British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Are you living the life you moved for? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/you-living-life-you-moved-710389/)

steviedeluxe Mar 25th 2011 8:13 am

Re: Are you living the life you moved for?

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9263179)
Just watching the BBC Weatherman.
He's really taking the p!ss,...Manchester 19,...Ibiza 15. :huh:

Much as I've enjoyed the sunshine here in the UK this week, I think the weatherman's been a bit selective with the facts. Most nights here in the UK the temperature's gone down close to zero, and indeed frosts are going to be widespread at the weekend. Ibiza's minimum today is forecast to be 9C.
Having said all that, I'd sooner have the sunshine (even with cooler nights), rather than the grey wet stuff we will no doubt get later.:thumbup:

agoreira Mar 25th 2011 8:51 am

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9263199)
Today I was sunbathing. Couldn't do that in the UK unless I wanted hypothermia.

You are prone to a little exaggeration, Bil, not sure where you would have got hypothermia yesterday.:) Outer Hebrides maybe? It was showing 19 degrees here yesterday with wall to wall sunshine. Not sunbathing weather, but absolutely perfect for coast walking, which we did with our Portuguese ex neighbour, and then eat out outside a riverside pub. (anyone know Solva? Harbour Inn?) Haddock and chips, all the trimmings, £9.99 for two meals! Una ganga. Our ex neighbour, a sun worshipper like you, has put her house on the market, she said for her the final straw was the temps of plus 40 for several months in the summer.

ChLohyan Mar 25th 2011 9:33 am

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9257199)
I cherish the fact that we get a reliable summer in Spain. I used to keep track of the weather to prove all the people wrong who said I exaggerated the paucity of sunshine in the UK where we were. Perfect summer days with no cloud were a rarity, and it was interesting to notice that as soon as there was half an hour's sunshine, everyone would start saying 'Isn't it a lovely day?' It was as tho they were actually incapable of remembering anything except for the sunshine, and edited out all the grey bits.

I'm longing for living in spain after reading your posts. But language is the biggest problem for me.

bil Mar 25th 2011 10:06 am

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 9263729)
You are prone to a little exaggeration, Bil, not sure where you would have got hypothermia yesterday.:) Outer Hebrides maybe? It was showing 19 degrees here yesterday with wall to wall sunshine. Not sunbathing weather, but absolutely perfect for coast walking, which we did with our Portuguese ex neighbour, and then eat out outside a riverside pub. (anyone know Solva? Harbour Inn?) Haddock and chips, all the trimmings, £9.99 for two meals! Una ganga. Our ex neighbour, a sun worshipper like you, has put her house on the market, she said for her the final straw was the temps of plus 40 for several months in the summer.

That was to be a little humerous, but it was still sunbathing weather here. Watching the UK weather last week, your maximum temps were less than our minimum for the week. ;)

Menu del dia, 8 euros, effectively 4 courses.

Tell me, if she is a sun worshipper, how come she can't take it? Final straw? Hell, we work in the garden at 40+.

jackytoo Mar 25th 2011 10:23 am

Effectively 4 courses...do you mean the 8 cents pot of yougurt for pudding, the lettuce leaf and two slices of tomato for starter.:rofl:

I think the weather is a major factor for people who move although you hear them quoting the culture, fiestas etc. If so they would move to the North where there are more concerts, exhibitions etc.

bil Mar 25th 2011 10:29 am

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9263802)
Effectively 4 courses...do you mean the 8 cents pot of yougurt for pudding, the lettuce leaf and two slices of tomato for starter.:rofl:

I think the weather is a major factor for people who move although you hear them quoting the culture, fiestas etc. If so they would move to the North where there are more concerts, exhibitions etc.

Hence the phrase 'effectively'. Personally I prefer the crema catalan, but there's no accounting for tastes, is there?

All I know is, I can't afford to eat like that every day or I will end up looking like Mr Blobby.

bil Mar 25th 2011 10:33 am

Originally Posted by ChLohyan (Post 9263762)
I'm longing for living in spain after reading your posts. But language is the biggest problem for me.

Don't sweat it. I'm assuming that you speak no Spanish at all? Look up an evening course, start reading some teach yourself books and make a project of it.

