Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are you a benefit fraud.. and living in Spain?

Are you a benefit fraud.. and living in Spain?

Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:10 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you a benefit fraud.. and living in Spain?

Originally Posted by bil
There is a depressingly high % of the population I feel that would turn grass at the drop of a hat, especially if the person concerned were of a different religious, social or racial group.

Or didn't read the Daily Shite.
Or on any sort of sickness or disability Benefits.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:14 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
Or on any sort of sickness or disability Benefits.
There's just so many people who are afflicted with a spiteful nastiness. Curtain twitching, prissy little nonentities who hate to see anyone get anything they are not entitled to.

Oddly, people like that seldom seek to reform the system from the top down, but just have an agenda to penalise the little people at the bottom who get a bit more than they should.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:16 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
There's just so many people who are afflicted with a spiteful nastiness. Curtain twitching, prissy little nonentities who hate to see anyone get anything they are not entitled to.

Oddly, people like that seldom seek to reform the system from the top down, but just have an agenda to penalise the little people at the bottom who get a bit more than they should.
I don't agree with Benefit Fraud, here or in any other country.

But I give advice on a Benefits forum, amd I must admit the amount of people who want to 'shop' their neighbour who is 'not really disabled' is far more than the people who want to cheat.

It is most dispiriting.

My husband claims Incapacity Benefit from the UK here in Spain, quite legitimately. He jumps through all the hoops the DWP ask him to, and they always say he has 'met the threshold' and carry on giving him the Benefit. He tells no-one he is on the Benefit, because people would see him looking fit and healthy and always active and would say there was nothing wrong with him, and may even report him.

Shall I just say that not all disabilities are visible.

Last edited by scampicat; Dec 31st 2010 at 4:24 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:18 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree with BenefitfFraud, here or in any other country.

But I give advice on a Benefits forum, amd I must admit the amount of people who want to 'shop' their neighbour who is 'not really disabled' is far more than the people who want to cheat.

It is most dispiriting.
What sort of mindset drives you to spy on your neighbour like that?
Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:18 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I posted before I realised that the thread was about benefit fraud! I thought it was one of the Spain-versus-UK ones!

On-topic now, I promise!

I would maybe 'grass' IF I was absolutely sure the person WAS fraudulently claiming Benefits AND I had already talked to them about it. Because they are not stealing from 'the Government', they are stealing from you and me and, just as importantly, making all genuine claimants suspect.

But I would have to think about it very seriously before I reported them. I would like to think that once they knew that I knew, they would stop claiming by themselves.
I hate to say it, but what about "turn the other cheek"?

As I said, its a slippery slope, today its benefit cheats, tomorrow its something else, in fact it will end up being whatever we are told is the next big thing. Like has already been said the revenue they will gain is far less than they will spend (If the Mandleson Media Machine has got their figures right) so one wonders what the purpose of this is, maybe its designed to get people to become grass's.... if thats the case, like I said, not for me.....
Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:19 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I posted before I realised that the thread was about benefit fraud! I thought it was one of the Spain-versus-UK ones!

On-topic now, I promise!

I would maybe 'grass' IF I was absolutely sure the person WAS fraudulently claiming Benefits AND I had already talked to them about it. Because they are not stealing from 'the Government', they are stealing from you and me and, just as importantly, making all genuine claimants suspect.

But I would have to think about it very seriously before I reported them. I would like to think that once they knew that I knew, they would stop claiming themselves.
That's probably the best way to address the issue, have a quiet word first with the offender..
When I lived in Oxford some English language students asked me for some help with their rogue landlady. Apparently she was withholding their deposit for no good reason (probably just trying to rip them off, as they had a flight home booked not long afterwards). Since I suspected she wasn't declaring this income to the Revenue I helped them to put together an email stating that "they didn't want to involve the authorities" but that they had "a local friend" who could ask questions (ie me) if she refused to give back their money. Unsurprisingly enough the deposit was returned fairly sharpish after that!
Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:22 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by rugbymatt

