Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are you a benefit fraud.. and living in Spain?

Are you a benefit fraud.. and living in Spain?

Old Dec 30th 2010, 5:46 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you a benefit fraud.. and living in Spain?

Originally Posted by anonimouse
and still need the heating on

Naaa... IMO it's far cheaper to run my house in Spain than any of my other houses ever were.

The most expensive utility bill I get in Spain is the Internet, that is scandalous but even with this it 's nowhere near close to UK bills. I simply couldn't afford to live in the Uk unless I was claiming it all.
Really? I live at an elevation of about 1000 feet and we have the heating on fo 4 months of the year, probably about the same amount of time people use their A/C is Spain if they have it.

Its odd, you said in your post that it seemed that people tend to try and get one up on each other on here, in fact you felt so passionate about it that you even edited your post to add more to it, yet in the same thread you then go on to make the claim about CM's electricity usage being lower in Spain, thus putting Spain ahead of the UK....
Old Dec 30th 2010, 5:54 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Really? I live at an elevation of about 1000 feet and we have the heating on fo 4 months of the year, probably about the same amount of time people use their A/C is Spain if they have it.

Its odd, you said in your post that it seemed that people tend to try and get one up on each other on here, in fact you felt so passionate about it that you even edited your post to add more to it, yet in the same thread you then go on to make the claim about CM's electricity usage being lower in Spain, thus putting Spain ahead of the UK....

Ok if it makes you happier, I would rather live in the Uk as it's far cheaper.

I know what my annual bills in Spain add up to and they are far less, maybe others have huge mansions or are very extravagant?

No matter what you say mine are much cheaper in Spain and I find it so hard to accept that others in Spain find it more expensive one bill alone in the UK, Council tax, would cover my total outgoings in Spain.

Maybe others do pay more over here, I can only speak for my own situation
Old Dec 30th 2010, 6:02 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Ok if it makes you happier, I would rather live in the Uk as it's far cheaper.

I know what my annual bills in Spain add up to and they are far less, maybe others have huge mansions or are very extravagant?

No matter what you say mine are much cheaper in Spain and I find it so hard to accept that others in Spain find it more expensive one bill alone in the UK, Council tax, would cover my total outgoings in Spain.

Maybe others do pay more over here, I can only speak for my own situation
Why does everything have to be a pissing contest though? Bills may well be much lower, but wages are much higher in the UK and the opportunity for British people to earn money in the UK is by definition much easier, but as I said, why does everything have to be a contest?

Over the last few years on this forum I have noticed that the people who are happier in their chosen countries are the ones who went for an experience, an adventure, for a challenge, generally, and it is generally, the most miserable ones went to get away from something, or went because they hated the UK or whatever else their answer is.... Why do threads always end up in a pissing contest, and then to have someone complain its like a pissing contest, only to be part of it themselves makes absolutely no sense.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 6:22 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Why does everything have to be a pissing contest though? Bills may well be much lower, but wages are much higher in the UK and the opportunity for British people to earn money in the UK is by definition much easier, but as I said, why does everything have to be a contest?

Over the last few years on this forum I have noticed that the people who are happier in their chosen countries are the ones who went for an experience, an adventure, for a challenge, generally, and it is generally, the most miserable ones went to get away from something, or went because they hated the UK or whatever else their answer is.... Why do threads always end up in a pissing contest, and then to have someone complain its like a pissing contest, only to be part of it themselves makes absolutely no sense.
I don't work anywhere, nor do I have a desire to, I find it cheaper in my house in Spain to live, in the Uk I would have to either work or go out begging.

You make it a contest yourself, you latch on to someone and keep at them picking holes in everything they say as if they are all telling lies, and only you speak the truth.

You totally lost me in your last rant mind, when you mentioned CM and putting Spain ahead???? Sorry
Old Dec 30th 2010, 6:33 pm
Straw Man.

I don't work anywhere, nor do I have a desire to, I find it cheaper in my house in Spain to live, in the Uk I would have to either work or go out begging.

You make it a contest yourself, you latch on to someone and keep at them picking holes in everything they say as if they are all telling lies, and only you speak the truth.

You totally lost me in your last rant mind, when you mentioned CM and putting Spain ahead???? Sorry
Oh dear god!

Well so long as you don't have to work, good for you, you're alright and sod the rest of them.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 6:33 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

We live live in a fairly hot area, but would only use the a/c for a comparatively short while, and a lot less than 4 months.

As regards Utility bills, at the moment the electric is 70 a month, give or take a bit, and the council tax equivalent I think is a tenth of what it was in the UK.

The UK council tax was about 2,500 a year.

Here the electric is less than 1K, and the council tax under 500. Call that 1,500, add to that about 250 for wood and that's 2K

Basically then all my utes here add up to less than my council tax was in the UK., and that's without adding the UK heating, water and electric.

Wages are far better in the UK, but I remember only too clearly how hard we struggled to stay ahead.

As Matt says, it is impossible for you to properly compare almost anything like this between the UK and Spain.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 6:37 pm

Oh dear god!

Well so long as you don't have to work, good for you, you're alright and sod the rest of them.
Well that's the way you may see it, Don't worry I have done my fair share mate.

I am only putting my opinion on running costs across, you have my permission to laugh them off, but please keep polite.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 6:37 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by bil
As Matt says, it is impossible for you to properly compare almost anything like this between the UK and Spain.
... and I'm not sure why we need to.... If people are happy in Spain, brilliant, if they are happy in the UK, great, why do some people feel the need to go on and on about how much better they are where they are... to me it stinks of them trying to convince themselves.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 6:38 pm
Straw Man.

Well that's the way you may see it, Don't worry I have done my fair share mate.

I am only putting my opinion on running costs across, you have my permission to laugh them off, but please keep polite.
You do that a lot don't you?
Old Dec 30th 2010, 6:44 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

... and I'm not sure why we need to.... If people are happy in Spain, brilliant, if they are happy in the UK, great, why do some people feel the need to go on and on about how much better they are where they are... to me it stinks of them trying to convince themselves.
In certain cases, it does indeed. A bit of the 'Methinks the lady doth protest too much...'
Old Dec 30th 2010, 6:48 pm

You do that a lot don't you?
Look Rugbymatt, No offence but why do you bother coming on a forum if you don't like other peoples opinions and think everyone is having a go or being nasty? I don't recall making any snide comments about or to you in the past. I'm not you enemy.

Chill out get a beer down ya man
Old Dec 30th 2010, 6:54 pm
Straw Man.

Look Rugbymatt, No offence but why do you bother coming on a forum if you don't like other peoples opinions and think everyone is having a go or being nasty? I don't recall making any snide comments about or to you in the past. I'm not you enemy.

Chill out get a beer down ya man
Hold on.... you made the comment about people being a bunch of nasty arseholes love, not me, I just pointed out the irony of you doing that... now leave the discussion about the UK "going to the dogs" to the adults eh? Cheers.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 7:07 pm

Hold on.... you made the comment about people being a bunch of nasty arseholes love, not me, I just pointed out the irony of you doing that... now leave the discussion about the UK "going to the dogs" to the adults eh? Cheers.
Errr yes, but only SOME.

Yeah that's me outta the Uk discusion...

I wasn't there long enough.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

"You know what, some of you on here are absolute F...ing Ar"·e H··les"
Luv' it!
Old Dec 30th 2010, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Agree, it's a bit like whistling in the dark! If everything is perfect, why not just enjoy it, be smug, congratulate yourself on making the right decision, why the need to try and convince the rest of us?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.