Reload this Page >

Valencua region

Valencua region

Old Mar 31st 2022, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Richielisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Valencua region

Hi

We are still looking for the right area for us to retire fom the UK to Spain.

Does anyone have experience of the Valencia region? We have been looking at the area around Alberic, in particular the urbanisation of San Cristóbal. We dont want to be too rural and neither do we want to be in the hussle and bustle of a town/tourist area, but want access to amenities if at all possible.

If anyone could give us a few ideas it would be appreciated.

Regards,

Richie and Lisa
Old Apr 1st 2022, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Valencua region

I haven’t been to Alberic personally but Xativa and Ontinyent are nice towns, all around that area would be lovely to retire to.

Property prices are relatively cheap along with cost of living.

Only negative thing that I can say about that area is that during summer July/August the humidity is ridiculous.
Old Apr 1st 2022, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Albir_Tom
I haven’t been to Alberic personally but Xativa and Ontinyent are nice towns, all around that area would be lovely to retire to.

Property prices are relatively cheap along with cost of living.

Only negative thing that I can say about that area is that during summer July/August the humidity is ridiculous.
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the heads up. We used to own a home in Florida so I expect it may be similar?

Regards

Richie and Lisa
Old Apr 1st 2022, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

El Campello, Vilajosioa are nice small towns on the coast with an older population...
Old Apr 1st 2022, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by growinspain
El Campello, Vilajosioa are nice small towns on the coast with an older population...
thanks!
Old Apr 1st 2022, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richielisa
Hi

We are still looking for the right area for us to retire fom the UK to Spain.

Does anyone have experience of the Valencia region? We have been looking at the area around Alberic, in particular the urbanisation of San Cristóbal. We dont want to be too rural and neither do we want to be in the hussle and bustle of a town/tourist area, but want access to amenities if at all possible.

If anyone could give us a few ideas it would be appreciated.

Regards,

Richie and Lisa
Depends at what level of amenities you want.
Towns inland down from Calpe towards Benidorm all have a good mix of peoples but can be quiet.

You have La Nucia which is a sprawling mix of a town with lots of attached Urbs, some small, some large.
The main town is Ok and has everything you might need, including a world renowned Sports complex. Panorama Urb has some stunning properties as well as some nice apartments (but there isn't a lot in the locality)
Then there are smaller places like Polop (next to La Nucia) We live in a tiny village attached to Polop (but Polop has no large supermarket or petrol station, the town centre is very Spanish (although you will hear English, Dutch, German, Spanish and it has a nice mix of Scandinavians as well). The local Urbs are Alberca (which has a mix of houses) Polop Hills which has never been finished.
Alfaz de Pi is a good town and has one of the largest Scandanavian populations in Spain.
Finestrat is a very good town, up in the mountains.
The area around Quadalest is stunning and there are a few small villages, we looked here to open a B&B.
Further inland you have Alcoi and Cocentaina both nice towns with small villages dotted around them. Again we looked here in 2016... Good thing about here is the AP7 is close by so airports are easy.

Moving to the coast Albir is Ok but no history to speak of and if you want some quiet you have to be on the outskirts.
Altea has some nice parts but only Russians can afford in Altea Hills.
I actually like Calpe, most of our friends don't for various reasons. Yes its a large town, but there are areas on its outskirts that are amazing and have nice properties. The main town has all you need and the old town is nice as well.

Forget Benidorm and La Cala and I might even say forget Villajoyosa as its a nice beach town but gets very busy with Spanish tourists in August (the only time we never go there) and you will find parking next to impossible.
South of Benidorm it starts to get quiet again BUT there are so many small seaside villages all dotted along the N332 as you head for Alicante.

You really need to spend some time here, it took us years to finally settle on an area, we felt would be good for us for a few years (but the FIL lives in the area, so we had inside info)
But even then, we had never considered the village we now live in. I think during our searches we probably visited every town in a 30km radius of where I am now sitting.
We only looked here because we were talking to the local Police Chief in a bar and he suggested where we now are.

All of our comments and suggestions are based on our individual likes and dislikes, so you will get a varied response, but you alone can make the decision.
I would however suggest you use Google Maps and 'walk' around.
Old Apr 1st 2022, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Barriej
Towns inland down from Calpe towards Benidorm all have a good mix of peoples but can be quiet.

You have La Nucia which is a sprawling mix of a town with lots of attached Urbs, some small, some large.
The main town is Ok and has everything you might need, including a world renowned Sports complex. Panorama Urb has some stunning properties as well as some nice apartments (but there isn't a lot in the locality)
Then there are smaller places like Polop (next to La Nucia) We live in a tiny village attached to Polop (but Polop has no large supermarket or petrol station, the town centre is very Spanish (although you will hear English, Dutch, German, Spanish and it has a nice mix of Scandinavians as well). The local Urbs are Alberca (which has a mix of houses) Polop Hills which has never been finished.
Alfaz de Pi is a good town and has one of the largest Scandanavian populations in Spain.
The area around Quadalest is stunning and there are a few small villages, we looked here to open a B&B.
Further inland you have Alcoi and Cocentaina both nice towns with small villages dotted around them. Again we looked here in 2016... Good thing about here is the AP7 is close by so airports are easy.

