Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What to bring to Spain from the UK - Help please!!!

What to bring to Spain from the UK - Help please!!!

Old Oct 5th 2005, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future
Default Re: What to bring to Spain from the UK - Help please!!!

Hi Spanish Girl,
i spent weeks trying to find a removals company. Finally found one and it cost us 500 pounds (750 euros) to bring over clothes, books and a few other bits and bobs like heaters and fans that we had.

When it finally got delivered to us in spain...i thought I have just spent all this money on this stuff and dont even really need it. For 750 euros I could have bought all nice new stuff when I got here.... make sure its worth bring all your stuff with you.

We bought our first pc here....incase there were probs at least we could go straight back to the shop and sort out the problem. Then bought another over the internet from Dell

Bringing over all uk appliances you end up with extension leads and adapters everywhere.

If I did it again...Id save the money and spend it on all new things when I got here!

Jo
Old Oct 5th 2005, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

spanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nice

Hi Jo

Useful info, thanks!

I'm going through our stuff, and finding it hard to throw things away. Its stupid really, as lots of it has been in boxes for a while!

We've got to let go, I know. I'm sure its lovely to start again with new things, and I take your point of it costing you money to move it over.

We've talked about having a big car boot sale next year with things our children don't want, then letting the rest go to the charity shops.

Did you find it hard letting go of all your memories etc? I know we've got to do this, and we are both looking forward to next year immensely. We just need to take a deep breath and get on with it! The move to our rented property was bad enough with all the stuff we moved, there's no way we could (or would want to) move it to Spain.

If you have any more tips, please keep them coming. Its great getting info from people who have made the move.

Are you enjoying your life in Spain? Did it take you time to adapt? Did you settle easily? I love to hear from people already in Spain.

Regards.

Spanishgirl

Originally Posted by j0197
Hi Spanish Girl,
i spent weeks trying to find a removals company. Finally found one and it cost us 500 pounds (750 euros) to bring over clothes, books and a few other bits and bobs like heaters and fans that we had.

When it finally got delivered to us in spain...i thought I have just spent all this money on this stuff and dont even really need it. For 750 euros I could have bought all nice new stuff when I got here.... make sure its worth bring all your stuff with you.

We bought our first pc here....incase there were probs at least we could go straight back to the shop and sort out the problem. Then bought another over the internet from Dell

Bringing over all uk appliances you end up with extension leads and adapters everywhere.

If I did it again...Id save the money and spend it on all new things when I got here!

Jo
Old Oct 5th 2005, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

svenskidoo is an unknown quantity at this point

We brought over a lot of stuff then wished we hadn't.

Anything that is of personal value then keep, anything else is just 'stuff' at the end of the day. Sell it or bin it?.....or pack it

Furniture and expensive electrical items... we found things weren't necessarily cheaper in Spain and there wasn't the choice you'd get in the UK.

Furniture is wierd here, what you'd find in MFI 5-10 years ago is really expensive here in some places.

Oh and when you move, pack an Argos catalogue for those winter nights and think about the three hundred colours you could buy an electric kettle in, back in the UK.

Old Oct 6th 2005, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

spanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nice
Smile Re: What to bring to Spain from the UK - Help please!!!

Hi svenskidoo

Thanks for your reply. Its great having all this info. Certainly makes you think! I've got the weekend now to begin sorting out stuff. I'm in the right frame of mind now, I think.

What happens in winter in Spain? Does everyone disappear inside for the colder weather. (How cold does it get?). I think I'll bring a new electric kettle from the UK. Couldn't cope without my cuppa first thing in the morning ; 0 (

We've got a good quality sofa bed that we are bringing over, plus other items. Its just all the other 'stuff' as you call it. But you are right, its only stuff. We can start again when we get to Spain!

Regards.

Spanishgirl

Originally Posted by svenskidoo
We brought over a lot of stuff then wished we hadn't.

Anything that is of personal value then keep, anything else is just 'stuff' at the end of the day. Sell it or bin it?.....or pack it

Furniture and expensive electrical items... we found things weren't necessarily cheaper in Spain and there wasn't the choice you'd get in the UK.

Furniture is wierd here, what you'd find in MFI 5-10 years ago is really expensive here in some places.

