Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What do You think?

What do You think?

Old Dec 26th 2010, 8:57 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do You think?

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Not true at all.

Many ppl. throughout the football world have been expressing concern and discontent for a great many years about the dubious way in which FIFA have been controlling the world game, and I have little doubt it will continue to be the case long after the next World cup, or at least as long as the present shower of sh!t is in charge.

Seems it's only recently come to your attention due to the increased widespread media coverage of recent weeks.
Seems it's only come to your attention too, after England didn't get the vote!

Of course my assumption is probably as invalid as yours....
We've known about Mr blatter and FIFA for a long time now, yet England still spent various millions on "lobbying" to try and get the tournament. That's why, I'm afraid, I don't see any prospect of the major participants (ie the various countries) pulling out of FIFA and running their own tournament.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 9:10 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Seems it's only come to your attention too, after England didn't get the vote!

Of course my assumption is probably as invalid as yours....
We've known about Mr blatter and FIFA for a long time now, yet England still spent various millions on "lobbying" to try and get the tournament. That's why, I'm afraid, I don't see any prospect of the major participants (ie the various countries) pulling out of FIFA and running their own tournament.

I've mentioned it many times on many forums for many years.

No doubt lots of countries would like it cleaned up, but as long as palms are being greased and backs are being scratched, I don't see it happening with the virtual 100% support that would be required for it to work.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Not true at all.
No, agree, just the usual silly anti Brit comment from him. Whether we won or it or not, the BBC programme made it abundantly clear, even before the vote, exactly what they thought of the corruption within FIFA. I didn't see any other countries daring to utter a peep about the corruption within FIFA. Had the programme gone out after the vote, it certainly would have smacked of sour grapes, so I'm glad they did air it before the vote, and to hell with the outcome. The British press has long criticised FIFA, it's nothing new.
Foul! a BBC television exposé by Jennings and BBC producer Roger Corke for the BBC news programme Panorama was broadcast. In this hour-long programme, screened on June 11, 2006, Jennings and the Panorama team agree that Sepp Blatter was being investigated by Swiss police over his role in a secret deal to repay more than £1m worth of bribes pocketed by football officials.
I personally don't think the programme made much difference, their minds were already made up, and Australia, which didn't make any such programme, only got one vote for the later date! I see afterwards both Obama and Australia have come out criticising the decision, but had nothing to say before the vote.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 9:56 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
No, agree, just the usual silly anti Brit comment from him. Whether we won or it or not, the BBC programme made it abundantly clear, even before the vote, exactly what they thought of the corruption within FIFA. I didn't see any other countries daring to utter a peep about the corruption within FIFA. Had the programme gone out after the vote, it certainly would have smacked of sour grapes, so I'm glad they did air it before the vote, and to hell with the outcome. The British press has long criticised FIFA, it's nothing new.

I personally don't think the programme made much difference, their minds were already made up, and Australia, which didn't make any such programme, only got one vote for the later date! I see afterwards both Obama and Australia have come out criticising the decision, but had nothing to say before the vote.
The fact that Putin didn't even have to bother turning up, spoke volumes to me that it was already a done deal, long before our big nobs went over to try and influence the final decision.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 10:14 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

It baffles me why so many English are still moaning about this. Nothing's going to happen is it (unfortunately)? FIFA will continue just like it has done, and any little influence we may have had will be diminished and we're seen as poor losers. And I stand by my earlier comment - if England had won this event we would not have this thread and DD and Ago moaning about Fifa's corruption. It's been known for a long time (as DD rightly acknowledges) what the organisation is like, yet the FA still spent millions on their lobbying bid. Time to move on, instead of acting like whingeing Poms - unless there's an effective plan to change things, which there isn't.

But cheer up - we've got the Olympics !!!!!!

(I suspect I won't visit a single event, unless I volunteer ! Would have been nice to see the World Cup in this country before I die, but hey, plenty of chance to watch it on the box, or even to fly out to see it in Russia)
Old Dec 26th 2010, 11:15 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
It baffles me why so many English are still moaning about this. Nothing's going to happen is it (unfortunately)? FIFA will continue just like it has done, and any little influence we may have had will be diminished and we're seen as poor losers. And I stand by my earlier comment - if England had won this event we would not have this thread and DD and Ago moaning about Fifa's corruption. It's been known for a long time (as DD rightly acknowledges) what the organisation is like, yet the FA still spent millions on their lobbying bid. Time to move on, instead of acting like whingeing Poms - unless there's an effective plan to change things, which there isn't.

