Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Winter Fuel Payment

Winter Fuel Payment

Old Sep 17th 2013, 6:59 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute
Default Winter Fuel Payment

For anyone affected by the UK Government's decision to remove Winter Fuel Payment from expats in so-called "hot" countries (France, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Malta, Cyprus and Gibraltar) there is a petition at: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/peti...121%20%3Cbr%3E that needs 10,000 signatures to prompt a Government response. The petition currently has over 8,300 signatures (having doubled in signatories in the last week!). Do not be complacent over this issue - if the Government gets away with this, what will they target expats for next? Thank you.
Stop the Governments victimisation of pensioners living abroad who have contributed to the...
epetitions.direct.gov.uk
Many pensioners have decided to move abroad whilst still remaining UK citizens, All of these pensioners have contributed to the welfare state via taxes and national insurance throughout their working lives I believe
Old Sep 17th 2013, 7:04 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter Fuel Payment

It is amazing just how little knowledge there is about the rasons for WFA.
It has got nothing to do with contributions, etc etc.
It was an allowance bought in originally just for 1 winter of extreme cold weather in the UK.
One of the good things about the Uk leaving the EU ( which of course will not happen ) is that HMG could remove allowances from non UK residents without the EU interfering as it did in the case of WFA.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

dypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud of

I am usually based in Andorra at 6000ft altitude and can assure the government that it is a lot colder than it ever gets in the UK. Moving out of the UK does not mean you don't need heating.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 8:48 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tommy.irene
For anyone affected by the UK Government's decision to remove Winter Fuel Payment from expats in so-called "hot" countries (France, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Malta, Cyprus and Gibraltar) there is a petition at: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/peti...121%20%3Cbr%3E that needs 10,000 signatures to prompt a Government response. The petition currently has over 8,300 signatures (having doubled in signatories in the last week!). Do not be complacent over this issue - if the Government gets away with this, what will they target expats for next? Thank you.
Stop the Governments victimisation of pensioners living abroad who have contributed to the...
epetitions.direct.gov.uk
Many pensioners have decided to move abroad whilst still remaining UK citizens, All of these pensioners have contributed to the welfare state via taxes and national insurance throughout their working lives I believe
perhaps someone should start a petition deploring the loss of BBC and Sky for all those who are watching without a licence

because you had it in the UK doesn't automatically mean you should get it in Spain, Italy, Singapore or anywhere else.
you'll be wanting free bus passes and free medicines next.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

I struggle to understand the logic of leaving a country yet expecting to be able to claim benefits from it ? I don't know which benefits apply to be paid out as I never claimed any benefits, heating allowances, child benefit, disability benefit etc ? I just cannot see how you can think the country you left should pay out once you choose to leave.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 9:01 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
I struggle to understand the logic of leaving a country yet expecting to be able to claim benefits from it ? I don't know which benefits apply to be paid out as I never claimed any benefits, heating allowances, child benefit, disability benefit etc ? I just cannot see how you can think the country you left should pay out once you choose to leave.
You for got to add Pensioners
should get nothing..
Old Sep 18th 2013, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

dypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud of

I struggle to see why moving from one country to another wipes out contributions you have made in the country you have left. Further more I'm pleased to see that the governments generally agrees with me.

Last edited by dypcdiver; Sep 18th 2013 at 9:06 am.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 10:02 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe France is in that list of hot countries. It's absolutely freezing there in winter.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Winter Fuel Payment

Well struggle no longer..it is quite easy to understand so here goes.

Those if us who paid National Insurance contributions even Class lll when we lived and worked abroad are entitled to certain benefits, not all, unfortunately, so we are fully entitled to claim back from our country of origin wherever we choose to live.

I hope that has made it clear.

Worry no longer!
Old Sep 18th 2013, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

State pensions are classed as benefits-presumably you won't want yours?
Old Sep 18th 2013, 12:41 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Pensioners have done better than any other part of the UK population in terms of increases in income and benefits during the recession.
Universal " benefits " not pensions are an outdated way of topping up incomes and this proposal is just the start of the process of ending them.
WFA should be ended asap and replaced by an income/resident qualification criteria.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt I will would qualify for much of a pension from the UK if I live long enough to reach the age. Married woman stamp and was lucky enough ( in some ways) not to be employed for many years. I was talking about benefits not pensions anyway.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 1:50 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt I will would qualify for much of a pension from the UK if I live long enough to reach the age. Married woman stamp and was lucky enough ( in some ways) not to be employed for many years. I was talking about benefits not pensions anyway.
oh so many people forget there is a difference
Old Sep 18th 2013, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Pensioners have done better than any other part of the UK population in terms of increases in income and benefits during the recession.
Universal " benefits " not pensions are an outdated way of topping up incomes and this proposal is just the start of the process of ending them.
WFA should be ended asap and replaced by an income/resident qualification criteria.
Yes true but have lost out on income they hoped for from any savings in order to keep some people with excessive mortgages in a house , who no doubt with the current increase in house prices in the south will capitalize on this. Swings and roundabouts as always I suppose.
By the way I do agree it started life as a vote catcher and that we should just have a decent flat rate old age pension for all. It would then be up to the individual to put aside money for colder times which we all know happen UK Spain and most of Europe. Bringing it in was to win votes and taking it from expats was the same realy just look at the reaction in the house when it was announced. Most in the UK think expats shouldn't get it.

Last edited by bobd22; Sep 18th 2013 at 2:24 pm. Reason: additon
Old Sep 18th 2013, 2:20 pm
EMR
Banned

So has everyone else and do not even start of the catastrophe that is the private pension sector.
Those who retired before 2008 are in clover compared to the future that many will face.
Property priices may have risen in the south east but continue to fall in other regions and still have a long way to go before they recover to pre crisis levels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.