Oh and when you move, pack an Argos catalogue for those winter nights and think about the three hundred colours you could buy an electric kettle in, back in the UK.

Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Originally Posted by spanishgirl
Hi svenskidoo

Thanks for your reply. Its great having all this info. Certainly makes you think! I've got the weekend now to begin sorting out stuff. I'm in the right frame of mind now, I think.

What happens in winter in Spain? Does everyone disappear inside for the colder weather. (How cold does it get?). I think I'll bring a new electric kettle from the UK. Couldn't cope without my cuppa first thing in the morning ; 0 (

We've got a good quality sofa bed that we are bringing over, plus other items. Its just all the other 'stuff' as you call it. But you are right, its only stuff. We can start again when we get to Spain!

Regards.

Spanishgirl
The kettle situation has improved. When we arrived 5 years ago, having left the kettle in London as minimal furnishing for my visits there, we could only find a couple in the whole town near where we were and they only held a litre of water. There are more electrodomesticos warehouses around now, with a greater selection.

Because we were keeping the London house for my visits and lodgers, we left some stuff like white goods, VCR and TV, but still use a lot of the things we did bring over like PCs and hi-fi. We didn't have time to sort much out, either, so we still have boxes of unsorted books and oddments that were packed up when we moved in together 8 or 9 years ago, even after 2 boot sales. Despite big clearouts of half-useful-one-day junk, we still have large amounts of other potentially-useful stuff. They don't seem to go in for boot sales around here at all, so it's probably more difficult to get rid of things with a financial gain than it would be in the UK.

Clear out what you can; be as ruthless as you can; be realistic about what is ever going to be used; be prepared to sell as much as possible.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

the boudiers has a brilliant futurethe boudiers has a brilliant futurethe boudiers has a brilliant futurethe boudiers has a brilliant futurethe boudiers has a brilliant futurethe boudiers has a brilliant futurethe boudiers has a brilliant future

I have to agree with the kettle Also another thing i have found is you can only get a 2 slice toaster,but if you can get a bigger one i stand corrected!!WIth 4 kids a 2 slice one just doesnt go quick enough!By the time i have done everybodies toast i dont want any myself!!I am fed uo with looking at it!
Old Oct 10th 2005, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

I agree we have been here for two years now, most of the stuff I cleared out I sold on Ebay, but I wanted my personal things like my sofa and bed etc, we bought our white goods, I agree with Boudier it is hard to find a four slice toaster, only two of us but bigger would have been better.
It really is down to you and what you would like to keep but do have a good clear out. I wish you luck and happiness in your new home
Old Oct 11th 2005, 2:20 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

It basicaly depends on...... do you want a new start in Spain the Spanish way or do you want to move your UK existance into a new country ?
I would say get rid of most of it and buy Spanish furniture for a Spanish house and way of life.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

To some extent I agree, but bringing my furniture with me was what I wanted, re, living the Spanish life, that is exactly what I am doing, all our neighbours are Spanish, all are teaching me the language, (as well as going to the free class's) we are not on the CDS etc, so no back up from other expats, I think I was entitled to bring my belongings from UK.
My house is very Spanish, bought from an old couple and we have kept it that way. But put our touch to it.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 5:58 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey....... you must have a big keyboard
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:18 am
Just Joined

scriv is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Crikey....... you must have a big keyboard

No jdr its for olduns like me whose eyes are giving way. Nice post by the way made me laugh. lol

John
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:03 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by scriv
No jdr its for olduns like me whose eyes are giving way. Nice post by the way made me laugh. lol

John
Its dissapeared, or have my eyes gone too

PS i am 62
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

scriv is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr

PS i am 62
No its still there whats the matter with your eyes, I thought mine were bad.
Should have gone to specsavers.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 5:17 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr

PS i am 62
Don't really know why but I always had this mental image of a 30 something....
Old Oct 12th 2005, 6:19 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by ironporer
Don't really know why but I always had this mental image of a 30 something....
Cor I wish

Whoops I just posted in the holier than thou Ayamonte thread and upset somebody, I wouldn`t mind but they aint even expats

Last edited by jdr; Oct 12th 2005 at 6:25 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.