Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What do you wish you had known/ done/are glad you knew?

What do you wish you had known/ done/are glad you knew?

Old Mar 3rd 2015, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you wish you had known/ done/are glad you knew?

You're welcome.

But really, why didn't they learn Spanish. If they were there for a while and not in an expat community, what was it that prevented them?

It sounds to me like they moved to a foreign country and found it a bit, well, foreign. Not something I would put on a list of things I wish I'd known. Bit obvious really, no?

Hence the question, if they went there expecting and in fact wanting that (avoiding expat communities) then what were the blocks? Spanish people? other factors?

Originally Posted by stuboy
Thanks for the smart-arse answer. Really helpful.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Horlics

But really, why didn't they learn Spanish. If they were there for a while and not in an expat community, what was it that prevented them?
In my experience many British people underestimate by a factor of 100 how difficult (or easy) it is to learn a new language

They think it will be easy, so when they discover that it isn't then they give up as they don't have the confidence to keep going
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 1:39 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who never quite made the leap despite teetering over the edge a few times I'm glad my best friends did it before me. I watched them transform from paella, chorizo, Serrano ham etc in the early days to talking enthusiastically about a Cornish pasty shop that was opening.

I watched their initial group of Spanish friends fall away ie the developer, builder, car salesman etc. I watched their excruciating attempt to have anything like a conversation in Spanish. Struggling with even the basics in restaurants beyond la cuenta and gracias. The supermarket vocabulary never got much further than 'no más'.

but saddest all of all was watching their slow decline with a health system they couldn't navigate and gradual withdrawal. This amazing fun loving and extrovert couple desperately wanted to live the dream and fit in with the Spanish way of life. But they couldn't.

they stuck to their principle of not over immersing themselves with the ex-pat community but this lead only to their increased isolation.

Like so many they did not have the option of returning to the UK.
I know exactly what you mean.

I happen to know quite a few British expats that fall into that category - although all but 1 couple chose to live in a British expat community (as most do). There are others who seem to just "fit right in" with no problems whatsoever. I'd say we fit into that category.

Generally speaking, Brits uniquely seem to exhibit an expectation that all things are supposed to be just like they are in blighty. And if not, it's somehow "unsophisticated" or just plain "backward" or otherwise "undesirable". In fact, a common stereotype held by many of the very "foreigners" Brits try to live amongst is that Brits don't like "foreigners". I know, we endure lighthearted ribbing about it from our German and Spanish friends and neighbours. But it's all in good fun and not a personal attack at all.

And really, I've heard some of the most ridiculous retorts from British expats expressing their discomforts with all the despicable "foreign" stuff they are subjected to whilst abroad. It's really comical at times. So, I'm not surprised at the stereotypes, although like most stereotypes, it clearly doesn't apply to all Brits.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I am one of the people who struggle with languages, even English.

I like the way a lot of people come out with why didn't you learn the language, well for some that is not always easy.

I got thrown out of French lessons at school, they gave up on me because I was simply thick ( not dyslexic or any of the more modern diseases ) although in most other subjects I was in the top 10 of a year of 100 in a " Grammar School"

Arriving in Gib should have been a God send, but as most are bi-lingual they never had the time to struggle with me. Spanish lessons didn't help me improve.

Living in Spain I improved a bit but still found casual conversation a struggle.

Doing business was not so bad, I knew all the technical words necessary for purchasing / having repairs done and the companies were very understanding ( maybe because I had money )

Because of my own short comings I have sympathy with most people who struggle,
But that does not mean some are not just lazy.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I spent more time learning how the Spanish school ESO operated. The fact that if your child failed two or more subjects it meant that they would have to repeat the previous school year. So what should be 4 years of ESO could in fact mean 8 years. But what annoys me the most about this is that it is treated as the "norm" by teachers and nothing to worry about - and not the fact that "some" of the blame should be the teachers attitude.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by battlezone123
I wish I spent more time learning how the Spanish school ESO operated. The fact that if your child failed two or more subjects it meant that they would have to repeat the previous school year. So what should be 4 years of ESO could in fact mean 8 years. But what annoys me the most about this is that it is treated as the "norm" by teachers and nothing to worry about - and not the fact that "some" of the blame should be the teachers attitude.
That is correct, but very few students fail a year of high school, certainly less than 20%

