Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What do people miss / like?

What do people miss / like?

Old May 4th 2006, 2:56 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do people miss / like?

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
ohhhhhhhhhh so i can write whatever i like, as long as it doesn´t offend you (a random internet user) or spain as a country, wow, thanks??

so apparently on this forum no-one is allowed to ever write a derogatory remark about spain, ya´ll got that? Sña. Hypertweeky says so, right?

wow.. so this is what its like to live under franco

i guess that ends this thread - or should we get the title changed to "things you like about spain and things that Hypertweeky will like you to say"... ??

gestapo
Heh heh .... you just don't get it do you matey
Old May 4th 2006, 3:27 pm
jennydor

jennydor will become famous soon enoughjennydor will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: What do people miss / like?

Well well well,
it seems bfg69bug certainly got a lot off his chest,
I agree that there are always pro´s and cons to where you live,
I actually miss nothing from the uk, I keep in regular contact with family and thats all that matters,
If your not going to commit to where you live then whats the point.
If you dont like where you live, then dont live there, we all have choices.
The only thing that worried me about living over seas was incase something happened to family, but you know what, my mother was ill last yr and I flew back into Yorkshire to see her at the hospital, AND I got there quicker than my brother who had to drive all the way from Scotland!!! So now im not worried about anything
I love Spain I adore the culture, work for a very good reputable SPANISH boss, have a work contract,etc. And I know very few english here. My boys went to spanish schools not private and mix with the local kids, No where in the Uk can they play football out in the street till 3-4am on a weekend whilst the parents sit and chat, not getting legless. Ive foung its the visitors that abuse the drink, as bars are open for so long the Spanish dont have to drink as much as possible before closing time... thats an English thing.
My family join in all the local fiestas and love it.
Your only here once , do something that counts.
The only one thing you Never get more of is time! Why waste it bieng unhappy.
To anyone who has doubts about living in Spain, I have lived here 2 years, visited the uk twice, not through choice and miss nothing, but then Im where I want to be and like bieng! My msn readys 'oh no not another day in paradise'
Ps , my first time on here, good site!
Old May 4th 2006, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennydor
Ps , my first time on here, good site!
4am closing? you can do that in essex too

welcome to the site, i´m sure you will have a plesant stay
Old May 4th 2006, 7:26 pm
jennydor

Lightbulb Re: What do people miss / like?

4am closing? you can do that in essex too

welcome to the site, i´m sure you will have a plesant stay

What stays open in Essex till 4am? Im ASSUMING you mean the bars
Heres to more debates.
Old May 4th 2006, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

wow excellent you said exactly what everyone wanted to hear!!! are you the editors lap dog?
[snip]
See, bfg69bug, this is where you went wrong. Your list was, as you say, just a list - not one with which I agree - but clearly it is your perspective and one which you are entitled to and to which I would support your right to freely post without personal attacks.

But then why did you have to start a personal attack on another poster? The reaction you engender from thereon in is only to be expected. It would have been sufficient to have said you disagree and constructive to have listed your reasons why.

With respect to the list itself I can only say that many of the negative things that you perceive have not been my experience, but clearly there are increasingly bad areas of Spain that should be avoided by anyone wishing to have a peaceful and happy life. That said, the necessity to work often puts us into conflict here.

There are bound to be conflicting points of view on forums such as this. We touch on emotive topics and everyone is different - different age groups, different social backgrounds, different means and different priorities in life. We discuss these subjects with people that we normally either wouldn't associate with, or become friends with, if we met them in real life. Either we accept that and try and learn from our differences, or we all end up flaming each other.

Last edited by Unexpat; May 4th 2006 at 8:00 pm.
Old May 4th 2006, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

excellent post unexpat, and i totally agree with you.

what i said was not meant to be taken so seriously, in effect i meant the dig to be at the general forum "culture" not the poster in person. it bugs me that on a forum about spain its "looked down on" to say anything bad about it, the same applies on car forums, boat forums, car forums.. it happens all over, i apologise if i offended anyone.

sorry.
Old May 5th 2006, 1:26 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

excellent post unexpat, and i totally agree with you.

what i said was not meant to be taken so seriously, in effect i meant the dig to be at the general forum "culture" not the poster in person. it bugs me that on a forum about spain its "looked down on" to say anything bad about it, the same applies on car forums, boat forums, car forums.. it happens all over, i apologise if i offended anyone.

sorry.
It wasn't meant to be taken seriously??, I guess I am confussed then. The suggestion I gave you about making your point, not only applies to the discussion about Spain but to any discussion, it is about being considerate, it is obvious that you don't understand or don't want to understand.
I am staying out of it. I accept your apology.