It's not the hardest language in the world, and if you look there are patterns in verb structure that mean you don't have to learn it all parrot fashion!

cricketman Mar 25th 2011 10:36 am

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9263802)

For Brits, it all comes down to the weather I am sure of it. Evidenced by the Brits who live near us who seem to spend most their time lying by the communal pool listening to the motorway :)

There is plenty of culture in Andalucia, but Brits rarely go to it. Always something going on in Malaga city, plus loads of museums and theatres. The new Thysen museum opened yesterday.

For example, I went to El Rocio and Parque Donana (lots of culture and interesting nature) and not a British voice to be heard, yet at Torremolinos and Fuengirola (almost no culture!) British voices are everywhere

As for menus del dia, for 9 or 10 euros if you know where you are going you can eat very well indeed around here. For 7 or 8 euros you will struggle on the CDS. In Barcelona you can get a good menu del dia for 12 euros, any less was disappointing

HBG Mar 25th 2011 11:44 am

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 9263823)
For Brits, it all comes down to the weather I am sure of it. Evidenced by the Brits who live near us who seem to spend most their time lying by the communal pool listening to the motorway :)

There is plenty of culture in Andalucia, but Brits rarely go to it. Always something going on in Malaga city, plus loads of museums and theatres. The new Thysen museum opened yesterday.

For example, I went to El Rocio and Parque Donana (lots of culture and interesting nature) and not a British voice to be heard, yet at Torremolinos and Fuengirola (almost no culture!) British voices are everywhere

As for menus del dia, for 9 or 10 euros if you know where you are going you can eat very well indeed around here. For 7 or 8 euros you will struggle on the CDS. In Barcelona you can get a good menu del dia for 12 euros, any less was disappointing

Funnily enough it’s the exact opposite in the city of Torrevieja. The centre is entirely Spanish and has several cultural features, including three museums. Any cultural events are usually attended by the expats who live outside the city and I’ve yet to hear a Spanish voice in the museums, apart from the men at the door.

steviedeluxe Mar 25th 2011 11:49 am

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9263790)
That was to be a little humerous, but it was still sunbathing weather here. Watching the UK weather last week, your maximum temps were less than our minimum for the week. ;)

Menu del dia, 8 euros, effectively 4 courses.

Tell me, if she is a sun worshipper, how come she can't take it? Final straw? Hell, we work in the garden at 40+.

Well 4 courses is pushing it a bit, I always think of it as a two and a half course meal. The dessert is rarely anything elaborate, I often skip it and just have coffe, or sometimes take the fruit option. Incidentally I wonder if the starter course varies according to location. In Madrid it was often the heaviest course eg paella or fabada, and even the choice of mixed salad was fairly substantial. Doesn't surprise me to hear that's insignificant in Marbella.

Of course to me (and many) the best thing to a menu is the bottle or jarafe that comes included with the meal. Ok, it's going to be local table wine, but still more palatable than the glass of wine you'll pay £3 extra for with your meal in the UK. It's annoying that you can get decent wine in the UK but you get charged extravagant markups if you dine out. Answer is to take your own, but then they rip you off with corkage...

As CM mentions you'll get a better menu if you pay more (between 10 or 12 in Madrid gets you a good choice). Personally I like the local cafe-restaurants where often you can see the cooks working so you know it isn't micro-waved Brake Bros rubbish, but occasionally I can see the point in upgrading, and if you choose wisely you get good bread, which isn't always the case in the cheaper establishment

I still think we all eat better at home if we know how to cook!

Dick Dasterdly Mar 25th 2011 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 9263729)

If ever I move down S.W. I'm going to look for a spot right next to bil, or better still camp out in his back garden, cos I'm convinced he has is own little personal micro ecosystem. ;)

bil Mar 25th 2011 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9263910)
If ever I move down S.W. I'm going to look for a spot right next to bil, or better still camp out in his back garden, cos I'm convinced he has is own little personal micro ecosystem. ;)

It's a nice area. I know this was a mild winter, but in the whole winter I doubt that the night time temps reached -1 for more than two weeks worth. On the open terrace, it never went below 3C.

You can sunbathe in February if you have clear skies, and as Maccy D's say, 'I'm lovin' it!'

pain-in-spain Mar 25th 2011 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by casablanca83 (Post 9256949)
Hello

Just wanted to ask this question and see how many people have found that life in Spain is what they hoped and longed for.

