Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why disturb them?

Why disturb them?

Old Dec 18th 2010, 6:56 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why disturb them?

Well........

Old Dec 18th 2010, 7:05 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I do believe in a God, a deity, a higher power that sits above us, and it could well be a whole bunch of them.

But more importantly I believe in an after-life, a place for departed souls, in a parallel universe.

It’s a giant saloon bar in the sky and some of my friends are already up there, calling me. ‘Is it still a pint of lager and a packet of crisps? They’re free up here’.

The already departed ladies will be there too, including that special brunette. But sometimes I can already see all of them, lined up along the long bar, all in suspenders and facing the right way.

I’m not afraid of death, not at all.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 7:10 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Well jdr

I enjoyed that
Old Dec 18th 2010, 8:07 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil

It helps, but you are one of the very few that has ever said that. The general view that everyone, but everyone (christian) says is that everyone pre Jesus, no matter how good, is off to hell.
Personally I cannot understand how anyone who possessed a scrap of empathy could accept the idea of hell.

What's your take on the loving your neighbour bit?
I can't think off hand of ANY of my Christian friends who would say that!!

Are you sure you haven't just been speaking to Jehovah's Witnesses?

Loving your neighbour.....

Well it is the second greatest commandment isn't it? Jesus himself said that. And if we are to call ourselves his disciples, then we should try to live in a manner worthy of his name.

However, Christians are human as much as anyone else. Being a Christian (i.e. professing Jesus as your Saviour) does not automatically make you into a better person. Being a Christian lacking in love does not make you NOT a Christian, it makes you not a very good Christian. Hopefully with God's help, and the support of others, that person will over time learn to behave in a more loving manner.

And remember, if we were not sinners, we would not need a Saviour. That is what Christians are. Saved Sinners.

Just to add: - Loving your neighbour as yourself does not mean pretending they are a nice person when they are not, or pretending that they never do anything wrong, or even liking them. It is treating them with respect and caring for their welfare in spite of these things. I mean, 'love your neighbour as yourself'. How do you love yourself? You feed yourself and nurture yourself and look after your own welfare, don't you. However, you also know that you are not perfect and that sometimes you do things that are not very nice. But you continue to look out for your own welfare regardless. And that is how we should treat other people. That is loving your neighbour as yourself.

Last edited by scampicat; Dec 18th 2010 at 8:34 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 9:27 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

It's number 10, the one about your neighbour's wife that I have problems with...
Old Dec 18th 2010, 10:14 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
It's number 10, the one about your neighbour's wife that I have problems with...
Yo tambien.

I presume you close your bar and refrain from that disgusting 4 letter word "work" on the Sabbath, to comply with no.4 then ?

I have to confess to slipping up occasionally on no.7 myself.
However not being of Catholic persuasion I am unfortunately not able to say 3 hail marys and obtain forgiveness.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 10:22 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Yo tambien.

I presume you close your bar and refrain from that disgusting 4 letter word "work" on the Sabbath, to comply with no.4 then ?

I have to confess to slipping up occasionally on no.7 myself.
However not being of Catholic persuasion I am unfortunately not able to say 3 hail marys and obtain forgiveness.
Blimey, I think I'd better review all 10. I'll get back to you...
Old Dec 18th 2010, 11:33 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat

I can't think off hand of ANY of my Christian friends who would say that!!

Are you sure you haven't just been speaking to Jehovah's Witnesses?

Loving your neighbour.....

Well it is the second greatest commandment isn't it? Jesus himself said that. And if we are to call ourselves his disciples, then we should try to live in a manner worthy of his name.

However, Christians are human as much as anyone else. Being a Christian (i.e. professing Jesus as your Saviour) does not automatically make you into a better person. Being a Christian lacking in love does not make you NOT a Christian, it makes you not a very good Christian. Hopefully with God's help, and the support of others, that person will over time learn to behave in a more loving manner.

And remember, if we were not sinners, we would not need a Saviour. That is what Christians are. Saved Sinners.

Just to add: - Loving your neighbour as yourself does not mean pretending they are a nice person when they are not, or pretending that they never do anything wrong, or even liking them. It is treating them with respect and caring for their welfare in spite of these things. I mean, 'love your neighbour as yourself'. How do you love yourself? You feed yourself and nurture yourself and look after your own welfare, don't you. However, you also know that you are not perfect and that sometimes you do things that are not very nice. But you continue to look out for your own welfare regardless. And that is how we should treat other people. That is loving your neighbour as yourself.
Well, I do have a couple of Jovos who are good friends, but not them. Just most of the serious type christians have had that opinion.