What happens is that eventually the failures give up and leave school without qualifications

But to be fair, in Spain, if you are in the bottom 20% academically then you have no chance of getting a good job. A cleaner or laborer you will be! Even waiters need some qualifications
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
That is correct, but very few students fail a year of high school, certainly less than 20%

What happens is that eventually the failures give up and leave school without qualifications

But to be fair, in Spain, if you are in the bottom 20% academically then you have no chance of getting a good job. A cleaner or laborer you will be! Even waiters need' some qualifications
Very few is NOT 20% - that is a vast number of students failing. That would mean of the 800 students at my children's school 160 are failing at the end of each academic school year. I am sorry but your last paragraph is utter rubbish - and that if you do have children that your attitude changes. To label children like this is unbelievable.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 6:39 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

... I watched them transform from paella, chorizo, Serrano ham etc in the early days to talking enthusiastically about a Cornish pasty shop that was opening...
That is so true.

The people who 'embrace the Spanish way of life' are usually newbies and tourists.

The long-stayers tend to do what they want to do rather than what they think they should do or what is expected of them.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 6:41 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

But really, why didn't they learn Spanish. If they were there for a while and not in an expat community, what was it that prevented them?...
Accept that some people don't find it as easy as you did.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Wise words.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

It's my opinion...and not necessarily true, that those who find it most difficult to learn the language are those who are the most afraid of being wrong. Often they are very intelligent people who are used to being top of the class at everything and don't like being at the bottom at all...so give up instead of appearing (to their minds) stupid.
This may not help. But to those people I'd say find a private teacher and treat them like a therapist... Nobody needs to know how many mistakes you made! The rest of us don't care. Unless you're a lawyer or a brain surgeon, the most important bit is to be understood. Not to be grammatically correct.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 8:36 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm of the opinion that age is a major factor regarding people's ability to pick up a foreign language.

Time and again I've seen youngsters pick it up very quickly with not a great deal of effort, whilst I've also seen many older people settling here after reaching retirement age make very little progress, despite making a genuine effort.

Just a shame that Spanish is not the first foreign language in UK schools.
With me, like many others, it was French. Yet despite the fact I detested it at the time and didn't take it too seriously, I'm amazed how much of it I find is still stuck there in my thick skull during my brief spells in France.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sitting here assuming they're a couple of thickos who weren't up to the task. I was actually wondering if there were other factors, such as how welcome and accommodating the locals were. I think it's interesting to hear about how those who avoid expat areas get on.

And if I am giving the impression that I find speaking Spanish easy, I certainly don't. I struggle with it.

I did French at school and know fewer than a dozen words of it. I am no natural.

Last edited by Horlics; Mar 3rd 2015 at 8:44 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 8:51 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
It's my opinion...and not necessarily true, that those who find it most difficult to learn the language are those who are the most afraid of being wrong. Often they are very intelligent people who are used to being top of the class at everything and don't like being at the bottom at all...so give up instead of appearing (to their minds) stupid.
That's a very good point and I've often seen it myself with some who have made excellent progress on their own, but seem to freeze or are terrified to put it into practice when the opportunity arises.

Personally I've learned not to give a damn if I cock it up, as I've found virtually all the Spanish folk with whom I've tried to connect to be very helpful, understanding and appreciative of my much less than perfect efforts.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 8:59 pm
On the road again.

I'm not sitting here assuming they're a couple of thickos who weren't up to the task. I was actually wondering if there were other factors, such as how welcome and accommodating the locals were. I think it's interesting to hear about how those who avoid expat areas get on.

And if I am giving the impression that I find speaking Spanish easy, I certainly don't. I struggle with it.

I did French at school and know fewer than a dozen words of it. I am no natural.
I live out in the sticks well outside of any expat zones. Brits living anywhere close are about as rare as hens teeth.
The locals here are wonderfully understanding and friendly and are always keen to make the effort to communicate and help in any way possible, regardless of any difficulties involved.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.