Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Valencua region

Valencua region

Old Apr 4th 2022, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Valencua region

Originally Posted by Moses2013
It's the same everywhere though and some Chinese only go to the Chinese, Indians bring their own food to the hotel and Germans eat Currywurst. Demographics are changing anyway and it's hard to really stick to traditional and traditional doesn't always mean it's better. Although I also love to eat Chipirones when we arrive, I think the best Calzone I have eaten was in Spain and the best tapas probably in Ireland. Of course only going to English bars is not something I'd support, although I can understand some might feel more comfortable.
Completely agree, but is it not the general idea of a holiday to somewhere different, that it gives the opportunity to actually do something different?
Maybe thats my problem, I treat each new place as if its new and seek out the different to home. As a family we have never been interested in all inclusive or even hotels, preferring self catering every time (ok once but my daughter worked for First Choice and we had a holiday including the flight and all inclusive for a week for £35.00 each in 2014).
Suppose spending so much time away for work in hotels tends to sour that after a while.

Best Calzone for me was in Rimini and strangely enough with the same work mate I met up with today.
Although Rimini itself is not (in my view) a very nice place.
Old Apr 5th 2022, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
Completely agree, but is it not the general idea of a holiday to somewhere different, that it gives the opportunity to actually do something different?
Maybe thats my problem, I treat each new place as if its new and seek out the different to home. As a family we have never been interested in all inclusive or even hotels, preferring self catering every time (ok once but my daughter worked for First Choice and we had a holiday including the flight and all inclusive for a week for £35.00 each in 2014).
Suppose spending so much time away for work in hotels tends to sour that after a while.

Best Calzone for me was in Rimini and strangely enough with the same work mate I met up with today.
Although Rimini itself is not (in my view) a very nice place.
You are right with the general idea, in reality a lot of people who go to certain parts of Spain just go for sun. If it was really about culture and a different experience, they could have gone to Pontevedra (although 20c and sunny there today). Globalization also makes it more difficult and I must admit that when I drive through France, I have stopped at the M because the staff are friendly and polite. You stick your card in the machine, it answers in English and you get a Thank you. Joking aside, it's really more convenience than anything else when you want to get through France as quickly as possible and need a coffee. On a Sunday you either have that option or some petrol station that only has vending machines with coffee that's even more bland.
Old Apr 5th 2022, 9:51 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Albir and Altea, just outside of Benidorm, far enough away to not have the usual influx of Brit tourists but still with a bus service to Benidorm for occasional visits and very nice, yes some Brit Expats but nowhere near as many as Benidorm.
Old Apr 5th 2022, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Albir and Altea, just outside of Benidorm, far enough away to not have the usual influx of Brit tourists but still with a bus service to Benidorm for occasional visits and very nice, yes some Brit Expats but nowhere near as many as Benidorm.
Nice promenade but again the issue with light pollution. Detached homes are no longer that cheap ether it seems, so they'd probably have to go further out.
Relleu would be Ok it seems

Last edited by Moses2013; Apr 5th 2022 at 10:28 am.
Old Apr 6th 2022, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Richielisa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rosemary
We all want different things from our lives in Spain. Thank goodness there are so many places to choose from that we can all find our own suitable place to fit our needs. It is down to personal choice, wishes, needs etc so although many members can provide insights into a variety of towns and areas there is nothing to beat exploring and getting a real feel for a place in person.

Rosemary
agreed Rosemary. Thankyou for your input!
Old Apr 6th 2022, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richielisa
Hi

We are still looking for the right area for us to retire fom the UK to Spain.

Does anyone have experience of the Valencia region? We have been looking at the area around Alberic, in particular the urbanisation of San Cristóbal. We dont want to be too rural and neither do we want to be in the hussle and bustle of a town/tourist area, but want access to amenities if at all possible.

If anyone could give us a few ideas it would be appreciated.

