Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What do people miss / like?

What do people miss / like?

Old Apr 28th 2006, 9:35 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do people miss / like?

[QUOTE=bfg69bug]well thats what you get for not getting out at night...
the "the sun shines out of spains bumhole" brigade where spain is their idea of perfection. they are blinkered ignorant people. (NOT about you Britbull)
QUOTE]

People all have their own experiences, yours are clearly bad.
Big chip you've got on your shoulder there mate If its that bad why you still there then??
Old Apr 28th 2006, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Originally Posted by bfg69bug
well thats what you get for not getting out at night...
the "the sun shines out of spains bumhole" brigade where spain is their idea of perfection. they are blinkered ignorant people. (NOT about you Britbull)

Big chip you've got on your shoulder there mate If its that bad why you still there then??

(if you are going to write your own tags put them in the right place mitz )

i´m here because i have no choice. i have no chip. i just see alot of comparisons because i know both sides - i´m in the uk more than here generally tho.

and yes, i totally agree with you - i am only telling people what i miss or like and dislike about spain, thats all that was asked for and thats all i am doing ? am i wrong to do so if it does not conform with everyone elses views ?
Old Apr 28th 2006, 9:52 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

(if you are going to write your own tags put them in the right place mitz )

i´m here because i have no choice. i have no chip. i just see alot of comparisons because i know both sides - i´m in the uk more than here generally tho.

and yes, i totally agree with you - i am only telling people what i miss or like and dislike about spain, thats all that was asked for and thats all i am doing ? am i wrong to do so if it does not conform with everyone elses views ?
No no problem at all, but I've got to tell you that on all the forums i float about on I have never seen such a negative viewpoint on Spain, and my only point is that you must be a very very unhappy person if you dislike Spain that much and still have to live here. I hope you find a happier life soon mate
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

me too

so come on people we want to hear your experiences - what do you like, dislike and miss ?
Old Apr 29th 2006, 9:05 am
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

the way that people are prepared to travel for an hour to go shopping when in the uk everything is convienent and just down the road.
Like I said "tongue in cheek" but on the other hand,
I hate being here in the UK, which is why I am planning to move out as soon as possible, but my list of dislikes about the UK is half that of your dislikes of Spain so why do you stay, as for the "sun shinning out of a bumhole" I am more than aware of the pitfalls created when you move aboard be it Spain or anywhere ,I have lived in Canada/USA for example, I do not view Spain through rose tinted glasses, of course there are problems and difficulties but these are also some of the reasons why Spain is more attractive than say France or Greece, I don't want all the stress related to living in the UK, the manana attitude of Spain is greatly exaggerated but there is a underling attitude of "hey lets chill a bit" which I genuinely believe is more beneficial than getting stressed out because "the car park charges in Tesco has gone up again and there are still no spaces (for example)" We get so worked up in the UK if the slightest thing is not perfect, the Mediterranean attitude is so much more relaxed, so what if you can't buy watneys red barrel, its just so unimportant. But you can buy local red wine and olives that not only taste better but do you good as well.
Again I have no idea why you stay in a country which for you appears worse than living in the UK, If I were you mate I'd move back and let someone who appreciates a different country and welcomes the new lifestyle take your place.
Old Apr 29th 2006, 3:20 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

this is why the whole world is so diverse -

I spent many a month in spain in the 90's in Madrid mainly but also travelled to the more well known Brit/Irish settlements!
I woul live in Madrid tomorrow and love the place but as for where all the Brits/Irish congregate and tourist areas - NO WAY!

not saying theres anything wrong with it for others but it just is SOOOOO wrong for me. I hate seeing a fish and chip bar on a spanish beach - I really do. I hate seeing english/irish pubs all along the promenande.....

I just wanna go to spain, eat in local places and experience the spanish culture.

I appreciate that others want the things I so heavily dislike but I put it to the brits on this site - if Blackpool was overtaken but French tourists, business, restaurants, expats - how would you feel seeing a British seaside landmark basically turn French???

I cant say how much I dislike the fish and chip shop/english breakfast Brit brigade in Spain purely because of their total arrogance and disrespect for the country they are visiting..... I mean fish and chips and a english breakfast are hardly things I would eat over a lovely spanish meal!!

I think the spanish made a huge mistake allowing so many english owned restaurants and businesses to set up - they are losing their own identitity in so many parts of the coast.

As I said before (before you all scream at me for wanting to live your dream in a bar in Spain) .... imagine if that happened in the UK and we were seeing resorts such as Brighton turn into little Germany??
Old Apr 29th 2006, 4:35 pm
Senior Moment

Errrrrrr .... excuse me islandmom ... when was the last time you were in England? I have lived in Birmingham for over 20 years and there are areas of Birmingham with streets full of Indian shops & restaurants. There are streets full of Chinese shops & restaurants. In fact in most major cities this is the case with influences from many other countries.

