Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Voipcheap and telephone equipment

Voipcheap and telephone equipment

Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voipcheap and telephone equipment

Originally Posted by voipjam
Linksys PAP2 would be a good option...
So I spent a good 3 hours yesterday trying to get this PAP2 to work with Voipcheap and ended up dismally failing. Doesn't appear that there is much to configure but I just couldn't get it to register with sip.voipcheap.co.uk.

I also signed up for a sipgate account and configured line 2 for that. Pretty much the same result with the status saying "unable to contact registration server" or something similar.

Scratch head for a while and try again tomorrow.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

geobat57 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bob_day
So I spent a good 3 hours yesterday trying to get this PAP2 to work with Voipcheap and ended up dismally failing. Doesn't appear that there is much to configure but I just couldn't get it to register with sip.voipcheap.co.uk.

I also signed up for a sipgate account and configured line 2 for that. Pretty much the same result with the status saying "unable to contact registration server" or something similar.

Scratch head for a while and try again tomorrow.
Hi, I have setup many of these PAP2, I use linksys box unlocked, plug the box into your modem type in the * number # supplied, a voice will give you ip address, type address into browser,go, then fill in form, if form info correct it works, only problem I find with these boxes is supply transformer runs too hot and stoppes working so I made my own, which does not get hot,only slightly warm, if you have linksys box, search for linksys pap2 setup info, which explains all, Geoff
Old Dec 24th 2008, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geobat57
Hi, I have setup many of these PAP2, I use linksys box unlocked, plug the box into your modem type in the * number # supplied, a voice will give you ip address, type address into browser,go, then fill in form, if form info correct it works, only problem I find with these boxes is supply transformer runs too hot and stoppes working so I made my own, which does not get hot,only slightly warm, if you have linksys box, search for linksys pap2 setup info, which explains all, Geoff
It is an unlocked Linksys PAP2. I filled in the needed details, that is SIP server and port, username, password and stun server for both voipcheap and sipgate on lines 1 and 2. Still can't connect to either logon server. Debug messages don't give any clue as to what's happening, or not as the case may be.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

It is an unlocked Linksys PAP2. I filled in the needed details, that is SIP server and port, username, password and stun server for both voipcheap and sipgate on lines 1 and 2. Still can't connect to either logon server. Debug messages don't give any clue as to what's happening, or not as the case may be.
Hi, all you fill in is

proxy=sip.voipcheap.com
display name=your voipcheap user name
user id=your voipcheap user name
password=your voipcheap password

that is all click save and you phone light 1 should come on your pap2.then setup your second line to voipcheap again or to another server,OK geoff
Old Dec 26th 2008, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

searcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nice

I have a friend with high movistar mobile bills from making and receiving uk calls while working. Can voip be used in any way to make this cheaper? he needs to keep his number as printed on all business ads. He has adsl at home in spain.
Old Dec 26th 2008, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Hi, all you fill in is

proxy=sip.voipcheap.com

that is all click save and you phone light 1 should come on your pap2.then setup your second line to voipcheap again or to another server,OK geoff
That's what I have and it doesn't come on... Same goes for sipgate, with the appropriate parameters for their service.
Old Dec 26th 2008, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by searcher48
I have a friend with high movistar mobile bills from making and receiving uk calls while working. Can voip be used in any way to make this cheaper? he needs to keep his number as printed on all business ads. He has adsl at home in spain.
Certainly shoul dbe able to cut call costs using a VOIP service. Vonage do say on their website that you can port existing numbers into their service. haven't tried to do this tho.
Old Dec 26th 2008, 10:18 am
Just Joined

That's what I have and it doesn't come on... Same goes for sipgate, with the appropriate parameters for their service.
hi, did you plug your phone into pap2 and on that phone dial **** 110 # and a voice telling you ip address, cause it needs ip connection thro router, type ip address into your address bar and go, geoff
Old Dec 26th 2008, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

hi, did you plug your phone into pap2 and on that phone dial **** 110 # and a voice telling you ip address, cause it needs ip connection thro router, type ip address into your address bar and go, geoff
Hi, It's been given an address by DHCP and I can connect to it's web interface to configure it. No problem there.

I've tried adding some inbound forwarding rules to my router as suggested in the PAP user guide. These make no difference still won't register. Didn't think they would as I also have a Vonage adaptor plugged into my router and that worked out of the box with no router or network changes.

Times like this I wish I had a hub instead of a switch and could take a look at the packets.
Old Dec 26th 2008, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, It's been given an address by DHCP and I can connect to it's web interface to configure it. No problem there.

I've tried adding some inbound forwarding rules to my router as suggested in the PAP user guide. These make no difference still won't register. Didn't think they would as I also have a Vonage adaptor plugged into my router and that worked out of the box with no router or network changes.

Times like this I wish I had a hub instead of a switch and could take a look at the packets.
I think it needs a fixed ip address!
Old Dec 26th 2008, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Peter Squires is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by searcher48
If he has a moviestar mobile, surely he would not pay for calls being received from the UK - are you sure you have writen this question correctly?

If he has ADSL in Spain and added VOIP then his calls back to the UK would be free.
Old Dec 26th 2008, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by valenciatim
I think it needs a fixed ip address!
Tried that, no difference :-(
Old Dec 26th 2008, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

when you do it this way ip address is fixed, all this other stuff you refer to seems to me you are making a lot of work out of a very, very simple job. geoff
Old Dec 26th 2008, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

when you do it this way ip address is fixed, all this other stuff you refer to seems to me you are making a lot of work out of a very, very simple job. geoff
Hi Geoff

Does appear that it should be simple. These have been set on line 1:-

proxy=sip.voipcheap.co.uk

Yet it doesn't work. So there must be something else preventing it from doing so..

I have also configured line 2

proxy=sipgate.co.uk
display name=your sipgate user name
user id=your sipgate user name
password=your sipgate password

That line doesn't work either. Also says cannot connect to login server.

As far as I'm aware all it needs to do is send the username/password to the proxy server to register. Hardly rocket science is it :-)

Right now I'm a bit stumped and may just stick it back into it's box until I get a chance to try it on another network.
Old Dec 26th 2008, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Well would you believe it. I rebooted my ADSL router and both lines on the PAP2 register. I can even make calls through voipcheap

Thanks for your suggestions folks..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.