Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Xativa or Canals?

Xativa or Canals?

Old Oct 25th 2007, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Justlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud of
Default Xativa or Canals?

I hope anyone in these areas sees this thread and replies.

Please see my thread Coast to Coast

I have seen what appear to be very good buys in these areas but how much do you trust agents websites. The trouble is the best sites for photo's and info appear to be British owned and I do not want to pay more for the pleasure of dealing with a Brit. The Spanish agents appear to have little idea of what sells a property (please treat these statements as generalisms - I am sure there are many exceptions)

These areas may not be right for us in view of our need to consider the mobility of others. We would just love to hae some idea from someone who knows the areas. We need
a) Flat area
b) Good medical facilities
c) Spanish neighbours
d) Reasonable bus services
e) 3/4 bedrooms and 2 bethrooms in 500 to 1,000 sq m plot
f) Electric, water telephone connection - would love solar electric but not as sole manner of getting electric
g) A pool (perhaps but not essential)

This appears to be possible at least according to one or two agents for about 220,000 euro (save for a,b,c and d which is why I am posting this thread.

Anyone who has answered my Coast to Coast posting - thanks for your replies so far.

p.s. why are the agents photo's always out of focus?
p.p.s why advertise a property and only show outside views and surrounding scenery? I think I know but what is the point, the punter is going to think/find out it is a wreck and will henceforth avoid the agent like the plague
Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

jimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nice
Default Re: Xativa or Canals?

Hi ,
Things to be aware of is that some EA's put a % on top of the asking price shown on their sites, so it would pay to ask them if that's the case. Make sure there are no urbanization costs if you are looking at properties without pavements, street lights etc. We are looking in a similar area to you, but have now decided to rent just to make sure we are happy.
Have a look at practicalspain web site as there is a mention of health care in the Gandia area.
J.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

hi justlookin

Personally I would say agents are agents whether they are Spanish or Brits there are always good and bad

There are hundreds of agents all selling the same properties and % commission varies so shop around, you can usually find the same properties on with at least 5 agents. Kyero.com is a good place as a lot of agents use it to list their properties (so you may find the same house at different prices)

As has been said time and time again, best advice is to rent before you buy - once you live here you can take your time and find the area thats right for you - you can also spend time investigating areas rather than just going on what the agent says

and always, always ALWAYS - use and independent solicitor - NOT one thats recommended by the agent

re health care - I can not fault the treatment I have had since living here - hospital in Gandia is old but they are currently building a new. There is a hospital in Xativa but cant comment on that as Ive not been there
Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:36 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Justlookin

Xativa is built on a hill and a distance from the coast.

Outside photo's may simply indicate that when they went to take the photo's no-one was home. This happens in UK too.

Rosemary
Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Justlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jimmbo
Hi ,
Things to be aware of is that some EA's put a % on top of the asking price shown on their sites, so it would pay to ask them if that's the case. Make sure there are no urbanization costs if you are looking at properties without pavements, street lights etc. We are looking in a similar area to you, but have now decided to rent just to make sure we are happy.
Have a look at practicalspain web site as there is a mention of health care in the Gandia area.
J.
Many thanks

We are going to rent first but just want to cut out travelling to places just unsuited to our needs.
I have visited practicalspain site
My view is that it is a buyers market at the moment. Many properties in Spain generally have been stuck on the market for at least 9 months to a year. Estate Agents around Alicante are supposedly closing down by the minute and a major developer in serious financial trouble.
We will be visiting a few times before we make our minds up even whether to rent as we want to do our best to get it right (or as near it as we can)
We have lived abroad before for 2 years (working) in a country with far more problems for Brits than Spain and only about a dozen expats to be seen (fine by us) so we do not have a rosy eyed view of what living abroad can be like.
All the best in your own search
Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Hi Justlookin

Xativa is built on a hill and a distance from the coast.

Outside photo's may simply indicate that when they went to take the photo's no-one was home. This happens in UK too.

Rosemary
I cannot say I have come across it in England.

Call me a cynic but I believe it is because they know that a lot of people would go no further than look at the picture of the bike in the lounge. Kitchen from the 30's, hallway shaped lounge and very interesting bathroom.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spain
hi justlookin

Personally I would say agents are agents whether they are Spanish or Brits there are always good and bad

There are hundreds of agents all selling the same properties and % commission varies so shop around, you can usually find the same properties on with at least 5 agents. Kyero.com is a good place as a lot of agents use it to list their properties (so you may find the same house at different prices)

As has been said time and time again, best advice is to rent before you buy - once you live here you can take your time and find the area thats right for you - you can also spend time investigating areas rather than just going on what the agent says

and always, always ALWAYS - use and independent solicitor - NOT one thats recommended by the agent

re health care - I can not fault the treatment I have had since living here - hospital in Gandia is old but they are currently building a new. There is a hospital in Xativa but cant comment on that as Ive not been there
I agree entirely about estate agents. I just think that English Agents in England are more market-minded. The competition is more uniform which from my travels on the web looking at Spanish agents sites is far from the case.

