Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What do you wish you had known/ done/are glad you knew?

What do you wish you had known/ done/are glad you knew?

Old Apr 15th 2015, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Sir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you wish you had known/ done/are glad you knew?

Originally Posted by Neptuno
In my experience, its unusual for people to continue to live in Spain when they are bereaved, unless they have other family members close by.
It is much harder to come to terms with the death on your own, and as Rosemary said, coping with the maintenance of a property and pool becomes harder with age and no suppport.
Even if you have the money to pay someone to do it, its not the same and your heart isnt in it.
Rosemary summed it up well
Until it happens to you, you cannot forecast how you will feel.
Spot on i posted the same.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

In fairness those links are at least a year old the one complaining re exchange rate was 2012. I am not saying all is rosy but I do think things are improving in Spain. Certainly the exchange rate has picked up and is currently at a similar rate to just before the crash. Surely we must all understand with the smallest amount of research that currency fluctuations occur although when falling to parity it was a scary moment. Of course no doubt the problem now will be for those returning they wont be so prepared to drop the price of property taking advantage of the fact that they can achieve nearer the the price it cost them when converting to sterling. It is not gloom and doom for all but some very relevant points have been raised in the last few comments. No one knows what is around the corner!
Old Apr 15th 2015, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Sir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you are quite correct bob links about 1 year old, i tried to find more recent stuff,but in essence i think i have addressed the question asked by hollyoaks with the links and posting
Old Apr 15th 2015, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sir John
Yes you are quite correct bob links about 1 year old, i tried to find more recent stuff,but in essence i think i have addressed the question asked by hollyoaks with the links and posting
Agreed without doubt. At least pound is up though I only today did an exchange at 1.39 long may it last ?
Old Apr 15th 2015, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Hollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
There are many reasons that people sell up and leave amongst them are lack of work opportunities, unable to maintain their house or family, ill health, age, missing family in UK, grandchildren in the UK, income changed due to exchange rate, bored with sun/heat, generally wanting a change or many, many other reasons.

We bought our house as a home not an investment so whether the value lessens or increases is of no interest. When we made the decision to move it was primarily my husbands idea and I agreed to give it a try so we thought that we might only be here a shortish length of time.

However, we had lived here three years and my husband became ill and 31 months later he died. I am still living here because although I was reluctant in the beginning I settled quickly and like my life here living an ordinary life in an ordinary Spanish town.

To be fair it depends totally on what you want and expect from your life in Spain so making the right choice in the beginning can colour how you view and experience it.

Rosemary
Hi Rosemary

Sorry for your loss. Thank you for being so open and honest, and although I cannot predict how I'll feel, I think that I would be the same as yourself. We are moving to retire, and we have discussed this probably more than others do, and we are not looking at it through rose coloured specs.

I have had some very honest answers here and we are currently looking at residential parks, so will keep you posted as we still have time to research everything.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Hollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sir John
May of be of interest..can't find a definitive answer online to this here you go.

Has the sun set on the expat dream in Spain? - Telegraph

Expats flee Spain thousands poorer - AOL Money UK

'Our €250,000 Spanish villa sold for just €87,000' - Telegraph

'Any expats who could move back to the UK already have. The rest of us are trapped' - Europe - World - The Independent

you said "genuinely believe that when one of us 'departs', the other would prefer to stay in Spain",that's a very big supposition to make,and until it happens god forbid and you are in that situation you will be in the vast minoroty NO never heard of it here sorry,most expats return uk if they can sell unless you have ties and family expat neighbours to help you living here to give support ect and lots of friends.
SirJohn

It may be a supposition, it may be our choice. I don't believe that we would be in the vast minority, not everyone wants to return to the UK.
Thank you for your comments.
Perhaps, apart from Rosemary, there may be other forum users who have remained after losing a partner.
If people were to worry about future health issues, then nobody would retire abroad. They can't all return to the UK or whichever country they moved from.
Maybe I should start another thread about this!
Old Apr 15th 2015, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

"Not everyone wants to return to the UK"
No, not everyone, but more than stay in Spain, I bet!
When you move to Spain you can't visualise what life may be like10-20 years down the line
Bereavement, serious illness can focus the mind of the one dealing with it.
Suddenly, the sun doesn' t matter, but feeling supported and secure does
Old Apr 15th 2015, 4:10 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hollyhock
Hi Rosemary

Sorry for your loss. Thank you for being so open and honest, and although I cannot predict how I'll feel, I think that I would be the same as yourself. We are moving to retire, and we have discussed this probably more than others do, and we are not looking at it through rose coloured specs.

