Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

we want to move to alicante but can't decide where

we want to move to alicante but can't decide where

Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:57 am
Just Joined

tania26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default we want to move to alicante but can't decide where

hi there anyone who reads this... i'm a newbie to discussions on forums.. so forgive me if i ramble....
Where do i start???
My name!!!! is tania i am married and have 2 children aged 2 and 3..
My husband and i have decided that with no committments in england anymore, [no morgage etc] and our boys young enough to move without unsettling them too much, the time is right for us to fulfil our drem of living in spain...

Employment isn't an issue as my husband works offshore on the oil riggs. our main priority is our children... they will need to go into nursery.. [i understand that leagally schooling in spain doesn't start till 6?] however i'd like them to go from as early as possible... so i'm after a little bit of advice on deciding on a place to live... i'd like schools, to be in walking distance..[not to bothered if there british or spanish as my boys are yound enough to adapt... i'd love them to be fluent in another language. i'd also love it if i could be near other expats... just so when my husband is at work i'm not onmy own and the opportunity for me to meet people and make friends is there.
we would need to be near an airport so my husband can commute relatively easy, maybe 30 -40 mins drive..??
We'd also be looking into long term rentals,, we settled our budget at around 600 euros?? is this possible.. looking at the internet sites it is, but in reality is it?

looking forward to getiting your replies and advice
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: we want to move to alicante but can't decide where

Why not check out all the other threads relating to moving to Alicante, but as I said to anther poster, Best way to find out where you want to be is go on holiday, get your passports out and visit the area you are looking at, travel around, go further afield and try other regions you may find somewhere else you prefer. Ones mans paradise is another mans hell, while your there talk to people and see what they have to say, by preparing now and doing lots of visiting you will be spared the shock of reality when you move.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:15 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

jays right.

Although we are pleased to try and help, anywhere we suggest might not suit you. The one and only way is to come here for a break and drive up and down the coast to see where you like. Once you find an area then start to concentrate on an urb or area you would like to live in.

We started in Altea and ended up in Oliva after viewing Altea, Moraira, Denia & Javea.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:21 am
Just Joined

thankyou for that jay... your right. and i aggree with needing to holiday over there 1st, just to give us an idea... it's just where my husband is very patient!!!! i am not... i like to get things moving quickly... and att he min we are unable to visit alicante until the end of the year... i was hoping to have decided on an area at least long before then.... my husband will now say.... 'i told you so''' lol but thank you for your time and your reply
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:23 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tania26
thankyou for that jay... your right. and i aggree with needing to holiday over there 1st, just to give us an idea... it's just where my husband is very patient!!!! i am not... i like to get things moving quickly... and att he min we are unable to visit alicante until the end of the year... i was hoping to have decided on an area at least long before then.... my husband will now say.... 'i told you so''' lol but thank you for your time and your reply
Im thinking the more time you take in researching, the more chance you have of making it a success. Dont rush into it, just take your time
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

Hello and welcome to the forum, Alicante seems to be very popular this week. I can't really help you on the area but I am sure someone on here can. The only way you can decide where you want to live is by visiting and renting properties to get a feel for the place. Good luck.

By the way, why Alicante?
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:24 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

if you want to be near Alicante Airport come for a hol near there & do a lot of driving around

if you want to be near Valencia Airport come for a hol near there & do a lot of driving around

if either will do come to Javea & do a lot of driving around!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

You may be in a hurry but taking it slower and preparing WILL save you time and money in the long run, with kids you have so much to think about because if you get it wrong for what ever reason, do not like the area, weather, people you can not just up sticks and move once they are in school. Take your time, visit the areas, visit schools, ask questions of locals and local expats and most of all be open minded to other areas.

Do not rush into anything waiting and you doing the research will be your best bet. We all have different opinions of where we prefer to live and the chances are they are not the same as your ideas
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Read the other very recent threads re settling in Alicante area.

If your hubby is on the rigs then income isnt so much of a problem - although the taxation issues may be (check another recent thread regarding this).

In your favour if you are renting then you are not locked into any permenant aggreement so if after a while you find somewhere you like better then you can move - and this wouldnt affect your childrens schooling as they are still very young.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sharon B
Hello and welcome to the forum, Alicante seems to be very popular this week. I can't really help you on the area but I am sure someone on here can. The only way you can decide where you want to live is by visiting and renting properties to get a feel for the place. Good luck.

By the way, why Alicante?
not sure why alicante.... alicante isn't really definite either... we just read a few different forums and it does seem to be one of the most popular choices for people wanting to leave sunny old england... we are open to other areas if you can suggest any?
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Im thinking the more time you take in researching, the more chance you have of making it a success. Dont rush into it, just take your time
have you been chatting to my husband..... lol. but i'm gonna have to do it.... grit my teeth and tell him on this occasion he 'is right' thankyou for getting back to me
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of

Have to agree with all this.

If you’re buying you absolutely must not rush into things although you might be tempted by a ‘dream’ property. Spanish property is now veeerrry slow to sell.

Paying the right money for it you’d have a problem moving on. If you were to pay over the odds you’d be stuck forever.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

not sure why alicante.... alicante isn't really definite either... we just read a few different forums and it does seem to be one of the most popular choices for people wanting to leave sunny old england... we are open to other areas if you can suggest any?
Rereading your first post I see that you want to be around expats for when your OH is away, so I can not really recommend here. But everyone on here is correct, when you actually visit Spain you may change your mind on your location when you see how diverse your options can be.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 12:27 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Kids can start school at 3.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:09 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Kids can start school at 3.
as long as there is room it's 2.5 around here

but because it's not obligatory it's not guaranteed

does that make sense

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.