British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Are you living the life you moved for? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/you-living-life-you-moved-710389/)

bil Mar 24th 2011 12:49 pm

Re: Are you living the life you moved for?

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9261766)
Well its hardly fit for the dog to go out here, and after a couple of days of it I'm already getting cheesed off, as I much prefer to be outdoors whenever possible.
I spent most of the last Winter in the UK and despite the low temperatures and occasional snow, there was never a day without a clear or comfortable spell to get out and about.
As if the rain wasn't enough the water supply system here seems to have given up the ghost, with fountains of water gushing up from mains and smaller pipes in all directions.
I looked at some of them a couple of days ago and it appears to be down to shoddy workmanship with large grade gravel and stones in direct contact with the pipes which are barely below the road surface.

I agree with you that most days in the UK are tolerable.

Tolerable. Not uplifting.

Dick Dasterdly Mar 24th 2011 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9261830)
I agree with you that most days in the UK are tolerable.

Tolerable. Not uplifting.

Yes, but even constant wall to wall blue sky and sun can get monotonous after a while and sometimes even oppresive when temps are excessive, so a heavy thunderstorm once in a while makes for a nice break.
However at the minute the constant rain is combined with low temps and windy spells, so not quite so good.

bil Mar 24th 2011 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9261856)
Yes, but even constant wall to wall blue sky and sun can get monotonous after a while and sometimes even oppresive when temps are excessive, so a heavy thunderstorm once in a while makes for a nice break.
However at the minute the constant rain is combined with low temps and windy spells, so not quite so good.

When I was a lot younger, the traditional pattern was that after a few days of classically good summer weather the air would become sultry, there would be a thunderstaorm and the air would clear.

More recently, there was less classically good weather, there would be thunderstorms, and the air didn't clear.

As I have said before, summer people don't find sunshine boring, but if you were brought up with wall to wall sunshine, I can understand that you grow tired of it.

I certainly grew totally fed up with the UK weather I had been reared in.

anonimouse Mar 24th 2011 5:45 pm

Yes I'm living the life I moved for, it's great.:thumbsup:

Now about Spain's blue sky being a bit monotonous, yep I found that when I was there but let me tell you, I very quickly started longing for them again after moving away for a short while, Even the winters are better, funny thing I found I never longed for the UK's grey cloud or damp and cold weather or even it's sunny weather either.

bil Mar 24th 2011 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by anonimouse (Post 9262410)
Yes I'm living the life I moved for, it's great.:thumbsup:

Now about Spain's blue sky being a bit monotonous, yep I found that when I was there but let me tell you, I very quickly started longing for them again after moving away for a short while, Even the winters are better, funny thing I found I never longed for the UK's grey cloud or damp and cold weather or even it's sunny weather either.

One of the huge draws for the English is the Spanish climate with its reliable sunshine.

anonimouse Mar 24th 2011 6:43 pm

My neighbours Grand children are always saying they prefer it cold and wish they could go to England, when our tobaconist went, I asked what he thought, he said it was always dark.

I reckon they would soon get fed up of the UK weather, but on the other hand maybe we all get a bit fed up of what we have been used to for years, and prefer the change, they may feel about the sun what we feel about the rain, I don't know.

Dick Dasterdly Mar 24th 2011 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by anonimouse (Post 9262536)
My neighbours Grand children are always saying they prefer it cold and wish they could go to England, when our tobaconist went, I asked what he thought, he said it was always dark.

I reckon they would soon get fed up of the UK weather, but on the other hand maybe we all get a bit fed up of what we have been used to for years, and prefer the change, they may feel about the sun what we feel about the rain, I don't know.

True, many of them do.
I used to get quite a few visitors from various countries and climes.
When I apologised for the weather, I often got replies such as "think nothing of it, it's a very pleasant change for us."
Personally I enjoy the seasons.
Variety is the spice.

bil Mar 24th 2011 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9263044)
True, many of them do.
I used to get quite a few visitors from various countries and climes.
When I apologised for the weather, I often got replies such as "think nothing of it, it's a very pleasant change for us."
Personally I enjoy the seasons.
Variety is the spice.

If anything I find that the seasons here in Spain are more clearly distinguished than they were in East Anglia.

jackytoo Mar 24th 2011 10:42 pm

What is good about southern spain they have an extra season, when the first rains come after summer, sept/oct it is like a second spring. I don't go for seasons much, not winter in any country. My Mother used to love autumn in England, drawing the curtains and snuggling down. I think it's because we lived overseas a lot.

Dick Dasterdly Mar 24th 2011 10:55 pm

When the weathers like it has been these past few days, I miss the cosy UK house with wall to wall carpets, central heating, dbl glazing etc. even worse when the folk back home in the N.E. tell me they have been enjoying very pleasant warm sunny weather.
Not that it will last though, snow in June is not uncommon up there.

jackytoo Mar 24th 2011 11:17 pm

Was down in Winchester today the temperature was 19.5C...of course it won't last:lol:

Dick Dasterdly Mar 24th 2011 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9263157)
Was down in Winchester today the temperature was 19.5C...of course it won't last:lol:

Just watching the BBC Weatherman.
He's really taking the p!ss,...Manchester 19,...Ibiza 15. :huh:

betris Mar 24th 2011 11:34 pm

living the life.ha.i sold up and came to spain for the boose, babes and the sun.now ive got no money for boose.the sun has aged me by about 30 years.and babes just run away from me.ive only been here for 4 flipin weeks:rofl:

bil Mar 24th 2011 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9263108)
When the weathers like it has been these past few days, I miss the cosy UK house with wall to wall carpets, central heating, dbl glazing etc. even worse when the folk back home in the N.E. tell me they have been enjoying very pleasant warm sunny weather.
Not that it will last though, snow in June is not uncommon up there.

Today I was sunbathing. Couldn't do that in the UK unless I wanted hypothermia.

Rosemary Mar 25th 2011 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9263108)
When the weathers like it has been these past few days, I miss the cosy UK house with wall to wall carpets, central heating, dbl glazing etc.

I have to agree with you there.

Graham