Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What to bring to Spain from the UK - Help please!!!

What to bring to Spain from the UK - Help please!!!

Old Sep 21st 2005, 8:59 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Guardamar
Posts: 32
spanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nice
Default What to bring to Spain from the UK - Help please!!!

Hi everyone.

This is my first message in a while. We have moved houses in the UK, and are now living temporarily in rented accommodation until our move to Guardamar next July (ish!).

We have sold some of our furniture, had a car boot sale to get rid of other surplus stuff, and are still left with lots and lots of things. We know we won't be taking all of this to Spain, but what things should we bring?

We have a good quality sofa bed which we will be bringing with us. Apart from that, and our personal stuff, we are not sure. I am thinking of buying a lap top computer here in the UK to bring over. Would that be ok and work ok in Spain please?

What about electrical goods? Our TV is new, so that will be coming with us. We have been told that our Video and DVD won't work in Spain, so will be buying new when we get there. Would we be better buying small kitchen appliances over there? (eg kettles, toasters, etc).

We are coming over to Spain in November for a few days, so will be able to have a look around the shops at goods etc, but I know that you give out good information on this site, so would be grateful for your help.

There is probably lots of information we need to find out, so watch this space!!.

Any other tips would be gratefully received.

Regards

Spanishgirl
spanishgirl is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2005, 9:52 pm
  #2  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1
JustinM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What to bring to Spain from the UK - Help please!!!

Originally Posted by spanishgirl
Hi everyone.

This is my first message in a while. We have moved houses in the UK, and are now living temporarily in rented accommodation until our move to Guardamar next July (ish!).

We have sold some of our furniture, had a car boot sale to get rid of other surplus stuff, and are still left with lots and lots of things. We know we won't be taking all of this to Spain, but what things should we bring?

We have a good quality sofa bed which we will be bringing with us. Apart from that, and our personal stuff, we are not sure. I am thinking of buying a lap top computer here in the UK to bring over. Would that be ok and work ok in Spain please?

What about electrical goods? Our TV is new, so that will be coming with us. We have been told that our Video and DVD won't work in Spain, so will be buying new when we get there. Would we be better buying small kitchen appliances over there? (eg kettles, toasters, etc).

We are coming over to Spain in November for a few days, so will be able to have a look around the shops at goods etc, but I know that you give out good information on this site, so would be grateful for your help.

There is probably lots of information we need to find out, so watch this space!!.

Any other tips would be gratefully received.

Regards

Spanishgirl
All of your electrical stuff ie t.v, video and dvd will work out there you just won`t be able to tune in to spanish t.v, you`ll get picture but no sound, to watch spanish t.v you can have your t.v sorted but it`s easier to buy a cheap video and as long as it has a scart lead you can tune everything through that. well thats what we done for eight years! other stuff like toasters and kettles are cheaper by about a third.oh and bien viaje!
JustinM is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 12:48 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
countryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Sax, Nr Elda Alicante.
Posts: 223
countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What to bring to Spain from the UK - Help please!!!

Hello Spanishgirl,

Like JustinM said, if you bring your TV and Video, and DVD player they will work over here but you have to be careful of the power output it might be advisable to have a surge protector for your Computer and other electrial items.

If you buy a cheep Spanish Video recorder and connect it to your TV via a scart plug you will be able to tune it into the Spanish channels (But why you should do this hevens knows, as the Spanish TV programs are a bit miff).

We have three computers all protected by surge protectors and they work really well. If you can get ADSL from Telefonica you would be advised to unplug it from the ciruit when you have thunderstorms, as we have lost two ADSL modems because of this problem.

I would advise you about not brining a washing machine over here as the power output in Spain surges and makes a mess of the circut boards it would be advisable to buy white goods here in Spain. and you would also have the three year guarntee and servising contracts.

I do hope this is what you are looking for, if you require more info then post away.

Good Luck
David
countryboy is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 7:45 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Guardamar
Posts: 32
spanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nice
Default Re: What to bring to Spain from the UK - Help please!!!

Hi Justin

Thanks for your reply. So we can bring the video and dvd? We have been told to leave them at home, so that information is good news.

We have just began to think about moving our stuff. We'll dump our well used things, but its such a shame to get rid of good articles. I know it costs to take them to Spain. Thats our next task, finding a reputable, reasonable company who will take our things to the Guardamar area.

Any recommendations?

My head is full of everything Spanish at the moment. I still work virtually full time, but can't wait until we are actually in Spain. Only one more UK winter to endure!

Will leave our small electrical kitchen appliances behind and start anew in Spain.

Thanks for your reply

Regards.

