Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Is a 3 year course with QTS valid in QLD Aus?

Is a 3 year course with QTS valid in QLD Aus?

Old Jul 15th 2007, 1:00 pm
Happily living in Tsv,Qld

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all
Default Is a 3 year course with QTS valid in QLD Aus?

My OH completed a 3 year BA (hons) degree in Primary Education which included QTS. She has 5 years teaching experience.

I've read worrying messages about these 3 year courses not being recognised when completing the Teach Australia Skills Assessment, can anyone confirm/ dismiss or expand on this?

We were hoping to apply for 136 Visas.

Cheers,

Simon & Kate
Old Jul 15th 2007, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is a 3 year course with QTS valid in QLD Aus?

Originally Posted by Simon.and.Kate
My OH completed a 3 year BA (hons) degree in Primary Education which included QTS. She has 5 years teaching experience.

I've read worrying messages about these 3 year courses not being recognised when completing the Teach Australia Skills Assessment, can anyone confirm/ dismiss or expand on this?

We were hoping to apply for 136 Visas.

Cheers,

Simon & Kate
Unfortunatley as things stands australia require teachers to be 4 year qualified which must include at least one year of professional teacher training.

go to www.teachingaustralia.com.au to find out more.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hereshoping
Unfortunatley as things stands australia require teachers to be 4 year qualified which must include at least one year of professional teacher training.

go to www.teachingaustralia.com.au to find out more.
sorry that should have been

www.teachingaustralia.edu.au
Old Jul 15th 2007, 1:12 pm

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all

I can only find reference to the GTP qualification on their site. I have emailled them the same question...

Is it a simple dead-end then, or is there any cross-over courses that can be completed?
Old Jul 15th 2007, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

I can only find reference to the GTP qualification on their site. I have emailled them the same question...

Is it a simple dead-end then, or is there any cross-over courses that can be completed?
Look at the information pack- the section entitled assessment criteria. it states you must have 'completion of studycomparable to at least 4 years of full time tertiary level study (or the part time equivalent) in australia.'

I don't see how you could convince them that 3 years study in the uk is comparable to 4 years in australia.

a number of people have suggested that getting an MEd could be an option to meet this requirement, or that if you can get out there by another means your OH could do a DipEd once out there.

good luck
Old Jul 15th 2007, 2:36 pm

This seems pretty daft...

Because Kate knew she wanted to be a teacher she took the 3 year route. The terms were longer, making it longer than a normal 3 year course. She loves her job and is well respected within her school (she will be turning down certain promotion to SLT to make the move). Her combined experience and passion is worth more than "a 4 year course" - I know, because I have one!

I did a 4 year sandwich degree and then 'fell' into doing a PGCE course (secondary ICT). Don't get me wrong - I love what I do at times, but I am no way near as passionate about teaching as Kate, and I would definately consider other things - as I am sure would alot of teachers who did a degree and then did a PGCE as an after thought...

This is something we definately need to look into further. Kates parents are Aussie citizens, so I'm sure she would have no problem getting in via a sponsored route, but thats not much use if she can't teach when she gets there...
Old Jul 15th 2007, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

This seems pretty daft...

Because Kate knew she wanted to be a teacher she took the 3 year route. The terms were longer, making it longer than a normal 3 year course. She loves her job and is well respected within her school (she will be turning down certain promotion to SLT to make the move). Her combined experience and passion is worth more than "a 4 year course" - I know, because I have one!

I did a 4 year sandwich degree and then 'fell' into doing a PGCE course (secondary ICT). Don't get me wrong - I love what I do at times, but I am no way near as passionate about teaching as Kate, and I would definately consider other things - as I am sure would alot of teachers who did a degree and then did a PGCE as an after thought...

This is something we definately need to look into further. Kates parents are Aussie citizens, so I'm sure she would have no problem getting in via a sponsored route, but thats not much use if she can't teach when she gets there...
I understood you could do a conversion course when you got to Aus but I'm sorry i don't know anything more about it than that.I would suggest emailing a uni in Queensland directly to get more info. babs.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 2:58 pm

Cheers babs, I'll get onto it...
Old Jul 15th 2007, 9:59 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Yes unfortunately the three year degree with QTS isn't recognised in Australia.

If you can get the 120 points apply for a 136. If you are short, you could apply for the 138 (or the new one from 1st Sept) and be sponsored by her family.

This is still a PR visa, and you can be the main application with her as your spouse (it doesn't matter they're her parents).

You can then worry about her teaching in Australia when you get the visa and look into her options for getting qualified there.

I'm also secondary ICT teacher so if you need any more help just PM me
Old Jul 16th 2007, 9:54 am

Cheers guys,

I will definately be in touch ws99, as I'd really like some more information about teaching ICT downunder (even though we'd like to head to QLD).

Back to Kate though, I got the following reply from Teach Australia...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Good Morning

If your partner has a three year degree, and no other tertiary level study, this will be a problem. All teachers in Australia for migration purposes, and then to obtain registration, are required to have studied for four years full-time at the tertiary level. Having a three year degree in itself is not a problem if she also has another qualification which will let her “top up” to four years tertiary level study.

