British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Are you living the life you moved for? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/you-living-life-you-moved-710389/)

anonimouse Mar 23rd 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Are you living the life you moved for?

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 9259506)
I don’t want to emphasize the point about becoming ill in a foreign country, but once you get to a certain age it’s something you should consider and not isolate yourself to the extent where the facilities you may need are simply too far away and too inaccessible.

I recently became very ill whilst in Hungary, I was treated like royalty in Hospital the doctors always welcome me with hand shakes and comment on how I look, If I am seen to be waiting for an appointment, the Dr always comes over to me and apologises, Compare that to the UK.
Not sure how they treat you in Spain though, but I guess they are not as busy as the UK Doctors and probably have a little more time for you.

The old age stuff you mention must be hell, whats the answer though other than go back to the UK?

anonimouse Mar 23rd 2011 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 9259545)
If you don't want to sit down then go to a panaderia, you can usually get empanadas or empanadillas (pretty much like pies, usually of tuna, but can get meat ones). And you have all the sweet things too.

I often get a "surtido de salados" on a Saturday morning, these are a selection a savoury snacks in pastry, such as little sausage coissants, tortilla ones, bacon ones etc. Quite a lot of panaderias do them.

I do agree with you but, I don't find them very nice, in fact I laugh at Spanish cakes, all the, same just puff pastry, give me a meat n potatoe pie anyday, lol.

In future I am going to buy a camper/day van and take some egg butties:thumbsup:

cricketman Mar 23rd 2011 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by anonimouse (Post 9259552)
I do agree with you but, I don't find them very nice, in fact I laugh at Spanish cakes, all the, same just puff pastry, give me a meat n potatoe pie anyday, lol.

In future I am going to buy a camper/day van and take some egg butties:thumbsup:

I do like a good quality pork pie or sausage roll, but there are equivalents that are Spanish and just as good, though not available everywhere. I ate something called "queso de cerdo" in Granada, absolutely delicious. And in Malaga province I always go for lomo en manteca, means I dont miss any British food at all!

JLFS Mar 23rd 2011 4:05 pm

I have the life I expected, but then again, it is the same life I experienced when staying in our flat in Galicia, only there is more sun here.

I presume that some are living the life that they signed up for, but that life is not longer relevant to them now.

The same thing happens with Spanish couples who relocate. A city person from Madrid finding their slice of heaven in the mountains of Valencia.

A way from the hustle and bustle they were used to while working, with their own piece of land and peace and quiet, may find that the house and garden becomes too much, and what once was peace and quiet now is seen a lonliness.

Ilness, frailty may make the bringing in the wood to keep the place warm, more and more difficult, I sippose that would be the time to be heading back.

The couple who moved to a place where there were loads of playmates for their own children, now find that as their children have left, they dont want to be bothered with the noise of other peoples children.

Yes, they got what the signed up for, but now their needs have changed, it happens all the time.

That is why there are/were loads of Spanish country/villages for sale at reasonable prices, because although it suited the previous inhabitants at the time, their needs changed.

So probably the time to ask the question would be about 20 years after arriving.

agoreira Mar 23rd 2011 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9258812)
Actually, today I am most definitely NOT. :frown:
The rain is quite pissistant,the wind is blowing,its bloody brass monkey weather and I'm sitting here in all my winter woolies trying to keep warm.
My son says it's quite a nice day back at my UK home.

Yes, it does happen! :) We have just come in, been out walking all day, pub lunch outside, every seat outside taken, and it's been wall to wall sunshine all day. Just received a call from Spanish friends in Frigiliana, phoning to wish my wife a happy birthday, and according to him it's "muy feo" there. Trouble is I have to do it all again tomorrow! ;) I'm cream crackered!

bil Mar 23rd 2011 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 9259735)
Yes, it does happen! :) We have just come in, been out walking all day, pub lunch outside, every seat outside taken, and it's been wall to wall sunshine all day. Just received a call from Spanish friends in Frigiliana, phoning to wish my wife a happy birthday, and according to him it's "muy feo" there. Trouble is I have to do it all again tomorrow! ;) I'm cream crackered!

Enjoy the good weather. Days like that in the UK can be few and far between!

jackytoo Mar 23rd 2011 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 9259506)
I don’t want to emphasize the point about becoming ill in a foreign country, but once you get to a certain age it’s something you should consider and not isolate yourself to the extent where the facilities you may need are simply too far away and too inaccessible.

My wife was trying to help an elderly couple today, mostly by just interpreting for them at a health clinic, the couple having already received help and advice from two other local expat agencies set up for that purpose.

