Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Web sites, buying and hosting.

Web sites, buying and hosting.

Old Aug 15th 2007, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Web sites, buying and hosting.

Originally Posted by sjrw
sound like you could be someone else's bread and butter if you believe the hype from these.

Hack me!
(Then let me know)

Some people need the security of having someone else host for them. Some people are not confident about writing pages for the internet. Some people are just lazy. Fine. But for those who don't mind having a go (if it's not a bread and butter/survival website) then do it yourself. The only really tacky part of my temporary one at the moment is the dropdown. I hate them, but they are quick and easy and they work. You can learn a lot. I have used various programs, with plain html, javascript, etc... and cms with php/mysql and they all work after tweaking. If you see something on another site, copy it.

I use Apache, mysql and php inaddition to the standard html etc.

I find it a little insulting and offensive that someone who doesn't know me laughs and belittles publicly in order maybe to get another customer. If that is how you treat strangers how do you treat those whose money you take.
are you talking to me, I didnt know I had done this, Im not taking anyone away from anyone, every time I reply to a computer type post I get flamed, I shall not bother any more,

I certainly did not mean to be insulting or offensive, I didnt reply back because I did not see you edited it.

Help !!!
Old Aug 15th 2007, 5:20 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoJohn
haha. If you were any more laid back you would be falling over.
Bugger, I do try!
Old Aug 15th 2007, 5:59 pm
Click my Signature

sjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Bugger, I do try!
I think I had better rename myself devils advocate...
I hope I have not upset poor andy...
Or (if you're one of those hosting chappies) not-so-poor andy.

Still, it's made for an interesting thread, and there are quite a few ideas floating around here now.

Hosters are a double edged sword. A necessary evil. I just like to see what I have done, on my own pc (as I used to share a lot) and the fact that it saves a bit is a bonus.

Highly strung....??
Well, yes dahling, we artistically temperamented peoples need a release.

I think I need to apologise to Andy here. Just call me misunderstood, passed by and manic. Oh give me a reflex to do - it relaxes both participants.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sjrw
I think I had better rename myself devils advocate...
I hope I have not upset poor andy...
Or (if you're one of those hosting chappies) not-so-poor andy.

Still, it's made for an interesting thread, and there are quite a few ideas floating around here now.

Hosters are a double edged sword. A necessary evil. I just like to see what I have done, on my own pc (as I used to share a lot) and the fact that it saves a bit is a bonus.

Highly strung....??
Well, yes dahling, we artistically temperamented peoples need a release.

I think I need to apologise to Andy here. Just call me misunderstood, passed by and manic. Oh give me a reflex to do - it relaxes both participants.
no worries its fine, lol, the hosting run's at a small loss, but at least Now I see where your coming from. I not commited enough to push it, could do with some re-sellers really to throw it in the open.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 11:35 am
No es moco de pavo

Elle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigbhudda69
Found it have a look at this and see if it is of any use, you can always pm her. Here good luck..BB
Hi guys... and thanks for the plug Bigbhudda (We'll still give you a discount if you want your site designed lol... I did promise, if I remember rightly!)

We can sort your hosting out for you Aspeangel. We use a really reliable company. Forget the days of downtime etc... The one we use has been great so far. We don't host it ourselves, as we've found these guys more than cost effective, secure, and reliable.

We've actually never bothered buyig a .es on behalf of a client, or for ourleves. So cannot advise on whether you have to be a registered business or not. We'd recommend going down the .eu route, or preferably .com anyway. Google is quite pedantic when it comes to geographic location - they call it "tailoring to your needs". Yeah right... but if you have a business that needs an international reach - then you want to be featured on an international search result... and the .com will help that somewhat. Of course you still need to have decent content, metatags, and all the other stuff that bumps you up the ranks, as others have mentioned. If you have a real niche - then you'll generally get up there anyway. But if I had a euro for every client who has a "holiday" company and wants to be number 1 in Google... well, I'd be sipping wine in the sunshine all day instead of working. They forget they're competing with the likes of Thomas Cook, Expedia, and the rest!

Yes, so do drop me a PM if interested Aspeangel.

Elle xx

PS: Sorry I've been noticeable by my absence guys and gals - business is booming, as the saying goes, and I've been neglecting you all. I must pop in more often!

Can't believe we're just coming up for our first anniversary in the Canaries - time flies eh?!
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:36 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the advice given in this thread (though I'm sure well intentioned) is totally incorrect.

.es domains can be bought by anybody.....the regulations that prevented them being sold to non Spanish reg business was abolished TWO YEARS AGO!

I have a number of clients running on these domains because their market is Spanish based. However, If your market is UK based then go for a .co.uk. if possible.

And if you want to buy a .es just go to EuroDNS and you'll own one in five minutes.

Sorted in 30 seconds!
Old Aug 16th 2007, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by XTreme
Some of the advice given in this thread (though I'm sure well intentioned) is totally incorrect.

.es domains can be bought by anybody.....the regulations that prevented them being sold to non Spanish reg business was abolished TWO YEARS AGO!

And if you want to buy a .es just go to EuroDNS and you'll own one in five minutes.

Sorted in 30 seconds!
Many Thanks for that! I was unaware that the rules had changed. And as you said, sorted in 30 seconds!
Regards
Tim
Old Oct 25th 2007, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

barcapat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I've been registering quite a lot of domains lately, so thought I'd share my experiences.

For both .com and .co.uk domain names (plus many other non country specific domains .net etc) I found the strangely-named but very professional GoDaddy.com to be the best place. .com for $7 a year and .co.uk for $17.98 a year - as far as I could tell, easily the best prices and still a good service, with full controls over DNS etc.

Then the last few days, I've been looking into registering .es names. It seems currently you can only register .es domain names with a Spanish provider. After a bit of Googling, I found piensasolutions.com where you can get your .es names for 7 Euros a year, plus IVA, so 7.12 Euros a year. This also includes domain parking and a control panel for DNS etc. In comparison to other offers, this was much cheaper. I registered 3 domains and all were done within an hour, and I checked the domain parking and it works fine. All good so far. Other suppliers want around 25-35 Euros per domain.

I'm not sure on the legal restrictions for registering a .es name but they do ask for an NIE as a required field, but no restrictions as to business names/company names/autonomo etc. That would be totally against the idea of the internet.

And one last word on web hosting, I found a great site called siteground.com who are excellent if your needs a bit more than a homepage. Their deal is $84 a year, including domain name, plus unlimited sub-domains, emails accounts, crazy amount of diskspace and traffic. Also they have really simple install scripts for things like Joomla, Mambo, Drupal, Wordpress etc. I managed to get a Joomla 1.5 install up and running in 2 hours with their tutorials.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

eric4u is an unknown quantity at this point

How about getting a eu site I have thought about this myself
Old Oct 26th 2007, 7:19 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caravanning4u
How about getting a eu site I have thought about this myself
yes, I have one
Old Oct 26th 2007, 11:47 am
Just Joined

barcapat is an unknown quantity at this point

.eu domains are available from piensasolutions.com for 7 Euros a year too (I'm not connected with them in anyway, just they have the best prices I've found)

I think the only rule to have a .eu domain name is that the registered address is in an EU country, although maybe they don't even bother with that anymore.