Regards,

Richie and Lisa
I've never been to that area but I would suggest sticking with your initial thought. You probably chose it due to proximity to the things you need. In most cases it's proximity to a decent airport, beaches and countryside. I know a lot of people say Valencia airport is not the best, but for me it's perfect. Small enough to get through security in 5 minutes and well serviced enough to take me to the places I choose to visit.
Old Apr 6th 2022, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Opinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanNico
I've never been to that area but I would suggest sticking with your initial thought. You probably chose it due to proximity to the things you need. In most cases it's proximity to a decent airport, beaches and countryside. I know a lot of people say Valencia airport is not the best, but for me it's perfect. Small enough to get through security in 5 minutes and well serviced enough to take me to the places I choose to visit.
Valencia airport is fantastic. Burger King, very efficient, very clean and the Metro station takes you into the city in 15 minutes.
Old Apr 6th 2022, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Opinion
Valencia airport is fantastic. Burger King, very efficient, very clean and the Metro station takes you into the city in 15 minutes.
I agree. I prefer smaller airports for this reason. Burger King closed during the pandemic although it may return when they finish the refurb. The only problems I've had are with the rip off car park for same day return flights and the new passport scanners for non-EU travel but it was the first week of operation so maybe they've fixed it now.
Old Apr 6th 2022, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Opinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanNico
I agree. I prefer smaller airports for this reason. Burger King closed during the pandemic although it may return when they finish the refurb. The only problems I've had are with the rip off car park for same day return flights and the new passport scanners for non-EU travel but it was the first week of operation so maybe they've fixed it now.
I'm not living in the city at the moment but it was such an easy journey. Stansted Airport to Valencia, fly through security, escalator in the airport straight down to the Metro, cheap and frequent and straight into the city, from landing to my front door was usually less than 30 minutes. I've never used the car park so can't comment on that, but the scanners have always been fine for me.
Old Apr 6th 2022, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

I'm not living in the city at the moment but it was such an easy journey. Stansted Airport to Valencia, fly through security, escalator in the airport straight down to the Metro, cheap and frequent and straight into the city, from landing to my front door was usually less than 30 minutes. I've never used the car park so can't comment on that, but the scanners have always been fine for me.
Brilliant!
Old Apr 6th 2022, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry at first glance of the original post I thought the OP meant the Valencia province itself and not the whole Valencia region,

So many places to choose from, everybody’s opinions differ, if money isn’t an issue when buying then for me it’s Calpe, Moraira, Javea.

Guardamar del segura was definitely one of the best places I have lived on the coast, I lived in punta prima didn’t really like it there much, lived near Quesada too many expats for my liking but you do get more for your money down those ways.

I lived in Albir and Altea, ended up hating Albir but Altea is lovely but also expensive, I lived in Benidorm and that became too much for me seeing drunk people day in day out.

Denia, Pedreguer, Ondara, Oliva, Benissa upto Gandía are lovely places too.

Mutxamel is a great little town along with San Juan and El Campello.

In any case I would just suggest spending a year maybe even 18 months renting in different places and see where you fall in love with the most.
Old Apr 6th 2022, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Albir_Tom
Sorry at first glance of the original post I thought the OP meant the Valencia province itself and not the whole Valencia region,

So many places to choose from, everybody’s opinions differ, if money isn’t an issue when buying then for me it’s Calpe, Moraira, Javea.

Guardamar del segura was definitely one of the best places I have lived on the coast, I lived in punta prima didn’t really like it there much, lived near Quesada too many expats for my liking but you do get more for your money down those ways.

I lived in Albir and Altea, ended up hating Albir but Altea is lovely but also expensive, I lived in Benidorm and that became too much for me seeing drunk people day in day out.

Denia, Pedreguer, Ondara, Oliva, Benissa upto Gandía are lovely places too.

Mutxamel is a great little town along with San Juan and El Campello.

In any case I would just suggest spending a year maybe even 18 months renting in different places and see where you fall in love with the most.
Thanks. Thats one heel of a list! :-) I will be looking at all of them mate!
Old Apr 6th 2022, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Brilliant!
Keep this thread updated, would be very interested to follow for me personally.
Old Apr 6th 2022, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Keep this thread updated, would be very interested to follow for me personally.
will do
Old Apr 6th 2022, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Thats one heel of a list! :-) I will be looking at all of them mate!
Also if you intend on driving in Spain then it’s definitely worth looking a little further back from the coast.

Callosa den sarria, polop, la nucia, finestrat can still be a little expensive but lovely places

further down you have busot, agost, creviellent, hondon de los frailes and nieves going down to catral, dolores, san fulgencio, la marina urb, Rojales, algorfa and los Montesinos, all these places you can buy for very cheap, have great weather and a cheap cost of living, expat communities and Spanish people mixed in abundance.

A little gem of a town on the Costa Blanca is Algorfa, so so cheap to buy and kept so clean and the mayor really looks after the town and everyone in it, situated right next to the la finca golf resort. Very good place to check out.

If you want really Spanish places you would need to go more towards Valencia city itself and if you want more luxury then I would definitely recommend Javea and around that area.

Hope you find your dream home

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.