Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why disturb them?

Why disturb them?

Old Dec 19th 2010, 7:38 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why disturb them?

Oh yeah, I do feel that religious buildings should by law have to have high pointy roofs and no lightning conductors.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Oh yeah, I do feel that religious buildings should by law have to have high pointy roofs and no lightning conductors.
There you go! I knew the real bil would slip out late at night.
Faith or science then... Lightning rods would seem to suggest that you have no faith, or that you lean towards science. OOPs Think I've just annoyed a couple of members again. Tee hee (impish titter).
Old Dec 20th 2010, 8:45 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
There you go! I knew the real bil would slip out late at night.
Faith or science then... Lightning rods would seem to suggest that you have no faith, or that you lean towards science. OOPs Think I've just annoyed a couple of members again. Tee hee (impish titter).
Hardly. I just believe that lightning rods are tantamount to blasphemy. They demonstrate a clear lack of faith in god watching over the faithful and have no place on a place of worship......
Old Dec 20th 2010, 8:49 am
bil
Banned

I always found it interesting that the bible, the word of god, can't even get the dates of Jesus's birth right. They have the wrong Herod down for example.

Of course it makes a lot more sense if, when they were putting to bible togethet in 300 odd AD, they were looking for a front man who would not be open to criticism, to shield the leaders of the new political control group, sorry, religion, from public criticism.

So they turned to an old faith and plagiarised Mithras.

Don't believe me? Look him up. Had disciples, his special day was sunday, and is often portrayed with a halo.....
Old Dec 20th 2010, 9:33 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat

See my comments in blue above!
As not a particularly religous person myself, but with good core values, which I suppose are rooted in Christianity, I found your "blue" comments very interesting, especially the one about the ganster.

very good post.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 10:51 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by JLFS

As not a particularly religous person myself, but with good core values, which I suppose are rooted in Christianity, I found your "blue" comments very interesting, especially the one about the ganster.

very good post.
Those weren't mine, but were from our religious friend.

There are people out there with good hearts some of them christian even. Ahaha.

Equally, there are people who profess to be christian whose actions are so vile it beggars belief.

On the milder side, fat bishops and empty churches. I'm still grappling with the concept that so many churches remain empty at night while homeless people sleep on the streets.

How can that be right?
Old Dec 20th 2010, 11:57 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you JL for your kind comments, I realised that you meant my 'blue words' and not BIL's, the quote box seems to have gone wrong somehow!

FWIW, I don't really like being called 'religious'. 'Religion' to me is about following rules and regulations, whereas true Christianity is about a relationship with God, and changed lives as a result of it. The Pharisees in the OT were 'religious', keeping to the letter of the law and not the spirit. Jesus called them a brood of vipers!

However, I suppose I can't really expect others to share that view, but just thought I would like to share it anyway.

Last edited by scampicat; Dec 20th 2010 at 11:59 am.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS

As not a particularly religous person myself, but with good core values, which I suppose are rooted in Christianity.
Anyone who thinks our "core values are rooted in Christianity" should read Plato's Republic. It is a conversation between Greek philosophers about human morality.

You'll find most of the rights and wrongs we would talk about today are covered - and this was written at 380BC.

More Christian brain washing is evident!
Old Dec 20th 2010, 1:52 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil

Wotcher Dick.

What is the source? Logic and observation my boy. I look at the millions and millions of christians, and wonder what you could do if all of them gave on a scale more close to the widow's mite, rather than the mite they put in the collection plate.

I lived in a village with a high % of alleged christians. The vicar was one of the most decent types I have ever met. A true christian in thought word and deed. No, I'll go one step further. The man was a saint. There was a couple in the village, again, truly christian types. The Jovos were pretty damn decent types too. That's still less than 10 there.

I knew what was done in the village by people and there wasn't any one else that showed much real christianity. Oh there were coffee mornings and so on. I was invited to one. Just the one. There was a group of them there, big noises in the village church circle, and I happened to mention Julian Clary, comedian and practising homosexualist. There was a pause and then they started off on a good old fashioned homophobic rant. At the end, I smiled sweetly and said 'Thou shall love thy neighbour as thyself, unless of course he is black, jewish or homosexual. That'll be St Paul's letter to the bigots I assume?"