However if she doesn’t have anything else, this will be a problem. She will receive an unsuccessful assessment from Teaching Australia for the purposes of skilled migration and then if she were to apply to one of the eight teacher registration boards (at the state level) she will also find it practically impossible to obtain registration.

Regards,

Jennifer Forest

Skills Assessment Unit
Teaching Australia - Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership

5 Liversidge Street
ACTON ACT 0200

T: +61 (0) 2 6125 9027
E: [email protected]

W: www.teachingaustralia.edu.au

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Sunday, 15 July 2007 10:46 PM
To: Overseasquals
Subject: UK to Aus - 3 year BA + QTS Primary Degree

Hi,

We are currently in the initial stages of looking into a move to Queensland Australia from the UK. My partner is a Primary School Teacher with 5 years teaching experience.

She completed a Three Year BA (Hons) Degree in Primary Education with QTS (not the 4 years: 3 years degree + 1 year PGCE). I've been reading a lot of information, and have read from other people that this course is not recognised by Teaching Australia.

We intended to apply for a "Skilled – Independent visa (Subclass 136)", will this be a problem?

Thank you,

Simon Ward

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This is a real blow!

Old Jul 16th 2007, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

really sorry to hear that- it does seem like a daft rule. I'd look into the option of doing another year tertiary education either here or in oz if you think she can stand it.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 7:14 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Simon and Kate,

It's a bit of an inconvenience but nothing more - imagine if you'd both done a 3 yr degree/GTP. At least you are still eligible to apply for a PR visa!

Your best option is to apply for a 136 with you as the main applicant and Kate as your spouse.

If you can't get 120 points (but I think you do even without the 5 spouse points) apply for a 138.

After 1st September, points for english language ability will decrease unless you sit the IELTS (more time and money!).

Kate will just need to do a course when you get to Australia so that she can teach.

Have you applied for your skills assessment yet with TeachingAustralia?
Old Jul 16th 2007, 7:55 pm

I realise that it doesn't stop us - it has just come as a bit of a shock, and has offended Kate some what. Rightly so to be honest. It wouldn't be so bad if it was the other way round as I would consider other work anyway, but Kate is teacher and wouldn't be interested in doing anything else. It has been Kate's work that has held us back until now, simply because she loves what she does. We don't have any savings and are relying on equity from the sale of our house. We are lucky to have Kate's parents and can stay with them, but we only intended that to be short time whilst we found work work and got settled. Now we need to consider financing kate through a year of uni, which seems to be for nothing more than the sake of it...

I'm just ranting on now, sorry.

Thanks for the visa advice, I must admit, this is something that I still need to familiarise myself with properly. Until now I just presumed that we both apply for a 136 together.

You say "Your best option is to apply for a 136 with you as the main applicant and Kate as your spouse." - how does that work then?

I am skilled, so I can get a 136 visa, and Kate gets in because she is my spouse?

We weren't planning on applying for any thing until we get back from our trip this summer in September, and now it looks like there's no point Kate applying for a skills assessment anyway.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 9:54 pm
WS

Yes, you apply as the main applicant who gets the 120 points and she is your spouse on the same application (so also gets a PR visa just like yours).

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener.../136/index.htm

As long as you can prove a relationship/living together for more than 12 months you should be ok. Just be aware that the visas are changing on 1st Sept, so if you get the points now it would be much easier to apply before then.

PS. No, there's no point in Kate applying for a skills assessment.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 3:49 pm

More information from Teach Australia...

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, 16 July 2007 5:27 PM
To: Overseasquals
Subject: RE: UK to Aus - 3 year BA + QTS Primary Degree

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for your speedy response.

This has come as a real blow. Are you aware of any conversion/top up courses that Kate could complete either in the UK or Australia? Kate's parents are Australian Citizens so there are other options for a Visa, but this is no use if Kate can not teach when we arrived.

Thanks again,

Simon Ward.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr Ward

I am not aware of any 'top up' courses in the UK or Australia. The best option may be for your partner to undertake at least one year of tertiary level study resulting in a completed qualification. Your partner may wish to undertake studies which will benefit her career progression in future. As you are aware, in the UK there are graduate courses at university level in the area of education, with some being offered by correspondence so that students can keep working while they study. Similar courses are offered in Australia.

I hope that this information will be of assistance to you and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

Kristy Dodd

Assessment Officer

Teaching Australia – Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership

5 Liversidge Street

ACTON ACT 0200

P: (02) 6125 9024

F: (02) 6125 7598

E: [email protected]

W: www.teachingaustralia.edu.au

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the next step is to contact a University and find out what courses are available, work out the financial implications, and then check with TA that this will cover her...

Oh, and then after that she's got to hope she can find a job, or see where she is 'placed'...

(Chin up!)

Last edited by Simon.and.Kate; Jul 17th 2007 at 3:52 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.