Reload this Page >

Voipcheap and telephone equipment

Voipcheap and telephone equipment

Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Peter Squires is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Voipcheap and telephone equipment

Hello again,

After researching this forum, Voipcheap seems to be a good bet for making calls to the UK. I am trying to set myself up for when I arrive in January and want to use Voipcheap through the router even when the PC is off.

Their web site recommends certain phones to buy and I fancied getting the Siemans Gigaset cordless phone in the UK and bringing it out with me. I contacted Siemans to ask if the UK version would work in Spain ( with an adapter from BT to USA phone slot thingy) and they replied "If the telephone is used anywhere else, we are not able to confirm that the telephone or all the features (if any) will be functioning as it should in its country of origin".

Very helpful! Has anybody tried using UK phones in Spain or am I barking up the wrong tree trying this route?

Regards,

Peter
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voipcheap and telephone equipment

Originally Posted by Peter Squires
Hello again,

After researching this forum, Voipcheap seems to be a good bet for making calls to the UK. I am trying to set myself up for when I arrive in January and want to use Voipcheap through the router even when the PC is off.

Their web site recommends certain phones to buy and I fancied getting the Siemans Gigaset cordless phone in the UK and bringing it out with me. I contacted Siemans to ask if the UK version would work in Spain ( with an adapter from BT to USA phone slot thingy) and they replied "If the telephone is used anywhere else, we are not able to confirm that the telephone or all the features (if any) will be functioning as it should in its country of origin".

Very helpful! Has anybody tried using UK phones in Spain or am I barking up the wrong tree trying this route?

Regards,

Peter
why not just buy a cordless phone out here ?
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spain
why not just buy a cordless phone out here ?
Not any old cordless phone will work with Voipcheap (apparently), I wanted to buy it in the UK on my business account (as it will be used for business when I am out there), most electrical equipement also seems to be much cheaper in the UK, plus you get instructions in English.

Regards,

Peter
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Not any old cordless phone will work with Voipcheap (apparently), I wanted to buy it in the UK on my business account (as it will be used for business when I am out there), most electrical equipement also seems to be much cheaper in the UK, plus you get instructions in English.

Regards,

Peter
you can look up lots of instruction manuals in English on the internet, we have done that with stuff we have bought over here

It probably wont help but in Pedreguer there is a market/rastro and Im sure there is a stall there that sells various voip phones ...just a thought
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:44 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Regards,

Peter
we use voip, though admittedly with a USB - I can't imagine that you can't get cordless here
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to use voipchep with the pc off, then wouldn't you be better off with an ip phone? Or a mobile with wifi?
Old Dec 10th 2008, 6:41 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valenciatim
If you want to use voipchep with the pc off, then wouldn't you be better off with an ip phone? Or a mobile with wifi?
That is the only problem with Voipcheap, you do need the pc on.
But we use our landline for the calls at 5cents connection, the free call is just as good as the Telefonica line.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jdr
But we use our landline for the calls at 5cents connection, the free call is just as good as the Telefonica line.
yeah me too, I also use mine for texts to UK mobiles
Old Dec 10th 2008, 9:17 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I have a Dect phone bought in Mediamart (or however you spell it). around 55 euros but works

Davexf
Old Dec 10th 2008, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

You can use Skype with the telephone connected directly to the router so it works totally independently of the computer.

Another option is Jajah which, once set up, can be used directly from telephone to telephone also independently of the computer although this only works with numbers that are also registered with Jahjah.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

Another solution to look at is Vonage. We subscribed to this recently. Last trip bought out our Vonage adapter along with a DECT phone. Plug it into the router and it worked a treat. Independent of the PC and you can pay a monthly subscription for unlimited calls. Although I suspect that unlimited does actually have a limit as is the case with broadband providers. We went for the £7.99 per month with free calls to 15 countries.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bob_day
Another solution to look at is Vonage. We subscribed to this recently. Last trip bought out our Vonage adapter along with a DECT phone. Plug it into the router and it worked a treat. Independent of the PC and you can pay a monthly subscription for unlimited calls. Although I suspect that unlimited does actually have a limit as is the case with broadband providers. We went for the £7.99 per month with free calls to 15 countries.
I emailed Vonage Support this very question today, their answer was, UK to Spain = free calls, take your adaptor to Spain & phone UK = NOT free calls on the £7.99 per month package. They didnt bother to tell me what the charge would be, nor did they suggest adding a Spanish based number for a further £2.99 month which I think (but do not know for sure) would make Spain to UK free.

I asked them if you were cut off after 60 minutes, they did not reply - I asked them if there was a maximum free calls per month and they did not reply. I have heard the max is 2000 mins per month?

Have you been charged from Spain to UK calls yet Bob?

Regards,

Peter
Old Dec 11th 2008, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't used it extensively in Spain as yet. Looking through the bill we made half a dozen calls to UK numbers over a weekend and the only one which incurred a charge was to a mobile. This would have been charged anyway no matter where the adapter was plugged in. The others show unlimited in the rate column.

Sorry I don't have more data to go on but this was only a test to see if it will be a viable phone system when we make the permanent move next year. March will be the real test as we are over for the month and will be running our UK business as normal.

On previous trips we have used SkypeOut/In with a USB phone plugged into the pc. That didn't prove to be very reliable and voice quality was often poor. Don't believe that our broadband connection was responsible as it is a good solid connection at 2Mb
Old Dec 11th 2008, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bob_day
Haven't used it extensively in Spain as yet. Looking through the bill we made half a dozen calls to UK numbers over a weekend and the only one which incurred a charge was to a mobile. This would have been charged anyway no matter where the adapter was plugged in. The others show unlimited in the rate column.

Sorry I don't have more data to go on but this was only a test to see if it will be a viable phone system when we make the permanent move next year. March will be the real test as we are over for the month and will be running our UK business as normal.

On previous trips we have used SkypeOut/In with a USB phone plugged into the pc. That didn't prove to be very reliable and voice quality was often poor. Don't believe that our broadband connection was responsible as it is a good solid connection at 2Mb
I am in the same boat as you Bob, want to run my UK business while I am Spain two weeks each month. Just telephoned Vonage and they contradicted their email by saying the same as you, free Spain to UK calls with the adapter over there.

Still undecided wether to go with Vonage or the less expensive Voipcheap, might try them both

Regards,

Peter
Old Dec 11th 2008, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
but not if you use their adapter and a SIP phone surely?

Regards,

Peter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.