I guess this is another case of thoughtless type casting. Personally the area I have chosen to settle in has the odd irish bar here and there, but then thats (as you say) the diverse world we live in. In Denia just down the road there are Spanish bars, & German bars. Would you like to have a go at the Germans also for invading Spain with their bratwuurst & beers? Maybe discuss their "disrespect and arrogance" for being there? Or maybe the Portuguese? Or the Irish? Perhaps have a go at the Pakistanis, Indians & Chinese that have made their homes and businesses in the UK? Blimey, theres even a number of caribbean cuisine restaurants in Birmingham and they should obviously shut up shop immediately !!!

But I don't "live my dream" in a bar in Spain and I really wish people would stop making these huge generalisations about a permanent diet of fish and chips and constant inebriation for the british people. I personally find it very offensive.

Whichever country you go to you will find influences from other countries. I'm not saying I'm particularly happy about the levante area in Benidorm for instance, but there again I keep away from there. Thats not to say that the Spanish population there aren't very happy for the revenue that all these brit tourists bring to the town. And in fact there are a couple of English restaurants in Oliva which are regularly to be seen full of Spaniards!

Disrespect is the last thing I show for the Spanish culture. The same as you I want to enjoy it as much as I can. There are those that don't, but as I say thats the same for any nationality, and you should realise before making such comments that if Spain is being spoiled, its not soley something created by the British.
Old Apr 29th 2006, 5:42 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Errrrrrr .... excuse me islandmom ... when was the last time you were in England? I have lived in Birmingham for over 20 years and there are areas of Birmingham with streets full of Indian shops & restaurants. There are streets full of Chinese shops & restaurants. In fact in most major cities this is the case with influences from many other countries.

I guess this is another case of thoughtless type casting. Personally the area I have chosen to settle in has the odd irish bar here and there, but then thats (as you say) the diverse world we live in. In Denia just down the road there are Spanish bars, & German bars. Would you like to have a go at the Germans also for invading Spain with their bratwuurst & beers? Maybe discuss their "disrespect and arrogance" for being there? Or maybe the Portuguese? Or the Irish? Perhaps have a go at the Pakistanis, Indians & Chinese that have made their homes and businesses in the UK? Blimey, theres even a number of caribbean cuisine restaurants in Birmingham and they should obviously shut up shop immediately !!!

But I don't "live my dream" in a bar in Spain and I really wish people would stop making these huge generalisations about a permanent diet of fish and chips and constant inebriation for the british people. I personally find it very offensive.

Whichever country you go to you will find influences from other countries. I'm not saying I'm particularly happy about the levante area in Benidorm for instance, but there again I keep away from there. Thats not to say that the Spanish population there aren't very happy for the revenue that all these brit tourists bring to the town. And in fact there are a couple of English restaurants in Oliva which are regularly to be seen full of Spaniards!

Disrespect is the last thing I show for the Spanish culture. The same as you I want to enjoy it as much as I can. There are those that don't, but as I say thats the same for any nationality, and you should realise before making such comments that if Spain is being spoiled, its not soley something created by the British.

Mitzyboy - I wasnt in any way trying to diss the lives of any expats in Spain - just merely saying how when I travel to Spainand see overwhelming "britishisation" of much of the coast I find it sad as it seems to have lost its spanish identity. I have frineds emigrating right now and hope they'll love the life, they have chosen a spanish village with minimal expats as what is right for them.

As I say diversity is the key - we all do and go where we feel most comfortable, I was just shocked at the mass Brit culture now swamping coastal spain. To me - its sad,.... to others its great, and the disrespect I mentioned tends to be an observation of the tourists (not the expats) most of whom choose that region of Spain because it is essentially blackpool in the sun.

Of course the world benefits by different cultures in differing countries - but does Spain just have too much.......?
Old Apr 29th 2006, 9:02 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by islandmom
Of course the world benefits by different cultures in differing countries - but does Spain just have too much.......?
As with most countries I think it depends where you go. If you visit balti land in Birmingham then there is an overwhelming amount of Indian restaurants and shops. Theres a chinese quarter. Its a big city ... many nationalities.

If you go to certain places in Spain its the same, albeit Germans, English & Irish. Torre ....the North of Benidorm for sure. Moraira seemed to have been taken over by Germans. Where these pockets exist so businesses strike up to support those expats.

So Spain is just another example really ... you could say it about many countries in the world which attract people from other countries to live there.

Maybe you're right. Maybe parts of Spain are no longer Spanish. Maybe the Spanish hate us for it. But they want a booming economy, and the building boom generated by these ex pats has fuelled that boom and helped them to reach I think the 6th stongest economy in Europe. Progress I think its called. Not always to everyones taste I know
Old May 2nd 2006, 5:27 pm
Sun, Sea & Sangria.

BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of

Mate, I was out from Saturday 8pm to Sunday 8am in Puerto Banus & Marbella Town. No trouble, no violence, beers were 4.50 a go which is not too bad considering it's a tourist spot.