Spanishgirl
Originally Posted by JustinM
All of your electrical stuff ie t.v, video and dvd will work out there you just won`t be able to tune in to spanish t.v, you`ll get picture but no sound, to watch spanish t.v you can have your t.v sorted but it`s easier to buy a cheap video and as long as it has a scart lead you can tune everything through that. well thats what we done for eight years! other stuff like toasters and kettles are cheaper by about a third.oh and bien viaje!
spanishgirl is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 7:59 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Guardamar
Posts: 32
spanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nice
Default Re: What to bring to Spain from the UK - Help please!!!

Hi Countryboy

Thanks for the info. Will definitely be getting surge protectors after what you have written!

We are going to buy a new computer here in the UK. Do you think that a laptop would be better than an ordinary one? (I can just see myself working on a laptop on the solarium with a g&t in one hand, gazing out occasionally at the magnificent views as I e-mail my friends in the UK who are hard at work ...) Only joking! But seriously, would a laptop make better sense?

We will be getting white goods in with the house, so I meant the smaller appliances, but after Justin's e-mail, I think we will buy them in Spain when we arrive.

I've heard horror stories about Telefonica. Are they true? It would be like having my left arm cut off (I'm left handed!) not to have internet and telephone access. We are buying a new property by the Salt Lakes near Guardamar. Different people have told me different things, so I'm just confused ; o ) :scared:

We visited the Lemon Market on our last trip, and have been told that it will close soon as the land has been sold for more housing. Is this true, does anyone know?

If anyone has any information/ideas/comments about living around the Guardamar area, I would love to hear. We ejoy cycling, badminton, walking and can't wait to have enough leisure time to actually do some of them!

Thanks for your info.

Regards.

Spanishgirl

Originally Posted by countryboy
Hello Spanishgirl,

Like JustinM said, if you bring your TV and Video, and DVD player they will work over here but you have to be careful of the power output it might be advisable to have a surge protector for your Computer and other electrial items.

If you buy a cheep Spanish Video recorder and connect it to your TV via a scart plug you will be able to tune it into the Spanish channels (But why you should do this hevens knows, as the Spanish TV programs are a bit miff).

We have three computers all protected by surge protectors and they work really well. If you can get ADSL from Telefonica you would be advised to unplug it from the ciruit when you have thunderstorms, as we have lost two ADSL modems because of this problem.

I would advise you about not brining a washing machine over here as the power output in Spain surges and makes a mess of the circut boards it would be advisable to buy white goods here in Spain. and you would also have the three year guarntee and servising contracts.

I do hope this is what you are looking for, if you require more info then post away.

Good Luck
David
spanishgirl is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 9:03 am
  #6  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 3,254
Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What to bring to Spain from the UK - Help please!!!

Originally Posted by spanishgirl
Hi Justin

Thanks for your reply. So we can bring the video and dvd? We have been told to leave them at home, so that information is good news.

We have just began to think about moving our stuff. We'll dump our well used things, but its such a shame to get rid of good articles. I know it costs to take them to Spain. Thats our next task, finding a reputable, reasonable company who will take our things to the Guardamar area.

Any recommendations?

My head is full of everything Spanish at the moment. I still work virtually full time, but can't wait until we are actually in Spain. Only one more UK winter to endure!

Will leave our small electrical kitchen appliances behind and start anew in Spain.

Thanks for your reply

Regards.

Spanishgirl
Hi Spanishgirl,

We`re moving over to Spain in December. After many quotes by removal firms and pricing up doing the move ourselves, we`ve gone with a company called Insped. They`re based in Bradford. I noticed your from Yorkshire, so not too far away. There director came round to our house to see what items we were taking. they have a website www.insped.co.uk.

Regards taking white goods over. We had planned to take washing machine, tumble dryer, microwave and fridgefreezer. After reading this thread we are now down to fridgefreezer and microwave. Will they work ok in Spain?

Sam

Last edited by Pam Sarky; Sep 23rd 2005 at 9:08 am.
Pam Sarky is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 9:22 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
countryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Sax, Nr Elda Alicante.
Posts: 223
countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What to bring to Spain from the UK - Help please!!!

Originally Posted by sam parky
Hi Spanishgirl,

We`re moving over to Spain in December. After many quotes by removal firms and pricing up doing the move ourselves, we`ve gone with a company called Insped. They`re based in Bradford. I noticed your from Yorkshire, so not too far away. There director came round to our house to see what items we were taking. they have a website www.insped.co.uk.

Regards taking white goods over. We had planned to take washing machine, tumble dryer, microwave and fridgefreezer. After reading this thread we are now down to fridgefreezer and microwave. Will they work ok in Spain Sam
Hello Sam yes you can use your microwave and FF here in Spain I have with mine as there are no big problems with surge of power to damage these items. I was a Domestic Service Engineer for 20 years before my back gave out, now I am a Massage Therapist much more genteel and no stress lol

Good luck with your move.
countryboy is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 9:25 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Guardamar
Posts: 32
spanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nice
Smile Re: What to bring to Spain from the UK - Help please!!!