Have a nice day!

Last edited by Hypertweeky; May 5th 2006 at 1:31 am.
Old May 5th 2006, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

un-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud of

Oh, for heaven's sake, don't react like such a drama queen! There are bad things about Spain (not least, whining foreigners), but why be so negative about the place? If you don't like it, push off and leave. The country has a lot to offer - not just the weather. The culture, the food, the people, the architecture, the landscape, to mention but a few in random order.

My parents (now sadly depleted to one parent - my father is there in body if no longer in spirit) have lived there for over 30 years, and my mother would rather stick swords into her body rather than return to the UK. Each to their own, eh?

Edit to say, not to you hyper.

Last edited by un-mundo; May 5th 2006 at 1:43 am.
Old May 5th 2006, 5:25 pm
jennydor

Question Re: What do people miss / like?

You all know what?
As I understand the thread was asking what we like and miss!!
That said , this is all bfg69bug did..now if you agree with him or not no one asked him for a politically correct non offensive answer. He simply told it as he probably would have if he'd been talking to you down the pub or having a chat. Some things can be said and depending on tone of voice can upset or make you smile, how you chose to read it is up to you.
He may have put it a different way but then that wouldn't be his own unique opinion, just one tailored not to offend.
I'm sure it wasn't said to offend anyone but said as an honest answer to the question, and I thought we had the freedom of speech wherever we live, we may not necessarily agree with it but so what! We all see the world through different eyes and just be glad you see yours as you do, obviously some people see things differently. And some of the postings that went on the defence about what he said did so by saying practically the same about people and things in the UK, probably offensive to people who still live there!!
you cant please everyone all the time, so be happy and let the others worry about themselves!
Old May 5th 2006, 6:40 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennydor
You all know what?
As I understand the thread was asking what we like and miss!!
That said , this is all bfg69bug did..now if you agree with him or not no one asked him for a politically correct non offensive answer. He simply told it as he probably would have if he'd been talking to you down the pub or having a chat. Some things can be said and depending on tone of voice can upset or make you smile, how you chose to read it is up to you.
He may have put it a different way but then that wouldn't be his own unique opinion, just one tailored not to offend.
I'm sure it wasn't said to offend anyone but said as an honest answer to the question, and I thought we had the freedom of speech wherever we live, we may not necessarily agree with it but so what! We all see the world through different eyes and just be glad you see yours as you do, obviously some people see things differently. And some of the postings that went on the defence about what he said did so by saying practically the same about people and things in the UK, probably offensive to people who still live there!!
you cant please everyone all the time, so be happy and let the others worry about themselves!
Its nothing to do with opinions .. although extremely negative hes perfectly within his rights to express them as indeed we are. However some other remarks have not been appreciated, and thats been the problem.

I really think we should get on with something else now. Lets all have a group hug and those of us that are happy with our lot can feel warm and cuddly and those that aren't can maybe see a way around their problems by reading our experiences.
Old May 5th 2006, 7:22 pm
jennydor

cool,
Lets all move on, Ive sent a new post but dont seem to have may replies.
good luck to all who live out here in Spain, you know you made the right choice.
life here is good and the more you get intergrated the better it gets!
happy thoughts to all
Old May 5th 2006, 8:08 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I really think we should get on with something else now. Lets all have a group hug and those of us that are happy with our lot can feel warm and cuddly and those that aren't can maybe see a way around their problems by reading our experiences.
I am game!
Old May 5th 2006, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

suits me fine
Old May 6th 2006, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

un-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud of

Me too! Sorry if I sounded a bit snappy, bfg. Spain isn't utopia, but there's much to be said in favour of it.

There are negatives, of course. Winter is a damned sight colder than the tv programmes would have you believe. Whilst fully in favour of the chill attitude, it does infuriate me that so many delivery companies/services seem to treat delivery on Monday morning as a very moveable feast!