British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Are you a benefit fraud.. and living in Spain? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/you-benefit-fraud-living-spain-698293/)

steviedeluxe Dec 27th 2010 3:50 pm

Are you a benefit fraud.. and living in Spain?

Ah ha - the government's on your case!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12081634

A crackdown has been launched by the government on UK benefit cheats who live abroad.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has joined forces with overseas counterparts to target the countries where the most cases take place.

The DWP said the highest instances of fraud was recorded by people living in Spain, Pakistan, the US and Bangladesh.

bil Dec 27th 2010 4:17 pm

Re: Are you a benefit fraud.. and living in Spain?

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 9062216)

First things first, let them deal with all the benefit fraudsters in Westminster...

bobd22 Dec 27th 2010 4:24 pm

Good too many people ripping of the UK benefit system hence the state we are in

anonimouse Dec 27th 2010 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9062266)
First things first, let them deal with all the benefit fraudsters in Westminster...

Yes it's exactly this that makes me wonder whether we should support the fraudsters or turn them in.

It looks like the only difference is that those in Westminster can get away with lots more out of the kitty, and legally if they know the loopholes, and they obviously do, and some have unfortunately gone even further.:frown:

But on the other hand......

I have often wondered why all the expats that have gone back to the Uk with the recession biting, have gone back if they can't afford to manage in Spain, it's far more expensive there, unless of course they will be going back to claim benefits.:unsure:

davidinspain Dec 27th 2010 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 9062277)
Good too many people ripping of the UK benefit system hence the state we are in

No the "state we are in" was caused by greedy bankers

angiescarr Dec 27th 2010 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Daveinspain (Post 9062591)
No the "state we are in" was caused by greedy bankers

:thumbup:

angiescarr Dec 27th 2010 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by angiescarr (Post 9062623)
:thumbup:

Does anyone know about the tax implications (in Spain) of having an unemployed partner. My OH has been unemployed here for a year now. I've been autonomo here for 9 months.
We're struggling frankly. Apparently I can put him down as a dependant when I hand in my annual accounts in Jan. But what does that do for us? Do I get any tax breaks for this?

wilki Dec 27th 2010 9:41 pm

People that have gone back to the UK, have had no choice, they stuck it out for as long as they could. and really most should have gone back along time before they did. There familys will have come to there aid in alot of cases, and then theres the goverment help if all else fails.

wilki Dec 27th 2010 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 9062216)

So Stevie boy, your whiter than white I take it.

steviedeluxe Dec 27th 2010 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by wilki (Post 9062662)
So Stevie boy, your whiter than white I take it.

Ha, i can honestly say i've never considered claiming benefits whilst living in another country! I suppose that shows a lack of imagination?

bil Dec 27th 2010 10:21 pm

Dave in Sopain has it right. The shit we are in is that caused by the grasping bastards in the uS flogging ninja mortgages.

However, blaming a few benefit scroungers is so much easier than ever doing anything effective, eh?

Plus it distracts from the real problem.

DENISE WALTERS Dec 27th 2010 10:35 pm

yes it would annoy me if claimants were living in Spain and my tax is keeping them.
In saying this I dont find Spain in these days cheap to live , In fact I find it cheaper in UK
Clothes , shoes food all less expensive I find Spain a rip off for Brits:D

scampicat Dec 27th 2010 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by anonimouse (Post 9062418)
Yes it's exactly this that makes me wonder whether we should support the fraudsters or turn them in.

It looks like the only difference is that those in Westminster can get away with lots more out of the kitty, and legally if they know the loopholes, and they obviously do, and some have unfortunately gone even further.:frown:

But on the other hand......

I have often wondered why all the expats that have gone back to the Uk with the recession biting, have gone back if they can't afford to manage in Spain, it's far more expensive there, unless of course they will be going back to claim benefits.:unsure:

I don't find it so. Some things are more expensive, but others such as basic groceries, internet, clothes, furniture, second-hand cars etc are MUCH cheaper.

And the customer service is better.

As regards Benefit fraudsters, it is important to remember that some UK Benefits can be claimed quite legitimately in Spain.

As for the Westminster fraudsters...I personally don't think that their wrongdoings are any justification for anyone else to commit a wrongdoing!

anonimouse Dec 27th 2010 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by DENISE WALTERS (Post 9062763)
yes it would annoy me if claimants were living in Spain and my tax is keeping them.
In saying this I dont find Spain in these days cheap to live , In fact I find it cheaper in UK
Clothes , shoes food all less expensive I find Spain a rip off for Brits:D

I agree, but the utility bills and council tax and water rates are much cheaper in Spain don't you think?

Dick Dasterdly Dec 27th 2010 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by anonimouse (Post 9062802)
I agree, but the utility bills and council tax and water rates are much cheaper in Spain don't you think?

True, but overall I think it's swings and roundabouts.

I don't know the official inflation figures for what they're worth anyway, but it does appear to me that prices have been shooting up much faster in Spain than in the UK, and appear to be still doing so.