But cheer up - we've got the Olympics !!!!!!

(I suspect I won't visit a single event, unless I volunteer ! Would have been nice to see the World Cup in this country before I die, but hey, plenty of chance to watch it on the box, or even to fly out to see it in Russia)
...and I stand by my comment, that myself and many others not only in England, have been moaning for a long time and will likely continue moaning about dodgy dealings long into the future, or as long as there is such a thing as freedom of speech to air our views
The decision is still a fairly recent event, so naturally still receives widespread media coverage, for reasons as previously discussed.

I no more care about the Olympics being held in the UK, than I do about the World cup, and likewise I don't think too many ppl.give a toss where it is held.
It's the dirty underhand double dealing and cheating that gets up ppls backs.
There was plenty of that in the last Olympics, as always, much of it swept under the carpet to keep the Chinese sweet, and once again I have little doubt it will continue long into the future.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I no more care about the Olympics being held in the UK, than I do about the World cup, and likewise I don't think too many ppl.give a toss where it is held.
It's the dirty underhand double dealing and cheating that gets up ppls backs.
There was plenty of that in the last Olympics, as always, much of it swept under the carpet to keep the Chinese sweet, and once again I have little doubt it will continue long into the future.
Exactly my feelings, I care not a jot for the result, it's how it's arrived at. And I for one am delighted to see the UK press continuing to expose the corruption, rather than just lie down and accept it as some suggest. Thanks to the highlighting of some of the corruption, two members have been suspended, that's a start, more power to their elbow. If I watch any of the games, it will be on TV, so it doesn't matter to me whether it comes from Tottenham or Timbuktu. My sympathy is with the "real" supporters from all the countries (that sadly don't count for anything in all this) that will have to trek thousands of miles across Russia and endure the heat of Qatar. They must be mad!
Old Dec 27th 2010, 9:10 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by anonimouse
I am merely asking before you have a go

What do you think?

Are the Brits poor losers?

All that fuss about not getting the world cup, what do they say?

bah haaaa mehh he, we're not trying in 2022.

Well,Well,Well !

Talking of poor losers, what a sad, pathetic, toys out the pram performance AGAIN, from Ricky Ponting and co last night.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 9:35 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Ha Ha Ha!!

I caught a whingeing Aussie praying for rain on another forum. Damned good sports those down under chappies huh?

ETA I see Ponting's been fined 40% of his match fee

I might stay up and watch tonight.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 9:58 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Ha Ha Ha!!

I caught a whingeing Aussie praying for rain on another forum. Damned good sports those down under chappies huh?

ETA I see Ponting's been fined 40% of his match fee

I might stay up and watch tonight.
Normally I wouldn't give a crap, but as you say, give what poor sports they have been, beating them does feel good.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bil
Normally I wouldn't give a crap, but as you say, give what poor sports they have been, beating them does feel good.
Priceless! Especially as we are the whingers! That was a master class in whinging! Mind, it's not over yet, I bet they score more than 98 next innings!
Old Dec 27th 2010, 2:32 pm
On the road again.

After all, the Aussies are the original whingers, thats why many of them were sent down under in the first place.

Now the old Bulldog's got them by the googlies, let's hope he sinks his teeth well in and gives them something to whinge about.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 3:19 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

You can understand why in Aus the term 'pom' and 'whinger' are synonymous, when you go on some forums and hear how many brits are wingeing like crazy about the country they have moved too.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 6:56 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by bil
You can understand why in Aus the term 'pom' and 'whinger' are synonymous, when you go on some forums and hear how many brits are wingeing like crazy about the country they have moved too.
Not always without due cause.
Moving back to blighty may not always be quite such an easy option for some, after taking such a major step.

Probably they are all sick to death of all the Aussies whinging about Brits, which seems to be their national pastime.

Hope the old Bulldog learns them to change the record for once, and content themselves with whinging about something else, like their shambles of a childish cricket team for instance.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 9:14 pm
bil
Banned

Not always without due cause.
Moving back to blighty may not always be quite such an easy option for some, after taking such a major step.

Probably they are all sick to death of all the Aussies whinging about Brits, which seems to be their national pastime.

Hope the old Bulldog learns them to change the record for once, and content themselves with whinging about something else, like their shambles of a childish cricket team for instance.
Not saying the aussies are right, just that if you move to another country, don't whinge. it's bad manners, and stupid. You should shut the **** up or go home.

Imagine how you would feel about a group of immigrants who came to live in the uk and spent all their time complaining.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.