I stay away form PB as a general rule as I am sick of British fat blokes with shaved heads and attitudes but that was a good night....or possibly I am in no position to comment after having my outlook somewhat altered by all those cheap drugs you referred to

cajate pendejo tengo ja siete años aqui y yo habla español perfectamente y para tu informacion, gibralter estas mas o meños un hora y media de mi casa...eso muyo lejo para ir al trabajo. no vas a gibralter a compra algunas juegos de consola o compactos- ver los precios tio estas MUY caro 17.99 libra para una compact?? eso es una broma en los sitios donde puede compra juegos en españa (eroski myramar cerca fuengerola, la cañada... ) ellos son €49,95 o mas.. carrisimo!!!!

yo tengo una problema con las drogas prohibidos que estas barata - el año pasado estoy una camarero y siempre yo ver las problemas que hacamos la coka...
pendejo

Cd's and PS2 games in Gib are actually very reasonable from what I have seen in Spain and the UK for that matter.

If you were a waiter in a tourist area I expect you are no longer, if you tar every tourist with the same brush and treat them badly, my guess is you were sacked....

I fully agree with you there is a large coke problem.

Thanks, not offended.
I agree with you that people can go from one Country to another and immediately speak of wherever they are as their idea of perfection. This is usually to people from where they have just arrived from and is human nature to some extent.

If you like more than you dislike I guess you have done the right thing.
If you dislike more than you like then my suggestion is move elsewhere.

MITZYBOY speaks sense, I agree entirely.

Cheers

BB
Old May 2nd 2006, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

i was "no longer required because the bar owner was too tight to soundproof the bar and lost his licence. i was not fired. think what you like. 4.50€ a beer ? you think thats good ? i could garentee you´ll have a better saturday night in alhaurin el grande (15 minutes inland) and it´ll be cheaper, a beer is only 1.50€.

anyways, stop slagging me off and get back to the thread huh ?

whats everyones likes and dislikes about spain then ?
Old May 2nd 2006, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

tiddler is a jewel in the roughtiddler is a jewel in the roughtiddler is a jewel in the roughtiddler is a jewel in the rough

The friends i've made since being here and who supported me when my husband died suddenly....no one crossed the street because they didn't know what to say.
Children playing in the street.
Being accepted for who i am and not what i have.
The weather.
Siestas.
Fieras.
Sitting in the garden/in front of the house talking to friends.
Living in a place where only spanish live.
Not having to sit in a traffic jam for what seems like hours to get to work.

MISS:
Nothing
Old May 2nd 2006, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

un-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tiddler
The friends i've made since being here and who supported me when my husband died suddenly....no one crossed the street because they didn't know what to say.
Children playing in the street.
Being accepted for who i am and not what i have.
The weather.
Siestas.
Fieras.
Sitting in the garden/in front of the house talking to friends.
Living in a place where only spanish live.
Not having to sit in a traffic jam for what seems like hours to get to work.

MISS:
Nothing
Cool post, tiddler! Sorry to hear about your husband's death, though. But you sound like a strong woman. Glad you have integrated so well in Spain.
Old May 2nd 2006, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

wow excellent you said exactly what everyone wanted to hear!!! are you the editors lap dog?

sorry to hear about your husband. unfortunatly you are not alone in this. i feel sorry for everyone that loses a partner.
Old May 2nd 2006, 11:57 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

cajate pendejo tengo ja siete años aqui y yo habla español perfectamente y para tu informacion, gibralter estas mas o meños un hora y media de mi casa...eso muyo lejo para ir al trabajo. no vas a gibralter a compra algunas juegos de consola o compactos- ver los precios tio estas MUY caro 17.99 libra para una compact?? eso es una broma en los sitios donde puede compra juegos en españa (eroski myramar cerca fuengerola, la cañada... ) ellos son €49,95 o mas.. carrisimo!!!!

yo tengo una problema con las drogas prohibidos que estas barata - el año pasado estoy una camarero y siempre yo ver las problemas que hacamos la coka...

it wasn´t a rant, just a list which is what was asked for ?

and the "todo" shops arn´t ?? :scared: wow i best go and buy some of their excellent imported goods!!!!!

thats a good example, cos a 12 month old kid really has a choice what you feed it...

i said CHEAP .. lol you been to estepona / marbella / sanpedro / or even malaga port for a drink ? talk about shock !

i wasn´t talking just about me. have you seen how much the Guardia Civil get paid ? its something pathetic like 250€ a week according to the 2 page spread in the sur in english. the local police get more than the guardia.

anyways.. back to the thread in hand.. what do the people who LIVE in spain like or dislike about spain and indeed miss from the uk ?

I don't mean to sound rude but the paragraph you typed in Spanish had a lot of typos, why don't you take spanish lessons?, that'll keep your mind off all the things you hate about Spain..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.