Once her business at the health centre was concluded my wife phoned me up panic stricken. On my arrival at the clinic I found two elderly British people, exceedingly confused and totally unable to get home, one had latter stage Alzheimers and the other one was too physically frail to help himself or his partner, and was clearly at the end of his tether.

We drove them home and helped them indoors. The Alzheimer sufferer should be placed in a care home in around four weeks time, at a cost of 2,100 Euros a month. Apart from thanking us, the frail partner didn’t even know what to do next. We telephoned the other agencies so that they could arrange home visits and help with the shopping and a million other things. In the UK, both of them would be in some sort of care home or perhaps looked after by family.

That help is not available in a foreign country, certainly not to the same extent, and both have lived in Spain for over 30 years.

According to this the British have a few complaints about the health service in your area.
http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news...le_29706.shtml

Last year spanish Doctors in andalucia were complaining that they were only allowed to allocate 7 mins per patient.

megmet Mar 23rd 2011 8:29 pm

[QUOTE=JLFS;9258656]I remember those get togethers, Italians were very much the same, when anyone got hold of "fabes" and the necessary meats, everyone had a fabads.

Everyone loved to see their own countrymen, and would have liked to do it more often, but, as most were working.

But I did not hear anyone say "that they only mixed with Brits, or only wanted to mix with Brits".[/QUOTE]

Neither did I, thanks for pointing that out to the people that just like to stir it. :thumbup:

Dick Dasterdly Mar 23rd 2011 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9259751)

Is it correct as I recall one poster mentioned during the last few days, that last year Cadiz had more rain than Manchester, Englands rainy city ?

Only asking like. :unsure:

bil Mar 23rd 2011 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9260208)
Is it correct as I recall one poster mentioned during the last few days, that last year Cadiz had more rain than Manchester, Englands rainy city ?

Only asking like. :unsure:

I would say that last winter, ie 2009 - 2010 had more rain than Noah.

It was a freak year, no-one had seen anything like it for 60+ years. However, we still had a fantastic summer.

This winter we only had 1 day when the rain was really heavy.

The comparison is thus. I only remember just the one truly fantastic summer in over 30 years (76) in the UK, all the rest rather indifferent. Here, there is just the one really crap winter in 60 years, with wall to wall fantastic summers.

Yeah. I love it here.

montgomail Mar 23rd 2011 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9260224)
I would say that last winter, ie 2009 - 2010 had more rain than Noah.

It was a freak year, no-one had seen anything like it for 60+ years. However, we still had a fantastic summer.

This winter we only had 1 day when the rain was really heavy.

The comparison is thus. I only remember just the one truly fantastic summer in over 30 years (76) in the UK, all the rest rather indifferent. Here, there is just the one really crap winter in 60 years, with wall to wall fantastic summers.

Yeah. I love it here.

1975 equalled it.

montgomail Mar 23rd 2011 9:11 pm

So did 1990.

There's proof in your theory in that we can remember the years so clearly.

HBG Mar 23rd 2011 9:14 pm

An interesting thread, still on topic. Didn’t we all arrive, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, ready to explore this exciting country? And what an exciting journey, whether on the coast or in the mountains. I remember asking a barmaid in rural Andalucia for Cerveza for my dogs, thinking that it meant water; the dogs didn’t complain.

I had a year in ‘real’ Spain, halfway to Madrid from the coast. I paid the mayor 50 euros for my satellite dish, 50 Euros for a squiggly yellow line outside my house, 50 Euros for the water and electricity connection which was already there, and 50 Euros to squash a speeding fine. I’m not complaining about any of it, I would gladly have paid 50 Euros when I was queuing to renew my residencia recently, I wouldn’t have needed to get out of bed with that mayor in ‘real’ Spain.

But, I’m reminded: Breathes there a man with soul so dead,
Who never to himself hath said,
Tis my own, my native land?

None of us will be able to say that, apart from JLFS, when the time comes.

steviedeluxe Mar 23rd 2011 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9259751)

We've had quite a few nice days recently here in London. Only downside is that the nights have been quite cold, and we're forecast more frost (and maximums of 7 or 8C) at the weekend. But on balance I prefer this to grey skies, and the sunshine is defintely a blessing. One thing that the UK does benefit from in summer is the long days - from 4am to 10pm it's light in mid-summer.

bil Mar 23rd 2011 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 9260301)
We've had quite a few nice days recently here in London. Only downside is that the nights have been quite cold, and we're forecast more frost (and maximums of 7 or 8C) at the weekend. But on balance I prefer this to grey skies, and the sunshine is defintely a blessing. One thing that the UK does benefit from in summer is the long days - from 4am to 10pm it's light in mid-summer.

But then Spanish winter days are longer. 6 of one...