weather

Old Feb 13th 2012, 7:12 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: weather

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
A lot of times I feel colder in the house than outside. This is due to the poor construction of these houses with no insulation at all. You think that the govt tries to conserve energy by introducing solar & yet they allow builders to build such poor quality houses with NO insulation.

The weather in this part of Spain is cold enough to need good insulation houses to conserve energy.
You cannot build a house without insulation any more.

The Spanish building regulation specify thermal insulation in all houses and have done so for the last 10 years. Our house has cavity walls with 4" of foam plus an air gap. The roof is also insulated.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 7:36 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James

The Spanish building regulation specify thermal insulation in all houses and have done so for the last 10 years. Our house has cavity walls with 4" of foam plus an air gap. The roof is also insulated.
We have just had a new flat roof terrace put in and the builder put the thick insulation pads down first so I presume that even remedial work is affected by this law.

Rosemary
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, based on average temperatures in Spain this week, its been colder in Spain than the UK!

It was -7c in the city of Granada in the daytime. A big chunk of inland has been between -10 to -20c at night.

Every winter there is a lot more snow in Spain than there is in the UK

Just goes to show that the Brits live in a tiny part of Spain that is sheltered by the Coasts
Old Feb 13th 2012, 11:00 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

living in Northern Granada Province, 20k N of the city.

its b****y Frio here at the moment,
nights to -4
days to be lucky to reach +15
but the UK will be lucky to get a 5 degree change night/day.

definitely not enough to warm a Spanish house filled with marble and ceramic wall & floor tiles. Even cold on the terrace in the sun at this moment.

Don't know about Fred's insulation, it doesnt feel as if any generated heat is being retained, just goes straight out of the walls and windows.
And very few Spanish houses have any form of heating so the electricity bill goes up and up, along with the weekly visit to replace the butane bottle.

look forward to the +45 we had out here last summer...............
Old Feb 13th 2012, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Actually, based on average temperatures in Spain this week, its been colder in Spain than the UK!

It was -7c in the city of Granada in the daytime. A big chunk of inland has been between -10 to -20c at night.

Every winter there is a lot more snow in Spain than there is in the UK

Just goes to show that the Brits live in a tiny part of Spain that is sheltered by the Coasts
OMG, please don't make me feel any worse! We're going to Granada tomorrow for a couple of days (for San Valentin) and I'm looking out my warmest clothes to take. I don't think I will look the part for a romantic dinner muffled up in a fleece and scarf!
Old Feb 13th 2012, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
living in Northern Granada Province, 20k N of the city.

its b****y Frio here at the moment,
nights to -4
days to be lucky to reach +15
but the UK will be lucky to get a 5 degree change night/day.

definitely not enough to warm a Spanish house filled with marble and ceramic wall & floor tiles. Even cold on the terrace in the sun at this moment.

Don't know about Fred's insulation, it doesnt feel as if any generated heat is being retained, just goes straight out of the walls and windows.
And very few Spanish houses have any form of heating so the electricity bill goes up and up, along with the weekly visit to replace the butane bottle.

look forward to the +45 we had out here last summer...............
Maybe you should say Andalucian or Granadan houses dont have heating or insulation.

Those I've stayed in, in the North of Spain during winter are perfectly warm and insulated

The ones down in the South and on the Med Coast are freezing though!
Old Feb 13th 2012, 11:31 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

In the CB North ...... and this morning my Swimming Pool was frozen
Old Feb 13th 2012, 11:45 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
In the CB North ...... and this morning my Swimming Pool was frozen
now that is the downside of living the dream

last Saturday my UK home town was -13.5c
Old Feb 13th 2012, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James

Ummmmmmmmmmm well that is another regulation that has been ignored.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
It's been cold inside the house here too today, unusually we had the air-con running on heat all afternoon.
The sun has been shining and if you could find a spot out of the bitterly cold north east wind it was quite pleasant, but that wind is biting!

At the moment it's the tiled floors that feel the worst, I must get some sheepskin lined slippers for next winter as the cold is coming right through the ones I'm wearing.....but only a few weeks to go and it's going to be much warmer!

I miss Bil too, I wish they would let him come back
What has happened to Bil?
Old Feb 13th 2012, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
What has happened to Bil?
He got banned.....permanently!
Old Feb 13th 2012, 4:49 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Ummmmmmmmmmm well that is another regulation that has been ignored.
If you build a "legal" house it is impossible to ignore it and it has to be incorporated into the building project and costed into it so there is little point in not doing it.

People do not seem to realise how the regs have changed since the 90's.

When we built our house we had to supply concrete and steel samples for each stage of the build which were tested (at great expense) to ensure that the specification had been met.

Independent consulting engineers were involved all through the process and this was essential to get the mandatory 10 years garuantee on the house (again at great expense).

Then there was the mandatory geological survey with core samples drilled all over the site and of course the seismic risk analysis - I could go on!
Old Feb 13th 2012, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by megmet
He got banned.....permanently!
Why?
Old Feb 13th 2012, 5:16 pm

Why?
He was banned for breaking the site rules.

Please can we leave it that - this is not the place to discuss moderator actions.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Why?
I guess for being Bil...
I was in UK at the time so didn't see what went on...you can find him on Facebook.

I'm freezing sat here, off to sit in front of the fire for a while, I'll be happy when I'm saying once again that it's too hot!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.