Hi Sam

Thanks for the info. Yes, we are from Wakefield, so the firm you have given me details aren't so far away. Has anyone who uses this site had experience of them, I wonder. I'll certainly give them a ring and get a quote.

You are nearer to the move than we are, so keep me posted! I'm no expert on electrical goods, but I think I read somewhere that fridge/freezers from the UK don't work so good over there, but do check. I think microwaves might be ok, but they are cheap to buy over there. I don't know where you are going, but in the Guardamar area, there is a big Carrefour supermarket which seems to be a one stop shop in that you can get almost everything there. A woman's paradise, I'm sure! (Its my husband's hell, but there you go!)

I hope your move goes well.

Regards.

Spanishgirl

Hi Spanishgirl,

We`re moving over to Spain in December. After many quotes by removal firms and pricing up doing the move ourselves, we`ve gone with a company called Insped. They`re based in Bradford. I noticed your from Yorkshire, so not too far away. There director came round to our house to see what items we were taking. they have a website www.insped.co.uk.

Regards taking white goods over. We had planned to take washing machine, tumble dryer, microwave and fridgefreezer. After reading this thread we are now down to fridgefreezer and microwave. Will they work ok in Spain?

Sam[/QUOTE]
spanishgirl is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 9:31 am
  #9  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 3,254
Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What to bring to Spain from the UK - Help please!!!

Originally Posted by spanishgirl
Hi Sam

Thanks for the info. Yes, we are from Wakefield, so the firm you have given me details aren't so far away. Has anyone who uses this site had experience of them, I wonder. I'll certainly give them a ring and get a quote.

You are nearer to the move than we are, so keep me posted! I'm no expert on electrical goods, but I think I read somewhere that fridge/freezers from the UK don't work so good over there, but do check. I think microwaves might be ok, but they are cheap to buy over there. I don't know where you are going, but in the Guardamar area, there is a big Carrefour supermarket which seems to be a one stop shop in that you can get almost everything there. A woman's paradise, I'm sure! (Its my husband's hell, but there you go!)

I hope your move goes well.

Regards.

Spanishgirl

Hi Spanishgirl,

We`re moving over to Spain in December. After many quotes by removal firms and pricing up doing the move ourselves, we`ve gone with a company called Insped. They`re based in Bradford. I noticed your from Yorkshire, so not too far away. There director came round to our house to see what items we were taking. they have a website www.insped.co.uk.

Regards taking white goods over. We had planned to take washing machine, tumble dryer, microwave and fridgefreezer. After reading this thread we are now down to fridgefreezer and microwave. Will they work ok in Spain?

Sam
[/QUOTE]
Hi Spanish girl,

If you would the directors mobile number send me a pm. He seems to get things done quite quickly. I dont know of anyone else thats used them, but theres a first time for everyting. Apparently they go over to Spain almost daily and you only have to give them a weeks notice. I`ll let you know how we get on with them.

Countryboy, its a pity your not living on the Costa de la Luz. My husband would be on your books the day we move over. Since us visiting Malaysia he`s not got over those massages on the beach.

Sam
Pam Sarky is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 4:35 pm
  #10  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 3,254
Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What to bring to Spain from the UK - Help please!!!

Originally Posted by countryboy
Hello Sam yes you can use your microwave and FF here in Spain I have with mine as there are no big problems with surge of power to damage these items. I was a Domestic Service Engineer for 20 years before my back gave out, now I am a Massage Therapist much more genteel and no stress lol

Good luck with your move.
Hi Countryboy,

Another question, but not on white goods. We have a gas bbq, would you recommend bringing it with us, bearing in mind we`ll have to buy a new gas bottle and fill it etc. Or should we buy a bbq or griddle in Spain. I think I`ve read on another thread somewhere on here that bbq`s are quite expensive to buy in Spain.

We`re in the same position as you, Spanishgirl. We`ve sold our house and are also living in rented. How are you finding it? Personally, I`m not too happy, theres no place like your own home. Oh well, not too long to wait.

Sam
Pam Sarky is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 6:30 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Guardamar
Posts: 32
spanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nice
Default Re: What to bring to Spain from the UK - Help please!!!

Hi Sam

We moved into our rented property about four weeks ago. Its an older property than we had, with no garage and no hallway, so straight from the lounge to the front street. Its cosy, but I'm not looking forward to the winter when we have to scrape the ice off the windscreen before we can use it. The bonus is that I can walk to work and back, so can leave the car at home whenever I need to.

