Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Where do we go from here?

Where do we go from here?

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 11:06 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do we go from here?

Originally Posted by carter71
Well I'm happy here too, but...

I believe the Painters like many never really came looking for advice, but were part of the growing trend of people with a severe case of cognitive dissonance looking for reassurance. When we didn't reinforce their decisions, it generated the irrational anger and denial we all saw. Natural behavioral responses I might add!

The question is should we change our behavior just because it's "nicer" not to tell the truth or should we tell the truth warts and all and risk being alienated by the OP and others on here. Spain is a big country, we all have very different experiences, and we're all different people. It's taken me three years to feel like I "fit in" here, and part of that was overcoming the positive delusions about Spain and learning about the reality. In my experience (wait: just popping on my flame-proof trousers) you either come out the other side with a balanced view or become incredibly negative, eventually returning 'home'.

Please don't shoot... I'm 25% American!
Good post. I fear there's also a tendency to disbelieve what other posters say, if it doesn't correspond 100% with your own experience. As carter71 says, Spain is a big country, and you're going to find large differences in different people's experiences. From a personal angle, I've found it far worse (and by a large scale) trying to get work in southern England than when I was in Madrid. However I realise that this is not the case for a lot of people. It's best to get reports from as many sources as you can in order to get a more balanced view. And even then, you're still taking a risk if you move house (and country). Such is life.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Part of the problem I think is that a lot of people don't know how to present the negatives in an impartial, neutral tone, and it comes out as judgemental, critical and condescending. I'm not surprised that advice seekers get their backs up on a regular basis.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 11:27 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Here are thousands of ‘Painter’ families knocking at Spain’s door every week, a million are already here. Some don’t make it and head back home, mostly people who are unprepared in some way or other.

I would argue that the ones who don’t make it, wouldn’t make it anywhere in Spain, it’s not the place that’s wrong, it’s them, although moving makes sense if a place really doesn’t suit, but you should know that beforehand.

That’s where forums are useful, the majority of expats living here are helpful people towards others following in their footsteps, why shouldn’t they be? It’s human nature to help your neighbour.

And it doesn’t take much to filter out the negative comments, as Chulo said, just look back over a few of their posts, it’s difficult to conceal your true nature for too long. This thread is a prime example of just that, and I haven’t checked back, I haven’t got the heart for it.

And they won’t shoot you for telling the truth, Carter, but they might for that 25%. Only joking, I don’t know how to put a smilie in place, so just imagine there’s one there.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 11:50 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
Part of the problem I think is that a lot of people don't know how to present the negatives in an impartial, neutral tone, and it comes out as judgemental, critical and condescending. I'm not surprised that advice seekers get their backs up on a regular basis.

Part of the problem I think is that a lot of people don't know how to acknowledge the negatives in an impartial, neutral tone, and it comes out as judgemental, critical and condescending. I'm not surprised that advice givers get their backs up on a regular basis.

Last edited by jdr; Oct 22nd 2009 at 11:53 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:10 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting that this thread has been resuscitated...
A lot of the questions that Señora in particular raised before leaving the UK (e.g. transport of plants, teddy bears, acquiring The Times, keeping donkeys/goats), rather than finding out where their house was located and how their daughter was going to get to school and have a social life, caused a reaction from some expats (me included) who put their priorities in a different order. The bad-tempered reaction of both Señor and Señora made for a controversial thread...
Hopefully the daughter is settling down well, wherever the family is now living , but I imagine there won't be any feedback from the OP...
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:32 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Part of the problem I think is that a lot of people don't know how to acknowledge the negatives in an impartial, neutral tone, and it comes out as judgemental, critical and condescending. I'm not surprised that advice givers get their backs up on a regular basis.
If I said that black was black I could guarantee that just a few minutes later you would be along posting that black is white.
I was just showing that what you said cuts both ways.
You seem to be a prime example of not being able to acknowledge the negatives in a neutral tone, and it comes out as judgemental, critical and condescending. (your own words)
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:34 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

I don`t believe everybody is 100% happy or unhappy no matter what the location.

Moods change from minute to minute.

I was happy until I opened the Mail today (I no there on strike, but it arrived) and now I wished I hadn`t and would really like to vent some anger towards a certain organisation.

It would be great if a place did make me happy 100%, I`d also like to be Richard Branson.

I`m happy to settle for a 50-50 emotional relationship.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

I think jdr & veleta are both right, and I'll quote myself from ages back in this thread (arrogance in a teacup!)