As I said, its a slippery slope, today its benefit cheats, tomorrow its something else, in fact it will end up being whatever we are told is the next big thing. Like has already been said the revenue they will gain is far less than they will spend (If the Mandleson Media Machine has got their figures right) so one wonders what the purpose of this is, maybe its designed to get people to become grass's.... if thats the case, like I said, not for me.....
Yeah. To me, the idea of grassing a neighbour or worse, a friend, smacks of something deeply unpleasant.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:23 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
That's probably the best way to address the issue, have a quiet word first with the offender..
When I lived in Oxford some English language students asked me for some help with their rogue landlady. Apparently she was withholding their deposit for no good reason (probably just trying to rip them off, as they had a flight home booked not long afterwards). Since I suspected she wasn't declaring this income to the Revenue I helped them to put together an email stating that "they didn't want to involve the authorities" but that they had "a local friend" who could ask questions (ie me) if she refused to give back their money. Unsurprisingly enough the deposit was returned fairly sharpish after that!
Motes and beams, motes and beams.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people shit on someone who can do the same, or worse to them.

How stupid is that?
Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:24 pm
Ex Expat

I said I would have to think very seriously before I reported anyone, and then I would have to be absolutely sure, and would speak to them first.

Actually I do know a man in the UK who is claiming Benefits to which he is not entitled, I have spoken to him about it and now I have left him to deal with his conscience, I have not and will not report him.

However, I will say this. You would (presumably) report someone breaking into your neighbour's home and stealing their telly? Well Benefit fraud is theft, exactly the same.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:25 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Yeah. To me, the idea of grassing a neighbour or worse, a friend, smacks of something deeply unpleasant.
When I lived in Spain I lived among Spanish and Basque people, my OH was Basque and her family told me stories about neighbour turned against neighbour, sibling against sibling, in many cases costing lives and it all happened in a matter of a couple of years. To me it stinks of big brother society and its a bad place to be.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:26 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Motes and beams, motes and beams.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people shit on someone who can do the same, or worse to them.

How stupid is that?
Well, I imagine she still tries it on. If you get a fresh influx of language student tenants every 2 or 4 weeks, it must be quite lucrative to withhold the deposit, even if it only works part of the time.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:28 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by bil
What sort of mindset drives you to spy on your neighbour like that?
Can you clarify?

Do you mean me, for giving advice on the forum?

Or do you mean the people who 'grass'?
Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:32 pm
Straw Man.

I said I would have to think very seriously before I reported anyone, and then I would have to be absolutely sure, and would speak to them first.

Actually I do know a man in the UK who is claiming Benefits to which he is not entitled, I have spoken to him about it and now I have left him to deal with his conscience, I have not and will not report him.

However, I will say this. You would (presumably) report someone breaking into your neighbour's home and stealing their telly? Well Benefit fraud is theft, exactly the same.
There are plenty of people who say that much of the benefit fraud is caused by the complexity and at times disorganised way that many of the benefits are not only paid but also distributed, many feel that paying winter fuel allowances to countries like Spain and Portugal is theft, it is for the authorities to uphold law, not for a societies citizens to enforce the ones they like. I have asked this a dozen times on here, how many of us have by design or by default, or even in a lost moment, just gone over the speed limit? Thats illegal, and it costs lives. Pandoras box in my opinion.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:34 pm
Not Banned (yet)

There are plenty of people who say that much of the benefit fraud is caused by the complexity and at times disorganised way that many of the benefits are not only paid but also distributed, many feel that paying winter fuel allowances to countries like Spain and Portugal is theft, it is for the authorities to uphold law, not for a societies citizens to enforce the ones they like. I have asked this a dozen times on here, how many of us have by design or by default, or even in a lost moment, just gone over the speed limit? Thats illegal, and it costs lives. Pandoras box in my opinion.
Excellent post
Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:41 pm
bil
Banned

I really don't feel it's exactly the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.