Think pins and drops. I never did get asked to another.

One thing I do love about you Dick is your consistancy. Always the same.

No I don't lap up paedo priests. I feel sorry for paedophiles, genuinely sorry, but the concept of a priest doing it is so completely horrifying that I just can't grasp it.

Since you have brought this up, perhaps we could ask scampicat to try and clarify that wrto the catholic sect of christianity? I don't doubt that this particularly nasty affliction is well represented in all religions if you look hard enough, but Catholicism does seem to be somewhat terminally afflicted.

Here we have a religion based on Jesus 'suffer little children' Christ. It isn't just that there are one or two priests like that. There are a huge number, the priests are moved around the parishes if there are complaints, instead of stopping the rot, and when we turn to the head of the church, we learn that the pope shelters such priests from the law in the vatican, and further more he was the one that wrote the bull threatening people who grass a paedo priest to the law. Not, you will note that he threatens said priests with anything worse than having to move to the next parish, oh no. He threatens anyone who attempts to stop a priest enjoying all that fresh youg meat with excommunication.

Now since the catholic church is the stem from which all the other sects grow, this is particularly vile, and implies, nay states that the whole church is founded on rotten wood.

This you seem to dismiss as just a minor kerfuffle in the red tops. Fair enough if that's your views.

I just remember an article on the works of art and riches stored in the Vatican basements. It was such a humungous amount that seeling it off would have made a serious dent in world poverty. Instead tho, it moulders away there while the poor starve and suffer from simply preventable illnesses.

Are you fortunate having come across decent christians who give their all?

Fortunate doesn't even come close.

Everyday lives based on christian principles? Only the ones that suit them, of course.
Once again your post is simply a reflection of your own personal biased opinion rather than based on facts, and as I expected you are unable to give a proven answer to my question.

In addition you completely miss the point, that I am not referring to ppl.who have direct connections with the church, or who go around trying to push their beliefs down the throats of others.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 2:04 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

What the hell is it with you lot and quotes? I mean seriously, there is a whole page of screwed up quotes!
Old Dec 20th 2010, 2:20 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
What the hell is it with you lot and quotes? I mean seriously, there is a whole page of screwed up quotes!
You can`t get the staff these days.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 2:27 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
You can`t get the staff these days.
Talking of which, where is that slacker Mitzy? Christ, that man has more time off than Santa!
Old Dec 20th 2010, 2:30 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Talking of which, where is that slacker Mitzy? Christ, that man has more time off than Santa!
Counting his money.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 2:31 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by jdr
Counting his money.
Wouldn't surprise me at all.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 3:18 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

Once again your post is simply a reflection of your own personal biased opinion rather than based on facts, and as I expected you are unable to give a proven answer to my question.

In addition you completely miss the point, that I am not referring to ppl.who have direct connections with the church, or who go around trying to push their beliefs down the throats of others.
Oh, you mean like your baseless, unproven and unproveable claim that poor education is the fault of Labour and Labour alone?

Pots and kettles, pots and kettles.

My opinion is my opinion. I base it on observations made over many decades.

For every decent, true christian, I have come across dozens of nasty ones. If not more. That's a straight observation. Of course, since you don't like it, you accuse it of being biased. Why don't you try proving that it is biased?

You could maybe start off proving that there aren't any paedo priests. That should give us all a good laugh.

As for your comment that I "completely miss the point, that I (DD) am not referring to ppl.who have direct connections with the church, or who go around trying to push their beliefs down the throats of others"

What you said was " I doubt if you have even the faintest clue how many ppl quietly go about their everyday lives based on Christian principles, without regularly attending church or ever trying to ram their religious views down other ppls throats."

You of course can give me precise figures? If even half of the alleged christians gave half as generously as the widow's mite, the world would be far better off, and of course, when it comes to principles, it all depends which ones you pick and Mix, doesn't it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.