Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What to bring to Spain from the UK - Help please!!!

What to bring to Spain from the UK - Help please!!!

Old Oct 12th 2005, 6:28 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to bring to Spain from the UK - Help please!!!

Originally Posted by scriv
No jdr its for olduns like me whose eyes are giving way. Nice post by the way made me laugh. lol

John
No its gone.... it was just above my post about the big keyboard in huge letters
Old Oct 12th 2005, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

scriv is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
No its gone.... it was just above my post about the big keyboard in huge letters
Your cracking up jdr, now go to bed its far too late for a 62 year old
Old Oct 13th 2005, 10:55 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scriv
Your cracking up jdr, now go to bed its far too late for a 62 year old
I was out really late, had to pick friends up at airport 23.40 and flight was over an hour late......
Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:59 pm
tommy casa

Tommycasa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sam parky
Hi Countryboy,

I did say there would probably be more questions, so here goes. We move to Spain in December and wont have the aircon/heating system in at first. I was wondering if our heaters from the uk would work. We have an oil filled electric heater and an electric heater that blows warm air (small radiator size). If they will work over in Spain, will they cost a fortune to run.

Thanks Sam
Hi sam i am new to this site but i have lived in Spain for some time and its great , as for heating your home i can speak from experience and say that the electric heaters are good but the electric is quite dear and there is another problem that on your electric supply isn't like the UK as you can plug as many things as you want in, you wont be able to do that in Spain you have to ask the electric company to up grade you to the max allowed there will have to make a one of payment then you will pay extra per mth just to have the privilege i am afraid.

I would recommend you bring only 1 heater and leave the rest behind!! the best way to heat and the cheapest is Gas heaters the bottles are about 9euros and last quite well and you can pick them up from all petrol stations.

Well i hope i have been of some help Tommy casa.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:36 pm
tommy casa

Tommycasa is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear all

Hi i am new to this great site, and i have read trough this and i find it quite interesting that there are a great number of you somewhat green!! This is quite understandable as some of you haven't lived in Spain yet.

You are somewhat being protected by your estate agent and Lawyers some of you unfortunately are going to learn some hard lessons! has we all do i am afraid.

When we move to Spain , you have to remember that its another country and things do operate differently i would quote trust no one especially the most of the English who work there, they have learnt there lessons and some of them costly and they have to get there money back somehow because the world we live in today its dog eat dog and in Spain i have come across many dogs with big teeth, So be very carefully.

Also the Spanish who have learnt English who are in someway offering a service to you often learn it for a reason and just because they speak English you want to be there friend and trust more, Dont is my decision and i have learnt the hard way .

Also you know the Lawyers ask you to sign your power to them to sign a contract for you as you cannot be there !!! well what most of them dont tell you is that when you sign that over to them what it actually means is They can sign what they want on your behalf and i mean everything until you revoke it, so what i propose is if you have to get them to sign something and you give them the power always revoke it, soon after as this could cost you Later.

I can write these things as i have lived in Spain for many years and have seen many bad things i dont want to depress you, but i just want to make you aware.

Just because you live or buying a property in Spain dont turn your Brain of.

Many Thanks

Tommy Casa

Originally Posted by spanishgirl
Hi everyone.

This is my first message in a while. We have moved houses in the UK, and are now living temporarily in rented accommodation until our move to Guardamar next July (ish!).

We have sold some of our furniture, had a car boot sale to get rid of other surplus stuff, and are still left with lots and lots of things. We know we won't be taking all of this to Spain, but what things should we bring?

We have a good quality sofa bed which we will be bringing with us. Apart from that, and our personal stuff, we are not sure. I am thinking of buying a lap top computer here in the UK to bring over. Would that be ok and work ok in Spain please?

What about electrical goods? Our TV is new, so that will be coming with us. We have been told that our Video and DVD won't work in Spain, so will be buying new when we get there. Would we be better buying small kitchen appliances over there? (eg kettles, toasters, etc).

We are coming over to Spain in November for a few days, so will be able to have a look around the shops at goods etc, but I know that you give out good information on this site, so would be grateful for your help.

There is probably lots of information we need to find out, so watch this space!!.

Any other tips would be gratefully received.

Regards

Spanishgirl
Old Oct 15th 2005, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

Well Said TC!

Best
Loco

Originally Posted by Tommycasa
Just because you live or buying a property in Spain dont turn your Brain of.

Many Thanks

Tommy Casa