Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Is a 3 year course with QTS valid in QLD Aus?

Is a 3 year course with QTS valid in QLD Aus?

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is a 3 year course with QTS valid in QLD Aus?

Originally Posted by Simon.and.Kate
Update:

We've been in contact with QCT alot, have worked out that Kate is 60 credit points short of their requirements.

To summerise though, Kate is doing an extra 'unit' at University which will be a 'work based project' and give 30 points. She has to go to a few meetings at uni, but then just cracks on with it her self - a bit like a mini disertation.

She can also get 30 points for mentoring ITT students, but could have just done a bigger project if this wasn't an option.

The way we see it, Kate should be able to get this done in a few months, and then apply for registration well before we arrive...

(fingers crossed)

We've kinda got over the bitterness stage and just getting on with what we need to do to allow Kate to teach in Queensland.

So do you mind me asking if you are back in UK and organising all this here or are you in Aus and doing it all there. Just keep hoping i might be able to find an option for me. Can I also ask who I would contact in QLD with regards to me? We finally have a CO so i feel i can start sorting things now. Good luck with it all, I agree you have to get over the bad feelings otherwise it eats into you.I think of it as a different system which it is up to us to fit into.
Take care, babs.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:10 pm
Happily living in Tsv,Qld

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all

We did our recci last August, but we're back in the UK now.

I also stand corrected - Kate is doing one 'bigger' project worth 60 points as there was a complication with getting 30 for being an IIT mentor.

She is doing this course/project with Sheffield Hallam Uni, which is were she did her original degree (we ended up staying here after uni). They've been really helpful, and have lots of options available and seem quite geared up for this kind of thing. The way we saw it was: Kate would be happier doing extra study here in the UK rather than when we get to Aus. There is a cost involved though, £550.

As regards to contacts in Aus, the only people we have been in touch with is people from the Queensland College of Teachers (via email) mainly Heather Shaw (see one of the previous posts), and then people in the Townsville Regional Office for Queensland Education (we spoke to them on the phone when we were there, and now have their email address - I'll be getting in touch with them soon).

I originally wanted to get both of our applications in to QCT together, but think I'll send mine off now, and do Kate's later once she's completed this 'project'. We've been warned that the processing time for Overseas Teachers to register to teach in Queensland can be upto 4 months, but you can apply before you arrive in Australia.

Kate's headteacher knows about our move and is very supportive and she has already obtained a number of references from SLT at her school.

Let me know if there's anything else we can tell you - although I might have to put you onto Kate, as my knowledge of what 'options' she had is pretty minimal...

Cheers,
Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:25 pm

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all

Right. Another update.

Kate went to uni today and found out what is involved in getting another 60 points. It turns out that the work might be a little more than she'd/we'd hoped.

It wouldn't be too bad, but what with everything else going on, Kate's just not convinced that spending this much time on work for this won't have an affect on her school work. It also looks like she'd be doing it right up until August, which means it'd probably be around September before she could then even apply to the QCT.

So, I think we're going to go ahead with an application, making it as strong as possible based on the QCT's previous words:
>2) if the college still did not accept your degree as equivalent to
>4 years of academic study, there is provision under the Education (Qld
>College of Teachers) Act 2005 to be considered for registration on the
>basis of a person's education, abilities, experience and contribution to
>education. With your application you would need to provide additional
>supporting documentation, such as written professional references,
>curriculum vitae, statements of service and evidence of ongoing
>professional learning, for example.
And see how she gets on...

Wish us luck!
Old May 12th 2008, 8:27 pm

Well guys - here's a bit of an update:

I (Simon = 4+ year qualifiction) recieved the good news that I am now registered (provisionally) to teach in Queensland.

We sent Kate's application off a week after mine, so sat waiting for a response. Last we Kate got an email from QCT.

Basically, since speaking to them last, the Queensland College of Teachers have a new 'official' process for 3 year qualified applicants.

There's loads of information, and they give you a username and password to access it. To summarise:

Applicants who have not obtained the qualifications currently prescribed in the Education (Queensland College of Teachers) Regulation 2005 may have their application assessed under s8(1)(a)(ii) and s9(1)(a)(ii) of the Education (Queensland College of Teachers) Act 2005 (the Act).

Applicants must submit:
• a completed application form, and
• a structured professional portfolio. The portfolio must be presented in the prescribed format. This comprises:
- a summary of the applicant’s personal details
- a summary of the applicant’s employment history supported by official statements of service
- a written response to three set tasks. These tasks require applicants to demonstrate how their education, abilities, experience and contribution to education establish that they meet the Professional Standards for Queensland Teachers (PSQT).
- two referee reports in the required format.

A copy of the portfolio submission proforma is attached as Appendix 1 and the referee report form is attached as Appendix 2. An applicant’s eligibility for Provisional or Full registration will be assessed on the basis of whether they have successfully demonstrated that they have met the standards.
Most of it is straight forward form-filling. The more challenging / time consuming bit is basically three written tasks, that amount to no more than 4 sides of A4, aimed to get you to describe how you meet all of the Professional Standards for the QCT.

The 2 references is in a set format, which asks the referee to rate you on each aspect of the Professional Standards (between 1-5), and give a description of why they have rated you so...

So, hopefully all will end well, but will just involve a little more jumping through hoops.