I have looked at Kyero and find them to be pretty good but for example find Thinkspain infuriating - just not enough photo's or info. As for Gandia a place I am also interested in - I have found it very difficult to find good sites with much property on them.

I will rent first (unless some absolutely unbelievable bargain appears-like a flying elephant or Rugbymatt not saying a word for say a week)

As for the solicitors, I have a confession, I am ... I do not know whether it was another post of yours I saw but I was not surprised at what you said.

Over the past year, whilst primarily looking at El Puerto I have done a fair bit of research into the Spanish property market. Visited El Puerto and region on 6 occasions all at different months etc and stayed in different districts before having to admit on our budget it appears to make more sense to transfer our search east. I did a search for the same type of property on Kyero in the two areas - they came up with 2 in Cadiz province and 47 in Valencia
Old Oct 25th 2007, 1:27 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justlookin
I will rent first (unless some absolutely unbelievable bargain appears-like a flying elephant or Rugbymatt not saying a word for say a week)
Not sure whether this is wishful thinking, living in cloud cuckoo land, asking for a miracle to be performed or proving that you earn a living by making people laugh. Which ever one it is I think that it will only happen when hell freezes over.

Rosemary
Old Oct 25th 2007, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Not sure whether this is wishful thinking, living in cloud cuckoo land, asking for a miracle to be performed or proving that you earn a living by making people laugh. Which ever one it is I think that it will only happen when hell freezes over.

Rosemary
Well I see you have been having some dreadful weather!

What's the betting on an intemperate climate rather than even a light frost (or even chilly response!!!)
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:10 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Well I see you have been having some dreadful weather!
What's the betting on an intemperate climate rather than even a light frost (or even chilly response!!!)
Why are you still interested in Xativa if Oddities say it is hilly, as I thought flat was one of your stiplulations

I did reply from Gandia on the other thread btw ...... I can see it laid out in front of me from my balcony and we spend a lot of time there
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Why are you still interested in Xativa if Oddities say it is hilly, as I thought flat was one of your stiplulations

I did reply from Gandia on the other thread btw ...... I can see it laid out in front of me from my balcony and we spend a lot of time there
Yes you are right about not wanting somewhere to hilly - still need to clear up the position with Canals tho.

Sorry about my comment on Gandia replies. You know how close you are and I have no real idea. As you will apreciate a few replies are often best sought as the answers on this site are often different because of the writers perspective. Yours was at the time the only answer and I knew Spain is a resident from his postings but could not send a message to him direct as I had only just become a member of the site.

I have read more of your postings than you may imagine. Very helpful
Old Oct 25th 2007, 3:55 pm
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of

hi, I live 10 mins from Xativa and personally I dont find it hilly, its a really lovely town, good market , great shops and great eating places, I really like it. As for Canals I have visited several times and i dont really like it, why,mmm, tooooo many english there, dont really like the scruffy town,sorry anybody that lives there but thats my opinion. pat
Old Oct 26th 2007, 1:26 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Re estate agents, you will find that the amount added by the agents varies from about 3% to a flat fee of around 20,000. Usually they ask the owner how much they want to receive, then add their amount on top. The worse we found when we were selling was 19,000 added after they quoted us 5%. 5% of the price we wanted would have been about 8,000, the justified the extra as 'bargaining money', we just told them to forget it, and to withdraw the property. Many of the properties that have been on the market a long time are just overpriced, and will never sell as the owners will NOT accept anything less. Plenty around here, but as they can't get the 20% per year value increase they were told they would get, then they are just not settleing for a realistic price. Houses are selling, but sellers have to be realistic.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Re estate agents, you will find that the amount added by the agents varies from about 3% to a flat fee of around 20,000. Usually they ask the owner how much they want to receive, then add their amount on top. The worse we found when we were selling was 19,000 added after they quoted us 5%. 5% of the price we wanted would have been about 8,000, the justified the extra as 'bargaining money', we just told them to forget it, and to withdraw the property. Many of the properties that have been on the market a long time are just overpriced, and will never sell as the owners will NOT accept anything less. Plenty around here, but as they can't get the 20% per year value increase they were told they would get, then they are just not settleing for a realistic price. Houses are selling, but sellers have to be realistic.
Thanks for this very relevant info. To an extent I was aware of what goes on but the figure you give are of interest.

Yes my own experience of looking around over the last year supports you entirely but I think even the Spanish have their unreasonable expectations, perhaps gained to an extent from looking at what their Brit neighbours are doing.

I will in all probability be long term renting at first in any event and on the face of it I think property prices will be forced down.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 1:44 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this very relevant info. To an extent I was aware of what goes on but the figure you give are of interest.

Yes my own experience of looking around over the last year supports you entirely but I think even the Spanish have their unreasonable expectations, perhaps gained to an extent from looking at what their Brit neighbours are doing.

I will in all probability be long term renting at first in any event and on the face of it I think property prices will be forced down.
The urbanisation I'm living on has a house currently for sale at 196,000. A house wiht the same number of bedrooms and bathrooms sold earlier this year for 170,000. The people currently selling are wondering why they aren't getting viewings etc.