I have had some very honest answers here and we are currently looking at residential parks, so will keep you posted as we still have time to research everything.
Due to the fact that I am a bereavement counsellor my husband and I always discussed what we would do when the inevitable happened openly. He always said that if he lost me he would stay in Spain and move to a flat on our nearest sea front and expected that I would immediately move back to the UK and I thought that he was right. However I am too settled and content where I am so it has never entered my head to return. You do not know how you will react to any situation until it happens to you. We can only surmise how we will deal with things.

Good luck with your research and glad that you are being practical and looking with your eyes wide open.

Rosemary
Old Apr 15th 2015, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

SirJohn

It may be a supposition, it may be our choice. I don't believe that we would be in the vast minority, not everyone wants to return to the UK.
Perhaps, apart from Rosemary, there may be other forum users who have remained after losing a partner.
If people were to worry about future health issues, then nobody would retire abroad. They can't all return to the UK or whichever country they moved from.
Good luck.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 5:18 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

SirJohn

I know of a few forum members who have stayed after bereavement and also a few of my internet contacts so I am not the only one.

Rosemary
Old Apr 15th 2015, 6:37 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I've just read this thread with great interest, as we are looking to retire to Spain in a couple of years.
I understand that it is not a good idea to buy for investment purposes, but we won't be doing that anyway.
The question I would like to ask is why are Brits selling up and leaving? I can't find a definitive answer online to this.

Also, as we are retiring there, we have no intention of returning to the UK, are there any retired folk who are determined to stay, even if they have lost a partner, or decline in health? I know that sounds a bit morbid, but we genuinely believe that when one of us 'departs', the other would prefer to stay in Spain.
Its often a question of why you went there in the forst place. We moved there and have moved back to the UK.

We never intended to stay in Spain forever though.

Our leaving was hastened by several factors. The possible tax implications on our UK assets was one, and the increasing stress and hassle of dealing with the administration was another. Having said that we enjoyed every moment of living in Spain and dont regret it at all. A family healt issue basicially pit the final nail in the proverbial

By the way, we dont regret moving back to the UK ..... there are challenges in any country you live in
Old Apr 15th 2015, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

I've just read this thread with great interest, as we are looking to retire to Spain in a couple of years.
I understand that it is not a good idea to buy for investment purposes, but we won't be doing that anyway.
The question I would like to ask is why are Brits selling up and leaving? I can't find a definitive answer online to this.

Also, as we are retiring there, we have no intention of returning to the UK, are there any retired folk who are determined to stay, even if they have lost a partner, or decline in health? I know that sounds a bit morbid, but we genuinely believe that when one of us 'departs', the other would prefer to stay in Spain.
As others have said. It depends on your reasons for coming here. If you take change with open arms and flow with it, even welcome it, you'll be fine. Some react badly to change and go 'scuttling back' to England. Some simply have miscalculated or come unstuck because of changes in the value of their money. But some decided it was a temporary move and leave when the time is right. There is no doubt, most of us have been challenged in one way or another. Spain is a wonderful place for the weather and the lifestyle but it is very different culturally. Most of the big wave of returners have already returned. There will always be a flow in and back out.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by angiescarr
As others have said. It depends on your reasons for coming here. If you take change with open arms and flow with it, even welcome it, you'll be fine. Some react badly to change and go 'scuttling back' to England. Some simply have miscalculated or come unstuck because of changes in the value of their money. But some decided it was a temporary move and leave when the time is right. There is no doubt, most of us have been challenged in one way or another. Spain is a wonderful place for the weather and the lifestyle but it is very different culturally. Most of the big wave of returners have already returned. There will always be a flow in and back out.
" If you take change with open arms and flow with it, even welcome it, you'll be fine."
In that case, we will be fine.

Rosemary - we are in a similar job role, so that is why we have always discussed our future openly.

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 11:38 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

" If you take change with open arms and flow with it, even welcome it, you'll be fine."
In that case, we will be fine.
In Spain it's often not a flow that you can go with .... it's more like a succession of jerks
Old Apr 17th 2015, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
In Spain it's often not a flow that you can go with .... it's more like a succession of jerks
In both senses of the word ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.