I'm not quite sure on your take re loving your neighbour. My understanding is that everyone is your neighbour, and that you should love them as you love yourself.

That means sharing the money, doesn't it?
Old Dec 18th 2010, 11:35 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I do believe in a God, a deity, a higher power that sits above us, and it could well be a whole bunch of them.

But more importantly I believe in an after-life, a place for departed souls, in a parallel universe.

It’s a giant saloon bar in the sky and some of my friends are already up there, calling me. ‘Is it still a pint of lager and a packet of crisps? They’re free up here’.

The already departed ladies will be there too, including that special brunette. But sometimes I can already see all of them, lined up along the long bar, all in suspenders and facing the right way.

I’m not afraid of death, not at all.
Good for you.

I would fear a painful death, but not the concept of death.

After all, if there is nothing, there will be nothing to worry about.

If there is something, well, that will be very interesting indeed. Me, I plan to have fun.

If it turns there really is a hell, and I'm in it, then I plan to have even more fun.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 5:48 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil

Well, I do have a couple of Jovos who are good friends, but not them. Just most of the serious type christians have had that opinion.

I'm not quite sure on your take re loving your neighbour. My understanding is that everyone is your neighbour, and that you should love them as you love yourself.

That means sharing the money, doesn't it?
It might do, if their situation warranted it.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:14 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by scampicat

It might do, if their situation warranted it.

Isn't that, well, judgemental? You know, what the man said?

Seriously, I'm glad I'm not a christian. If I really believed that JC was The Man, son of G and all that, then I would be obliged to do all I could to help others, as if I loved them as myself, then that would mean sharing the money.

In all my life I have only ever known a couple of christians who came close to walking the walk.

The rest? Well, you know how it is, I put two pounds in the plate each sunday, we always support the church fete, and we put five pounds into the christian aid envelope. Holiday? Oh, we are going to the Bahamas this year, we find the soauth of France so passé...

So what situation might warrant sharing the money, and how far would you go?

Last edited by bil; Dec 19th 2010 at 8:16 am.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 9:33 am
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by bil

Isn't that, well, judgemental? You know, what the man said?

Seriously, I'm glad I'm not a christian. If I really believed that JC was The Man, son of G and all that, then I would be obliged to do all I could to help others, as if I loved them as myself, then that would mean sharing the money.

In all my life I have only ever known a couple of christians who came close to walking the walk.

The rest? Well, you know how it is, I put two pounds in the plate each sunday, we always support the church fete, and we put five pounds into the christian aid envelope. Holiday? Oh, we are going to the Bahamas this year, we find the soauth of France so passé...

So what situation might warrant sharing the money, and how far would you go?
How do you know how much money I give towards helping others? Or how much time? Or how much other Christians do? People don't always shout about it you know, in fact as Christians we are told not to.

((Edited to remove personal information at Stevie's suggestion)

Maybe what I have done is not enough, but I am doing something rather than nothing and tbh I would prefer not to have to explain nor justify my actions to anyone here on a public forum; what I do or do not do to help others should be between me, them and God.

Last edited by scampicat; Dec 19th 2010 at 10:11 am.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 9:57 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

link taken out - good point scampi-cat !!!

I'm not sure that Bil was challenging you to prove that you practise your faith.
Morever it's possibly a bit dangerous to disclose too much about your real-life activities here. If you're not careful you may become the target of professional scammers who perceive you as a potential target, seeing as you've already admitted to helping others out financially. I wish you all the best, but hope you either delete that post or get the forum admin to delete it.
Best regards.

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Dec 19th 2010 at 10:07 am.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 10:05 am
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe

I'm not sure that Bil was challenging you to prove that you practise your faith.
Morever it's possibly a bit dangerous to disclose too much about your real-life activities here. If you're not careful you may become the target of professional scammers who perceive you as a potential target, seeing as you've already admitted to helping others out financially. I wish you all the best, but hope you either delete that post or get the forum admin to delete it.
Best regards.
Well I've already been approached by professional scammers! Have been for years now.

There is not much point me deleting my post when yours has quoted it

I don't think it is necessary for me to delete it, but if it is the forum rules i will do so.

BIL did rile me, however he/she was just one of many people who think all Christians are hypocrites. It gets to me because they never think it about any other religion. I suppose I should not have taken the bait.

Thanks anyway for your concern and I will think about deleting the post (but you'll have to edit the one with the quote in too!).
Old Dec 19th 2010, 10:12 am
Ex Expat

Hi Stevie, I've edited my post, thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.