Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are you affected by the heat?

Are you affected by the heat?

Old Aug 20th 2011, 11:17 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you affected by the heat?

Originally Posted by lynnxa
like that

have found
http://spanishexperts.blogspot.com/2...-vs-usted.html
which professes to put some light on the matter - but its Mexican Spanish as opposed to Spanish Spanish (is there such a thing outside Madrid?)
Old Aug 20th 2011, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil

A Spanish guy told me once that a tilde is the emphasis. The wiggly bit on the top of the n isn't a tilde and doesn't have a seperate identy. n+wiggly is called 'enya'
Enye, ¿no? Enya is an Irish singer! Going back several years all Spanish dictionaries listed ñ and ll as separate letters, now they are talking about trying to do away with the ñ all together.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 11:24 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Try typing e s p a tilde n a

That's how the accents work on mine, altho I have ñ as a single key.

A Spanish guy told me once that a tilde is the emphasis. The wiggly bit on the top of the n isn't a tilde and doesn't have a seperate identy. n+wiggly is called 'enya'
technically it is a tilde - but I find that confuses students when explaining the sílaba tónica, so I tend to go along with the idea that it isn't really

after all, the ñ (enye) IS a separate letter, as you say

jeez the heat must be affecting me................I don't often agree with you
Old Aug 20th 2011, 11:27 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Enye, ¿no? Enya is an Irish singer! Going back several years all Spanish dictionaries listed ñ and ll as separate letters, now they are talking about trying to do away with the ñ all together.
well they did away with ll last november

and changed the names of w & y
Old Aug 20th 2011, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

well they did away with ll last november

and changed the names of w & y
To what? my NIE has a Y in it, maybe I've been saying it wrong for six months!
Old Aug 20th 2011, 12:15 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
like that

have found
http://spanishexperts.blogspot.com/2...-vs-usted.html
which professes to put some light on the matter - but its Mexican Spanish as opposed to Spanish Spanish (is there such a thing outside Madrid?)
The purest Spanish is claimed to be spoken in Castilla-La Vieja, in its cities of Valladolid, Leon and Salamanca. An old Spanish teacher told me that Castellano was spoken in Castilla, and Espanyol elsewhere, but I've met south Americans who insist that they speak Castellano.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 12:19 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by fionamw
To what? my NIE has a Y in it, maybe I've been saying it wrong for six months!
it still exists

it's just not called i griega now - you're supposed to call it ye

not that many people would really care I guess - even if they know....

the RAE makes these odd changes every now & then, & I would imagine that kids are now being taught to say ye, whereas us oldies will always call it i griega
Old Aug 20th 2011, 12:21 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

You need to visit urgencias......urgently.....very concerned for your health.....especially your brain!!!!!!!!

Rosemary
Old Aug 20th 2011, 12:28 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by The Oddities
You need to visit urgencias......urgently.....very concerned for your health.....especially your brain!!!!!!!!

Rosemary
Old Aug 20th 2011, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

the RAE makes these odd changes every now & then, & I would imagine that kids are now being taught to say ye, whereas us oldies will always call it i griega
I'm with you, it'll always be i griega and uve doble to me!
"W" is, as of November 28, 2010, officially called "doble uve" (although in the past it has also been called "uve doble," "doble ve," and "doble u"), and "y" is now officially called "ye" (because it is used more often as a consonant than as a vowel, although it has traditionally been called "i griega"). These official uses are considered recommendations, not requirements (i.e., the other names are not considered "wrong"), but the expectation of the RAE is that teachers will teach the official version which, in the RAE's view, should make things simpler for students of Spanish
Old Aug 20th 2011, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
I'm with you, it'll always be i griega and uve doble to me!
I'll be checking with 9yo very shortly to see if they'd been told there's a change! (and no, Lynn I didn't think the Y had been erased, merely that when spouting my NIE number I need to say i griega .... or not, now, apparently)
Old Aug 20th 2011, 12:57 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by fionamw
I'll be checking with 9yo very shortly to see if they'd been told there's a change! (and no, Lynn I didn't think the Y had been erased, merely that when spouting my NIE number I need to say i griega .... or not, now, apparently)
I realise you didn't.......but some of my students were a bit worried when I told them, so I thought I'd make it clear, just in case the heat had affected anyone's brain
Old Aug 20th 2011, 1:05 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

technically it is a tilde - but I find that confuses students when explaining the sílaba tónica, so I tend to go along with the idea that it isn't really

after all, the ñ (enye) IS a separate letter, as you say

I don't know from technical. He is an educated Spaniard, Andaluz, if that has relevance. I queried it with him, and his explanation was that the emphasis/stress indicator is a tilde, but the wiggle on the top of the ñ isn't a tilde, because it doesn't have a separate existance. ie you can have ó, and you can have o on its own, where for example it is the same letter eg mamón and mamones, but the wiggle never comes off the ñ.

If that makes sense.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 1:19 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by bil
I don't know from technical. He is an educated Spaniard, Andaluz, if that has relevance. I queried it with him, and his explanation was that the emphasis/stress indicator is a tilde, but the wiggle on the top of the ñ isn't a tilde, because it doesn't have a separate existance. ie you can have ó, and you can have o on its own, where for example it is the same letter eg mamón and mamones, but the wiggle never comes off the ñ.

If that makes sense.
yes you (& he) are right about the tilde above the vowel being an indicator of the strong syllable - & as I said 'technically' the ñ squiggle IS one...............at least according to the RAE

Virgulilla o rasgo que se pone sobre algunas abreviaturas, el que lleva la ñ, y cualquier otro signo que sirva para distinguir una letra de otra o denotar su acentuación
not that it's important in this heat
Old Aug 20th 2011, 1:21 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

yes you (& he) are right about the tilde above the vowel being an indicator of the strong syllable - & as I said 'technically' the ñ squiggle IS one...............at least according to the RAE

not that it's important in this heat
Yeah, true. nice to know tho.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.