I've got a lovely idea of walking along in the sunshine most days, sitting in squares with locals (and expats of course) until all hours eating tapas and drinking wine, meeting great, outgoing, similar people and inviting the round for BBQ's and Sangria every other week. :-)

I was just curious as to whether these expectations are realistic.

Of course I know that there is all the boring stuff too, work, trips to supermarket, chores, paying bills etc - but hopefully thats all a lot nicer when the sun is eating down outside...

CC

Have been reading all the posts here with interest but thought I'd go back to the OP to add my comments. As others will know, I'm currently in the process of planning and researching my move back to London after 8.5 years in Barcelona. I've brought up many negatives of life here and this proves that one persons heaven is another's hell. However, I too came here with great anticipation and excitement, not least because we bought a run down flat and had the enjoyment of the project for a couple of years and in many ways lived outside reality for a time. I was 40 when we moved here so knew I'd have several years work ahead but had sufficient savings for a while. Much of my complaining has been towards the very bad working conditions here and the cash in hand lifestyle that many Spaniards live. Even though my dad is Spanish I hadn't realised about these aspects prior to living here. Many posters on here are retired or work from home and live in Expat enclaves or the rural areas. Living in a big city like Barcelona is no different to any other but due to my family connections this is where we chose. I also live in an area of high immigration (non-European) so for me it's pretty much like London, the Spanish community is dying out which is very sad. If we had moved to another part of Spain or to a village I am sure i would have had another view of things and despite all my negative comments I still love Spain but I am not in love with it as I was when I first moved. Living here has re-kindled my desire to get back with my old flame, London! I am worried that things may not work out but one thing I have learned is to keep my options open. I am sure that in a couple of years I'll be dreaming of the idyllic life in a Spanish village with a sunny terrace and lemon trees and to be honest, in this life we all need a dream to keep us going - bizarrely, at the moment my dream is to be in London!

Rosemary Mar 25th 2011 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by pain-in-spain (Post 9263937)
Have been reading all the posts here with interest but thought I'd go back to the OP to add my comments. As others will know, I'm currently in the process of planning and researching my move back to London after 8.5 years in Barcelona. I've brought up many negatives of life here and this proves that one persons heaven is another's hell. However, I too came here with great anticipation and excitement, not least because we bought a run down flat and had the enjoyment of the project for a couple of years and in many ways lived outside reality for a time. I was 40 when we moved here so knew I'd have several years work ahead but had sufficient savings for a while. Much of my complaining has been towards the very bad working conditions here and the cash in hand lifestyle that many Spaniards live. Even though my dad is Spanish I hadn't realised about these aspects prior to living here. Many posters on here are retired or work from home and live in Expat enclaves or the rural areas. Living in a big city like Barcelona is no different to any other but due to my family connections this is where we chose. I also live in an area of high immigration (non-European) so for me it's pretty much like London, the Spanish community is dying out which is very sad. If we had moved to another part of Spain or to a village I am sure i would have had another view of things and despite all my negative comments I still love Spain but I am not in love with it as I was when I first moved. Living here has re-kindled my desire to get back with my old flame, London! I am worried that things may not work out but one thing I have learned is to keep my options open. I am sure that in a couple of years I'll be dreaming of the idyllic life in a Spanish village with a sunny terrace and lemon trees and to be honest, in this life we all need a dream to keep us going - bizarrely, at the moment my dream is to be in London!

Great post, so honest without slagging the place off which is difficult when you are feeling negative about a place.

Good luck.

Rosemary

Rosemary Mar 25th 2011 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 9263893)

As CM mentions you'll get a better menu if you pay more (between 10 or 12 in Madrid gets you a good choice). Personally I like the local cafe-restaurants where often you can see the cooks working so you know it isn't micro-waved Brake Bros rubbish,

There used to be an expensive,(for the area), restaurant in St. Leonards GB and their menu was copied from the Brake Bros catalogue complete with description. He even multiplied the cost price of each item by four exactly.
We have nearby menu del dias that vary from rubbish to excellent and one thing we have discovered is that it is not possible to judge by price. One of the best is in Cullera at 7.50 all local food no menus and make sure that your Valenciano is up to scratch.

Graham