Moving to the coast Albir is Ok but no history to speak of and if you want some quiet you have to be on the outskirts.
I actually like Calpe, most of our friends don't for various reasons. Yes its a large town, but there are areas on its outskirts that are amazing and have nice properties. The main town has all you need and the old town is nice as well.

Forget Benidorm and La Cala and I might even say forget Villajoyosa as its a nice beach town but gets very busy with Spanish tourists in August (the only time we never go there) and you will find parking next to impossible.
South of Benidorm it starts to get quiet again BUT there are so many small seaside villages all dotted along the N332 as you head for Alicante.

You really need to spend some time here, it took us years to finally settle on an area, we felt would be good for us for a few years (but the FIL lives in the area, so we had inside info)
But even then, we had never considered the village we now live in. I think during our searches we probably visited every town in a 30km radius of where I am now sitting.
We only looked here because we were talking to the local Police Chief in a bar and he suggested where we now are.

All of our comments and suggestions are based on our individual likes and dislikes, so you will get a varied response, but you alone can make the decision.
that is fantastic. Thanks for your reply. Ver comprehensive and some great suggestions. I will check these places out I think. Retirement is fast approaching and we are in a position to transfer our BUPA private healthcare to Sanitas....but only whilst the company uses there group cover. If they change companies next year it scuppers our chances due to a historic health issue.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 2nd 2022, 10:32 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

We're in same boat, can't decide where to settle.

We're just leaving Peníscola after 5 months. Love the place and the people. No ingles which was great for us, in at the deep end. Only 90 mins north of Valencia. We were up a steep hill so got deliveries from Mercadona so maybe check if you can deliveries online which is very handy.
Old Apr 2nd 2022, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Londonuck
We're in same boat, can't decide where to settle.

We're just leaving Peníscola after 5 months. Love the place and the people. No ingles which was great for us, in at the deep end. Only 90 mins north of Valencia. We were up a steep hill so got deliveries from Mercadona so maybe check if you can deliveries online which is very handy.
Thats a good idea. A lot more research os needed methinks!
Old Apr 2nd 2022, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej

"Forget Benidorm and La Cala and I might even say forget Villajoyosa"

A bit harsh to rule out these areas!
There are some very nice respectable areas on the outskirts of Benidorm. La Cala is a nice area and only gets mildly busy in the holiday period and Villajoyosa is quite a nice area too.

Steve
Old Apr 2nd 2022, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tebo53
"Forget Benidorm and La Cala and I might even say forget Villajoyosa"

A bit harsh to rule out these areas!
There are some very nice respectable areas on the outskirts of Benidorm. La Cala is a nice area and only gets mildly busy in the holiday period and Villajoyosa is quite a nice area too.

Steve
I will have a look Steve. Thanks.
Old Apr 2nd 2022, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Another area to look into would be Algimia de Alfara and the whole of the Campo de Murviedro...
Surrounded by orange trees ( though changing to avocados) it is a quiet, nice area not far from Valencia by car, bus or train.
Old Apr 2nd 2022, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by growinspain
Another area to look into would be Algimia de Alfara and the whole of the Campo de Murviedro...
Surrounded by orange trees ( though changing to avocados) it is a quiet, nice area not far from Valencia by car, bus or train.
That sounds idyllic. Thanks!
Old Apr 3rd 2022, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

It is very difficult to make a decision like this. Your perception of Spain at the moment will have changed alot after living here. If you are thinking of retiring then you probably will be a stage of life where the idea of learning Spanish and integrating is probably not likely to happen so I would not go for the full on Spanish experience. Most retired UK nats live in urbanization where English is used and the day proceeds in a manner similar to UK. I suggest you consider these area around Torrevieja than heading to a small inland community where you will probably end up feeling a bit of an outsider

Last edited by Ronnyone; Apr 3rd 2022 at 7:20 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2022, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
It is very difficult to make a decision like this. Your perception of Spain at the moment will have changed alot after living here. If you are thinking of retiring then you probably will be a stage of life where the idea of learning Spanish and integrating is probably not likely to happen so I would not go for the full on Spanish experience. Most retired UK nats live in urbanization where English is used and the day proceeds in a manner similar to UK. I suggest you consider these area around Torrevieja than heading to a small inland community where you will probably end up feeling a bit of an outsider
that is sound advice and it is something we have considered. We dont want to be in a place where we will feel vulnerable but we also dont want it too touristy. A compromise in some way would be ideal. Cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.