Obviously this only affects the ability to register in Queensland (not recognition of qualifications for skilled immigration purposes) and requires the applicant to have enough exerience to prove they already met the QCT standards, but hope for some none the less...

I'll let you know when were the other side of this little process...
Old May 13th 2008, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

I (Simon = 4+ year qualifiction) recieved the good news that I am now registered (provisionally) to teach in Queensland.

We sent Kate's application off a week after mine, so sat waiting for a response. Last we Kate got an email from QCT.

Basically, since speaking to them last, the Queensland College of Teachers have a new 'official' process for 3 year qualified applicants.

There's loads of information, and they give you a username and password to access it. To summarise:

Most of it is straight forward form-filling. The more challenging / time consuming bit is basically three written tasks, that amount to no more than 4 sides of A4, aimed to get you to describe how you meet all of the Professional Standards for the QCT.

The 2 references is in a set format, which asks the referee to rate you on each aspect of the Professional Standards (between 1-5), and give a description of why they have rated you so...

So, hopefully all will end well, but will just involve a little more jumping through hoops.

Obviously this only affects the ability to register in Queensland (not recognition of qualifications for skilled immigration purposes) and requires the applicant to have enough exerience to prove they already met the QCT standards, but hope for some none the less...

Can I just add to this as well,Simon, just as Kate is establishing herself with the 3 year degree I have also found out through Queensland University of Technology that I, as an NQT in the UK, who has taken the 3 year degree course, can take a Dip.Ed. (a year course) and then be qualified to be registered as a teacher in Queensland ( obviously as long as I pass!).
I know my way is a lot longer than Kate's but originally I thought I wouldn't be able to teach at all so an extra year doesn't seem too much of a problem and it will get me into the Aus. system as well.
Good luck to Kate and for pushing for all of us who've taken the 3 year route!
Hope you hear soon now.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 4:37 am
Just Joined

PoshPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for putting your experiences on this site. Have been looking for this thread for weeks. I was a bit cheeky before I emigrated and collected as much evidence as I could based on what you were posting. Im out here on my own knowing I couldn't teach but thankfully have my NNEB so I can work while I sort out my next step and attempt to get into teaching. People at home can't understand why Im not teaching yet as I was good enough at home, why not out here! Have had a few hassles in the four months I've been here but having seen you're last post I feel all fired up again, will get my arse into gear and get in contact with QCT. Thanks again.

Oh...a word of warning...Im working in childcare centres at the moment, 2 of them are very nice but the kids behaviour is appalling! I am beyond gobsmacked and I was known as a firm but fair teacher in the uk, having fun but with children knowing the boundaries...oh my god not here!!
Good Luck
Old Aug 13th 2008, 7:40 am

Just a quick update:

Kate is now registered to teach in Queensland!

http://www.qct.edu.au/Online/RegSear...x?RegNo=826209

We arrived last week, and got a personal email from the person who accessed her portfolio the day after to let us know.

So, if you have the experience, and don't mind jumping through hoops - it can be done!
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Just a quick update:

We arrived last week, and got a personal email from the person who accessed her portfolio the day after to let us know.

So, if you have the experience, and don't mind jumping through hoops - it can be done!
Wow, so there IS some flexibility. So pleased for you guys... good luck with the job hunt.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Just a quick update:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! That's great news. Did Kate do/send most of the required "stuff" from the UK or did she do it once she got to Oz? I did the 3 year BA too but only have 1 year's experience under my belt, do you think that will go against me?
Old Aug 14th 2008, 9:56 pm

She did it all whilst in the UK a few months ago (takes a couple of months to be processed).

Also, she had to have specific reference reports filled out by head and deputy, as well as all the evidence verified by the head.

Kate had 6 years experience, so I'm not sure how easy you'd find it with only one.

We're a bit hectic right now, but I'll try and give you more information later....
Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

She did it all whilst in the UK a few months ago (takes a couple of months to be processed).

Also, she had to have specific reference reports filled out by head and deputy, as well as all the evidence verified by the head.

Kate had 6 years experience, so I'm not sure how easy you'd find it with only one.

We're a bit hectic right now, but I'll try and give you more information later....

congratulations to Kate!!!Good luck with everything now!
Old Aug 17th 2008, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers that would be great. Have fun in the sun!
Old Sep 16th 2008, 3:51 am
Just Joined

raging_pixie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I've been following your posts for the last few months & was pleased to see Kate had finally got accepted. I can understand the frustration you must have had...

I was just wondering - I've recently arrived in Australia - I'm actually on a spouse visa, but I've also registered etc & just got my provisional registration through from QCT. I'm a little confused though as what to do with regards to the "permission to teach" and was wondering if you might be able to offer some advice. I've filled in the paperwork for them & sent it off a while ago, but I had to wait for my reg to come through. Did you have to visit them in person/have an interview or did they simply require paperwork from you?

Many thanks

& congrats again!

Kirsten
Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, just wanted to say well done.
Glad you got a happy ending after all your hard work.

Gems
Old Mar 15th 2009, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

martinibops is an unknown quantity at this point

Any further news on this qualification and teaching in Australia. I too have a BA(Hons) Professional Studies in Primary Education with QTS done through Bishop Grossetesste Uni College in Lincoln and was planning on using this to emigrate to Australia and teach. I am gutted to find out it may not be accepted. Any new or developments on this, don't want to apply and waste my money if I have no chance. My husband is an Asphalt worker and is not on skilled list. Help please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.