for ages to find out what is happening on the Australia and teaching front.
I have had the email too. I am a primary teacher and was interviewed in London last year. It seems that my WACOT assessment arrived during the Christmas period and that was when DET stopped processing applications. Am glad to know that I would have been successful had the sponsorship continued. World economy stuff though has affected so much, and I can understand why Australia is cutting back on migration. I am very disappointed of course, but the email did say that the Ed Dept would contact me when the situation changed. I feel for everyone in the same situation as me as I know how I feel! Positive thinking is the way to go!
Evee
Hi Evee

This DET report may be of interest.

Good luck
Hs2Oz
Old May 21st 2009, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Evee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Herds2Oz
Hi Evee

This DET report may be of interest.

Good luck
Hs2Oz
Thank you Herds2Oz have already read this, but it was written before the current global stuff happened so I wonder if it has much credence now!!
Old May 30th 2009, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

I agree Evee. There is no date on it that I could see, but it was available early in the year, which would suggest, that it was being worked on in the latter half of 2008 when everything in WA was in a very different place to what it is now!

Briar