Its a bit like being on holiday. Since its rented, there's no pressure to be forever diy-ing, although I do need to redecorate in places. It will soon pass, I'm sure, and we are very excited about settling in a new place in the sun.

Where abouts will you be settling? We don't have a gas bbq at present, so I can't help you about that.

Regards.

Spanishgirl
spanishgirl is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 6:38 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Guardamar
Posts: 32
spanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nice
Default Re: What to bring to Spain from the UK - Help please!!!

Hi Countryboy

I just noticed you used to be a Domestic Service Engineer. So is my husband. Is there any work out there for such a skill? I know you say that you are now a Massage Therapist, but just wondered whether my husband might find a bit of work in the sun! He was employed by Electrolux for about 30 years, so can mend the odd domestic appliance, no problem. He was apprentice trained as an Electrician at the YEB (that shows our age!)

We will only need to work part time if possible. Is it hard to find work on the South Costa Blanca?

Regards.

Spanishgirl
spanishgirl is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2005, 12:29 pm
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
countryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Sax, Nr Elda Alicante.
Posts: 223
countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What to bring to Spain from the UK - Help please!!!

Hello Spanishgirl & sam parky,

The answer to the Gas BBQ is yes you can use this item over here you might have to buy a Regulator and some hose but they are reasonabley priced, the price of a bottle of the orange bottles of gas is around 9:50 euros a time, these can be bought from Garages, or your local gas dealer.

As for working as a Service Engineer it all depends where you move to if it is on around the coast you might find work as an empolyee for an english speaking firm, but dont put your hopes up too high, if onthe other hand you wanted to set up yourself you might find this difficult, as the first problem would be Speaking Spanish, if you can Speak Spanish well you do stand a chance of either working for someone or setting up yourself.

I have been asked several times in the last year to look at someone's washing machine that they have brought over from the UK only to tell them that their machine was made to work on the English system 240 volts. Most of the Spanish system works on 220 volts but this can vary at different times of the day. mind you, these machines they have brought from the UK have been digital and the microprocessor has failed, causing the problem of do you (if you can) buy the part from the UK which was made for the UK market or do you buy the Part from the Spanish market, both these options can cause the same fault, (are you still with me? I shall be asking questions after lol) as in the UK part could fail again and the Spanish part (or modle of machine)might not be available here in Spain, bothe these options are fraught with problems, so my advice to anyone is to buy white goods here in Spain as you do get the service guantree and two years cover for the white goods.
countryboy is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2005, 9:39 am
  #14  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 8
Bryan G. Singer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What to bring to Spain from the UK - Help please!!!

Originally Posted by spanishgirl
Hi Countryboy

Thanks for the info. Will definitely be getting surge protectors after what you have written!

We are going to buy a new computer here in the UK. Do you think that a laptop would be better than an ordinary one? (I can just see myself working on a laptop on the solarium with a g&t in one hand, gazing out occasionally at the magnificent views as I e-mail my friends in the UK who are hard at work ...) Only joking! But seriously, would a laptop make better sense?

We will be getting white goods in with the house, so I meant the smaller appliances, but after Justin's e-mail, I think we will buy them in Spain when we arrive.

I've heard horror stories about Telefonica. Are they true? It would be like having my left arm cut off (I'm left handed!) not to have internet and telephone access. We are buying a new property by the Salt Lakes near Guardamar. Different people have told me different things, so I'm just confused ; o ) :scared:

We visited the Lemon Market on our last trip, and have been told that it will close soon as the land has been sold for more housing. Is this true, does anyone know?

If anyone has any information/ideas/comments about living around the Guardamar area, I would love to hear. We ejoy cycling, badminton, walking and can't wait to have enough leisure time to actually do some of them!

Thanks for your info.

Regards.

Spanishgirl

I advise against buying your computer in the UK then bringing it over. Get it here - it's cheaper I believe anyway. You can get a local techy to sort out your programs in English and you can configure the computer to English anyway. If you prefer, bring an English keyboard with you (around 10 €) as some keys are different - but I find it easier using the Spanish one as it gives me more flexibility. Things like ñ are at your finger tips as are the upside down punctuation - ¡¡¡ ¿¿¿.
Bryan G. Singer is offline  
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 11:17 am
  #15  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 3,254
Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What to bring to Spain from the UK - Help please!!!

Hi Countryboy,

I did say there would probably be more questions, so here goes. We move to Spain in December and wont have the aircon/heating system in at first. I was wondering if our heaters from the uk would work. We have an oil filled electric heater and an electric heater that blows warm air (small radiator size). If they will work over in Spain, will they cost a fortune to run.

Thanks Sam
Pam Sarky is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.