Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Voipcheap and telephone equipment

Voipcheap and telephone equipment

Old Dec 11th 2008, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voipcheap and telephone equipment

Hi Peter

Vonage do give you a 30 day money back option. Sign up to time it with one of your trips and see how it goes.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 6:51 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter Squires
but not if you use their adapter and a SIP phone surely?

Regards,

Peter
I don`t know, our PC is on most times any way,
You just dial through the PC, your phone rings and you pick it up and hear it dialling the number, connection is 5 cents and calls to most countries free as are text messages.
I don`t think you will get cheaper than that. ;-))
Old Dec 12th 2008, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I don`t know, our PC is on most times any way,
You just dial through the PC, your phone rings and you pick it up and hear it dialling the number, connection is 5 cents and calls to most countries free as are text messages.
I don`t think you will get cheaper than that. ;-))
What do they charge for calls to mobiles?
Old Dec 12th 2008, 8:10 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_day
What do they charge for calls to mobiles?
8 cents per min UK mobile, 10 cents per min Spanish mobile.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
8 cents per min UK mobile, 10 cents per min Spanish mobile.
That is pretty good, easily beating Vonage at 12P and skype at 14P.

Seems to me that the get the best rates vs usability it may be appropriate to use a couple of providers. We found this a while ago with the various prefix dialling services available here in the Uk such as 18185. Some gave better rates to the US, others to mobiles and so on.

Just looked at the voipcheap site and right now they don't have any incoming numbers available for UK or Spain.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

yug23 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you get a cheap unlocked PAP2 phone adapter from eBay and then set it up with this guide: http://forums.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=3705&PN=1 (substituting voipcheap for voipbuster of course) you can have very cheap calls and no need to have the PC on.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yug23
If you get a cheap unlocked PAP2 phone adapter from eBay and then set it up with this guide: http://forums.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=3705&PN=1 (substituting voipcheap for voipbuster of course) you can have very cheap calls and no need to have the PC on.

Funny you should say that. Not 2 hours ago I picked up an unlocked Linksys PAP2 from ebay for £16 delivered. There are plenty on there at £17.99 buy it now.

My thinking is that I will use Vonage for my incoming calls and I still have a UK (Basingstoke) number which is imperative for our business to run and VoipCheap for calls to UK mobiles.

Will check out the URL for config instructions.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
connection is 5 cents and calls to most countries free
yes I phone Oz from Spain for free too
Old Dec 13th 2008, 4:20 pm
Banned

voipjam is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spain
yes I phone Oz from Spain for free too
Linksys PAP2 would be a good option...
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Now there's an odd thing. Turns out that I created an account with voipcheap.com a while ago which after getting the password reminder I can still log in to. However the same usernname won't get me into voipcheap.co.uk, in fact it's not even recognised when I request a password reminder.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_day
Now there's an odd thing. Turns out that I created an account with voipcheap.com a while ago which after getting the password reminder I can still log in to. However the same usernname won't get me into voipcheap.co.uk, in fact it's not even recognised when I request a password reminder.
but are they not 2 different companies with 2 different websites ?
Old Dec 15th 2008, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spain
but are they not 2 different companies with 2 different websites ?
So it would seem. .UK is actually cheaper than .com for calls to UK mobiles. .069 as opposed to .08 euros
Old Dec 18th 2008, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

geobat57 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Peter Squires
Hello again,

After researching this forum, Voipcheap seems to be a good bet for making calls to the UK. I am trying to set myself up for when I arrive in January and want to use Voipcheap through the router even when the PC is off.

Their web site recommends certain phones to buy and I fancied getting the Siemans Gigaset cordless phone in the UK and bringing it out with me. I contacted Siemans to ask if the UK version would work in Spain ( with an adapter from BT to USA phone slot thingy) and they replied "If the telephone is used anywhere else, we are not able to confirm that the telephone or all the features (if any) will be functioning as it should in its country of origin".

Very helpful! Has anybody tried using UK phones in Spain or am I barking up the wrong tree trying this route?

Regards,

Peter
hi my names geoff, I use voipcheap and live in fuerteventura, I have installed a Linksys box which you setup on you pc, but once setup you only need pc to make any payments, the Linksys box connects to your modem/router? and has two ordinary phone sockets to put ordinary phones into and can be used at the same time to different destinations, I have one in my pc room and the other in lounge/cordless my wife then sits in garden talking to UK, the phone acts the same as ordinary phone,linksys box purchased on ebay uk between £20/30 with instructions, hope this helps. Geoff
Old Dec 19th 2008, 1:50 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Why pay when they are giving them away

http://www.vonage.co.uk/equipment/
Old Dec 19th 2008, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
Why pay when they are giving them away

http://www.vonage.co.uk/equipment/
Maybe because that one is locked to the Vonage service.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.