Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

we want to move to alicante but can't decide where

we want to move to alicante but can't decide where

Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:24 am
Just Joined

golfjean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: we want to move to alicante but can't decide where

I am relocating to Spain in the next few months as soon as i have sold up here in Perth Australia. I am checking the areas on the Costa Blanca, I will rent for a few months which will give me time to check out the areas,,,I am looking on the net , but of course actually seeing somewhere can be totally different. I would appreciate any suggestions re areas. I am retired and a bit of a golf nut, i dont want somewhere that is deserted in the winter , but not crazy in the summer either... so any ideas will be greatly appreciated...Ciao Jean
Old Aug 8th 2009, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

jimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nice

Welcome to the forum golfjean,
The Costa Blanca is a very large area indeed.

Lets say you land at Alicante Airport, head north along the coast in that old hire car, don't be in any hurry, stop as often as you can, have a coffee, walk around, when you find an area you are comfortable with, stay around for a few days. When you reach Gandia (an area we like) head inland and travel south say to the city of Murcia, then to the coast at lovely Cartagena, then the coast route to Alicante.
I suppose it will depend if you want green Spain or not.

Don't know if there is any truth in this, on asking one house seller why they were selling, they said that their hobby is golf but it's getting too expensive.
Have you checked out the fees?

We hired a private taxi for a few days, expensive, yes, but it's hassle free and you get to see more, made a note of where to spend more time. GPS would have helped at the time.

Sounds like you need to look at Oliva a working town, good golf and beaches.

Good luck in your search.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 6:25 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Of it depends on your personalities, goals, ability to make new friends, money, savings, language.... etc.

If it helps here in Hondon Valley (30 minutes inland from Alicante Airport) there are quite a few couples where the husband works away off-shore or abroad elsewhere, say 4 weeks on/4 weeks off

- if you want instant friends and neighbours then an urbanisation may be best where you'll get loads of support. And there are enough ex-pat kids at the local schools in Nieves or Frailes. So they've done it and so they'll be loads of help / support from other mums / dads.

Housing is generally cheaper (well you get more space/ land for your money inland). Try searching Google for 'Hondon Valley' there's quite a bit if info on the place now. The roads are good around here so it's dead easy to discover the Costa Blanca by car.

But maybe you want nearer the coast / beach for the children and more entertainment / facilities ?

It's not easy deciding where to start - but as someone else says, you goota get here and have a look and talk to as many people as possible... My main advice would to rent for at least 6 / 12 months somewhere to get a real feel that is it for you before you buy anything.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

leckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant future

Hi,

Im one of those that more or less chose my location based on internet research and this forum. We were originally going to go to Aspe and nearly signed up then we found the ideal rental through this forum and signed up.

I also work offshore and moved out there [at work right now] last week. Was a bit worried about my OH coping, not knowing anyone, DRIVING!, getting the NIE and padron, registering for schools, etc etc. But its going relatively smoothly and we LOVE the place and it is trully stunning. So far I dont think I could have made a better choice but true it is early days.

I agree with most of the advice on here re coming out first for a look see. But I also can relate to you chompin at the bit to get out as my OH was exactly the same. In fact we just upped sticks locked up our uk house and left all in 3 weeks ..

Why Alicante? It is strange but all the expat guys I work with all live in the Alicante region as well.. go figure!

Was just explaining to my workmates today how I was cycling through the valley vineyards with the kids the day before I left.. heaven on earth

Good luck!

leckytech
Old Aug 9th 2009, 4:54 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by golfjean
I am relocating to Spain in the next few months as soon as i have sold up here in Perth Australia. I am checking the areas on the Costa Blanca, I will rent for a few months which will give me time to check out the areas,,,I am looking on the net , but of course actually seeing somewhere can be totally different. I would appreciate any suggestions re areas. I am retired and a bit of a golf nut, i dont want somewhere that is deserted in the winter , but not crazy in the summer either... so any ideas will be greatly appreciated...Ciao Jean
Sounds like the Southern Costa Blanca is the area for you - golf in the northern Costa Blanca is really expensive and there are very few courses but at least south of Alicante there are many clubs (I think at least five in the Torrevieja area) and I imagine this competition helps.

Mark
Old Aug 9th 2009, 4:57 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

To Tania26 who started this thread - one issue that maybe is worth pointing out is to be near an International school - even if you have no intention of going down this route (for now anyway).

The longer I have been in Spain the more I have witnessed firsthand people taking their children out of Spanish school and putting them into an International (English) school - and vice versa (usually down to finances).
Old Aug 9th 2009, 5:47 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GCM
To Tania26 who started this thread - one issue that maybe is worth pointing out is to be near an International school - even if you have no intention of going down this route (for now anyway).

The longer I have been in Spain the more I have witnessed firsthand people taking their children out of Spanish school and putting them into an International (English) school - and vice versa (usually down to finances).
I've witnessed the 'vice versa' mostly

& bouncing

spanish, International & back to spanish - soemtimes due to lack of finances, but just as often when people realise that the grass isn't always greener when you pay for it!
Old Aug 9th 2009, 8:26 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I've witnessed the 'vice versa' mostly

& bouncing

spanish, International & back to spanish - soemtimes due to lack of finances, but just as often when people realise that the grass isn't always greener when you pay for it!
Me too.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 9:27 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

The OP may want to try one of the many urbanisations around the Torrevieja and Orihuela Costa areas, where there is a social scene for expats with young children. It would make sense to rent for the first year and pick an urbanisation where the infrastructure is complete and the builders have long left, taking their cranes with them.

It would not make sense to buy at this stage, house prices are in free fall and there are plenty of rental opportunities. The Costa Blanca is blessed with many free online newspapers to do ample research. I know several people who live in those areas and work off-shore and a search of the local forums will reveal even more. Some of those forums are not as friendly and helpful as this one.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 1:32 am
Just Joined

golfjean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GCM
Sounds like the Southern Costa Blanca is the area for you - golf in the northern Costa Blanca is really expensive and there are very few courses but at least south of Alicante there are many clubs (I think at least five in the Torrevieja area) and I imagine this competition helps.

Mark
Thank you for the reply Mark,, Yes i agree, the South does seem to be the area for golf....
Old Aug 10th 2009, 5:50 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
The OP may want to try one of the many urbanisations around the Torrevieja and Orihuela Costa areas, where there is a social scene for expats with young children. It would make sense to rent for the first year and pick an urbanisation where the infrastructure is complete and the builders have long left, taking their cranes with them.

It would not make sense to buy at this stage, house prices are in free fall and there are plenty of rental opportunities. The Costa Blanca is blessed with many free online newspapers to do ample research. I know several people who live in those areas and work off-shore and a search of the local forums will reveal even more. Some of those forums are not as friendly and helpful as this one.
it's took us 5 years of moving around the same town to decide exactly where in the town we want to be

back where we started!!!
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:08 am
Just Joined

tania26 is an unknown quantity at this point

thankyou eeryone for your replies... they have helped.... my husband and i are now booked to go t alicante for a short visit in october, so we can visit areas and schools... we can't wait... again thankyou
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:28 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by tania26
thankyou eeryone for your replies... they have helped.... my husband and i are now booked to go t alicante for a short visit in october, so we can visit areas and schools... we can't wait... again thankyou
good plan - hire a car & do a lot of driving around