Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Winter Fuel Payment

Winter Fuel Payment

Old Sep 25th 2013, 10:52 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter Fuel Payment

Originally Posted by agoreira
I keep doing what I always do, simply flick the C/H switch on! Toasty!
Don't you just love taking the pee out of those poor old souls freezing their asses of in crappy houses through sunny Spain's wintertime.

Maybe you should do the decent thing and have a whip round for them, so at least they don't all freeze to death.

Ooops, I forgot, I'm one of them.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 2:33 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Don't you just love taking the pee out of those poor old souls freezing their asses of in crappy houses through sunny Spain's wintertime.

Maybe you should do the decent thing and have a whip round for them, so at least they don't all freeze to death.

Ooops, I forgot, I'm one of them.
I have no idea why you even bothered to reply to probably the most boring post I've ever seen on BE - and that's saying something...
Old Sep 25th 2013, 2:56 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
I have no idea why you even bothered to reply to probably the most boring post I've ever seen on BE - and that's saying something...
Well let's face it,
.....it's been one of the most boring threads ever on B.E. so not much harm in me adding my two penneth, surely.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 3:28 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Well let's face it,
.....it's been one of the most boring threads ever on B.E. so not much harm in me adding my two penneth, surely.
No need for heating yet though. Still using my air con at night. Temperature at the moment in my lounge with one ceiling fan running is 29º and I am not in one of the hottest areas.

Rosemary
Old Sep 25th 2013, 4:12 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by Rosemary
No need for heating yet though. Still using my air con at night. Temperature at the moment in my lounge with one ceiling fan running is 29º and I am not in one of the hottest areas.

Rosemary
Even the coastal areas seem to be less and less a happy medium in recent years.
5 months mostly inferno and 7 months mostly icebox, with not such a lot in between, though I must admit last Winter wasn't too bad in Valencia, despite those miserable sods down in Granada moaning all the time.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

This year (so far at least) has been more of a happy medium than any of the other 6 we've been here on a permanent basis. Currently 25 in my house, no fans or air con required, has never gone over 28 indoors throughout the whole summer, and I've had a fan on in the bedroom on 6 nights in all, no more. Rain is forecast for this weekend (well it would be, as it's our local feria) so it may well cool down sharpish then.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold

I keep doing what I always do, simply flick the C/H switch on! Toasty!
If only I was rich enough to have it and to be able to afford it
Old Sep 26th 2013, 9:06 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

a spanish company is advertising on the front page of Ideal .............

.................they do cavity wall insulation

should be interesting, building going up across the way from here the walls are that honeycombed ceramic stuff - no double skin, no insulation so nowhere to put cavity wall.

and unless they sneaked in during the night - no insulation in the enclosed roof space either.

Old Sep 26th 2013, 9:17 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

We had gas CH in Spain and double glazing. You could feel the chill 30 mins after the CH was turned off
Old Sep 26th 2013, 10:06 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
a spanish company is advertising on the front page of Ideal .............

.................they do cavity wall insulation

should be interesting, building going up across the way from here the walls are that honeycombed ceramic stuff - no double skin, no insulation so nowhere to put cavity wall.

and unless they sneaked in during the night - no insulation in the enclosed roof space either.

I thought that the building regulations now include cavity wall and insulation in the roof.

When we had a new roof terrace put on top of the old one they insulated it prior to the concrete and the tiles.

Rosemary
Old Sep 26th 2013, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
We had gas CH in Spain and double glazing. You could feel the chill 30 mins after the CH was turned off
We had the cavity wall/roof insulation here several years ago, cost around £100, now we seem to get calls, people at the door offering to do it all for free. Seems there are all manner of free grants available.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 12:25 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I thought that the building regulations now include cavity wall and insulation in the roof.

When we had a new roof terrace put on top of the old one they insulated it prior to the concrete and the tiles.

Rosemary
I think that's only for new builds.

Reforms or extensions seem to not need cavity walls etc. but many builders do it now as a matter of 'conscience'.

[... unless anyone knows different and can point me to the relevant regulations (please)]
Old Sep 26th 2013, 2:18 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

We had the cavity wall/roof insulation here several years ago, cost around £100, now we seem to get calls, people at the door offering to do it all for free. Seems there are all manner of free grants available.
oh dear another crappy post from someone ensconced in the UK
Old Sep 26th 2013, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I think that's only for new builds.

Reforms or extensions seem to not need cavity walls etc. but many builders do it now as a matter of 'conscience'.

[... unless anyone knows different and can point me to the relevant regulations (please)]
yes, it would be interesting to see what the regs are, I posted some time ago about this and was told it was mandatory, but I still see buildings going up without the benefit of insulation.
the closest seems to be a quick (and I mean QUICK) spray with some stuff on one of the inner walls, it ends up about a mm or so thick and isnt the same as 15mm or more of insualtion material between the inner and outer.
Surely even in Spain there are benefits of having 25mm in the roof space ???

`
Old Sep 26th 2013, 2:59 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
yes, it would be interesting to see what the regs are, I posted some time ago about this and was told it was mandatory, but I still see buildings going up without the benefit of insulation.
the closest seems to be a quick (and I mean QUICK) spray with some stuff on one of the inner walls, it ends up about a mm or so thick and isnt the same as 15mm or more of insualtion material between the inner and outer.
Surely even in Spain there are benefits of having 25mm in the roof space ???

`
We had sprayed insulation when we built our house according to the building regs at the time. It was at least 50 mm thick and there was an air gap as well as the walls are normally built of two courses of bricks which gives better insulation than a normal UK style filled cavity.

Roof insulation is not so easy as Spanish houses don't always have any roof space. They can be sprayed and plastered though.

We built our roof out of timber beams supporting sheets of insulation material faced with chipboard on one side and plasterboard on the other. The normal concrete roof went on top of that.

Of course, we were in control of the process and could insist on the way it was done but the regs do now insist on full insulation and have done so for at leat 10 years. That said it is easy to hide a thin spray coat inside a cavity wall!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.