Originally Posted by fionamw
I'll say this with some trepidation, to those that know who they are and those a bit p'd off with those that know who they area (and in fact anyone else, actually ... oh, and also hoping I'm not one of them)) My mum used to say - still does, actually, knocking on 93 but mums are always mums - it's not what you say but the way in which you say it.
Some stuff is valid, but put rather bluntly. Some stuff is blunt but put nicely. Depends which you opt for. We all post on here, clearly - and apart from a very few actual trolls, which I'm only now beginning to possibly recognise, usually far later than anyone else, I believe most of us, possibly all in their own way, try to answer queries to the best of our ability. Sure there are sometimes bits of banter, or sarcasm, wouldn't there be in any conversation? But for myself I feel if we are here we (a) should accept that by posting we may get replies we don't like and (b) should write our posts as if we were face to face with the person/people we're addressing. That way we can't so easily hide behind the shelter of the pixels.
End of attempted mediation! Deposits olive branches for future use, scuttles off stage left.....................
Didn't stop the flak last time I posted it, don't suppose it will this time
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jdr
I was just showing that what you said cuts both ways.
You seem to be a prime example of not being able to acknowledge the negatives in a neutral tone, and it comes out as judgemental, critical and condescending. (your own words)
JDR, I never ask for advice from this forum (apart from trivial matters like what to plant in my garden, or where to get rid of second hand stuff). So I don't know how I am a prime example of not being able to accept negative advice if I never ask for it!!

My point is that whatever I post, and wherever I post it I always know that if I come back a few minutes later there will be a post from you contradicting what I have just said (and sure enough, this thread was no exception). I don't follow you around the forum pouncing on your every post and I would appreciate it if you could do the same.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:46 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

JDR, I never ask for advice from this forum (apart from trivial matters like what to plant in my garden, or where to get rid of second hand stuff). So I don't know how I am a prime example of not being able to accept negative advice if I never ask for it!!

My point is that whatever I post, and wherever I post it I always know that if I come back a few minutes later there will be a post from you contradicting what I have just said (and sure enough, this thread was no exception). I don't follow you around the forum pouncing on your every post and I would appreciate it if you could do the same.
I post on all threads that interest me, which is my right as a member.
Maybe it`s just a coincidence on timing that you are in front of me
You have always had a strange attitude to me since your thread about how easy it was getting business loans in Spain.
If you read back through your posts you will probable find as many of your replies or maybe more are negative answers to my posts than I have given to yours.

Anyhow back to topic....
If you post on a forum you have to learn to extract what you need from the advice and forget the rest.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

carter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fionamw
Didn't stop the flak last time I posted it, don't suppose it will this time
I think it was HBG who posted a link to another forum this morning which I think put everything into perspective. Pages upon pages of mindless swearing and insults about the procreation habits of each other's immediate family members, all caused by someone asking a question about living in a certain town! (and no I'm not mentioning which one )

Contrast here. I like this forum - it's lively (and certainly the busiest Spanish forum that I've come across). Okay, there are others, but people here are from the real world not just estate agents or conveyancing lawyers.

I don't think much gets said here that couldn't be said face to face. Yes we all lack intonation and body language, and we probably all say a bit more than we should but that's just nature of the medium.

Compared to that link this morning, this place is a convent!
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:48 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carter71
I think it was HBG who posted a link to another forum this morning which I think put everything into perspective. Pages upon pages of mindless swearing and insults about the procreation habits of each other's immediate family members, all caused by someone asking a question about living in a certain town! (and no I'm not mentioning which one )

Contrast here. I like this forum - it's lively (and certainly the busiest Spanish forum that I've come across). Okay, there are others, but people here are from the real world not just estate agents or conveyancing lawyers.

I don't think much gets said here that couldn't be said face to face. Yes we all lack intonation and body language, and we probably all say a bit more than we should but that's just nature of the medium.

Compared to that link this morning, this place is a convent!
I suppose we all go through life, and if we’re lucky enough, it’s all sweetness and light, but then along comes a novel like Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh. It sells millions of copies because us gentle folk like to occasionally read about the dark side, the one that we don’t know about because we’re cushioned by life, probably because of parents, and our own endeavours.

That silly link that I posted this morning is Trainspotting for the Costa Blanca, apart from making me laugh, and it did, it explains the reality, somewhat.

It doesn’t do any harm to occasionally be reminded that there are snakes in the undergrowth, and their bites can be venomous.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I suppose we all go through life, and if we’re lucky enough, it’s all sweetness and light, but then along comes a novel like Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh. It sells millions of copies because us gentle folk like to occasionally read about the dark side, the one that we don’t know about because we’re cushioned by life, probably because of parents, and our own endeavours.

That silly link that I posted this morning is Trainspotting for the Costa Blanca, apart from making me laugh, and it did, it explains the reality, somewhat.

It doesn’t do any harm to occasionally be reminded that there are snakes in the undergrowth, and their bites can be venomous.
I know we're slightly off topic, and I also know you've got to be careful not to contravene rules - but I read the link & didn't totally understand what was so unusual, I didn't see any reference to anyone's parentage & have seen bunfights like that on BE..... either way, I still maintain we're most of us here to help & all we've got to do is write as we would speak rather than hide behind the (obvious but sometimes forgotten) anonymity of the web.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 9:20 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I know people criticise BE from time to time, but I can tell you there are some horrible forums out there where spam rules OK and you get flamed for next to nothing.

We dont tend to sink to the levels of criticising other forums by name on here though as a general rule.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I know people criticise BE from time to time, but I can tell you there are some horrible forums out there where spam rules OK and you get flamed for next to nothing.

We dont tend to sink to the levels of criticising other forums by name on here though as a general rule.
Wasn't meant as a criticism as such, I don't know enough other forums to judge - maybe that's good, maybe not

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.