Vaccination

Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:29 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vaccination

Originally Posted by dmu
Back to the original theme, and as a matter of interest, are children in Spain who haven't been vaccinated at all but accepted into school, allowed to go on school trips?
I ask, because children in France whose vaccinations aren't for some reason up to date, aren't allowed to go on a day-trip, let alone a week in a foreign country, with their class. Not so much because of the risk of catching children's diseases, but tetanos following an injury.
Just wondered....
I wasn't allowed to go on "trips" in the Royal Navy unless I had my jabs.......
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:32 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I just can't understand how you could get shingles, which is the chickenpox virus already in your body, hidden in the nervous system AFTER BEING DEFEATED BY YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM.

So, to get shingles, first you have to get chicken pox.

I'm pretty sure that any so called 'childhood disease' is more serious whe caught as an adult.
In theory what you said is all true ......... which is why I said that Polly's case might have been severe adult chicken pox and just presumed to be shingles.... because Polly doesn't really fit the age bracket for shingles.

Of course without getting Polly or her mother or her Dr infront of me I won't know this.

I do know that sometimes parents with more than one child don't always have total recall over which child had what disease and sometimes people grow up thinking they had german measles when actually, it might have been their sister.

My mum knows that one of us had mumps. She knows it wasn't me - the eldest. She's not entirely sure now if it was middle child or younger child.... and the kids in question were too young to remember themselves. I personally think it was my little little sister and think I have more memory in this now than my mother does. There was something about tiny sister looking like a full-cheeked hamster and only being able to drink through a straw that stuck in my brain and the fact that my birthday party got cancelled coz stupid little sister had the mumps !

Mum had probably lived through, nursed and cured so much crap with all 3 of us that's it's no wonder her and other mums eventually start to mix things up.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:43 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Back to the original theme, and as a matter of interest, are children in Spain who haven't been vaccinated at all but accepted into school, allowed to go on school trips?
I ask, because children in France whose vaccinations aren't for some reason up to date, aren't allowed to go on a day-trip, let alone a week in a foreign country, with their class. Not so much because of the risk of catching children's diseases, but tetanos following an injury.
Just wondered....
they are supposed to be up to date with their jabs to be accepted into state school in the first place

but after the initial medical we've never been asked again, and both dds have been on residential trips, although not outside Spain

eta - just thought - they have to carry their medical cards with them when they go on residential trips - and all the info re: jabs & so on is on a central computer.....so they could just check re:tetanus etc. I guess

Last edited by lynnxa; Jul 24th 2011 at 2:47 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 7:29 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

OK, thanks for replying!
But I'm still intrigued to know whether non-vaccinated children are allowed to go on residential trips...
I forgot to mention in my "they've got to be vaccinated at some stage anyway" post above, that my daughter had to produce her French "Health Book" when enrolling at a German University to prove that she was vaccinated (having produced it for French Uni).
Do Spanish Uni's demand this, too?
Old Jul 24th 2011, 7:31 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
OK, thanks for replying!
But I'm still intrigued to know whether non-vaccinated children are allowed to go on residential trips...
I forgot to mention in my "they've got to be vaccinated at some stage anyway" post above, that my daughter had to produce her French "Health Book" when enrolling at a German University to prove that she was vaccinated (having produced it for French Uni).
Do Spanish Uni's demand this, too?
non-vaccinated children aren't supposed to get into school in the first place..........
Old Jul 24th 2011, 7:35 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
In theory what you said is all true ......... which is why I said that Polly's case might have been severe adult chicken pox and just presumed to be shingles.... because Polly doesn't really fit the age bracket for shingles.

Of course without getting Polly or her mother or her Dr infront of me I won't know this.

I do know that sometimes parents with more than one child don't always have total recall over which child had what disease and sometimes people grow up thinking they had german measles when actually, it might have been their sister.

My mum knows that one of us had mumps. She knows it wasn't me - the eldest. She's not entirely sure now if it was middle child or younger child.... and the kids in question were too young to remember themselves. I personally think it was my little little sister and think I have more memory in this now than my mother does. There was something about tiny sister looking like a full-cheeked hamster and only being able to drink through a straw that stuck in my brain and the fact that my birthday party got cancelled coz stupid little sister had the mumps !

Mum had probably lived through, nursed and cured so much crap with all 3 of us that's it's no wonder her and other mums eventually start to mix things up.
Yeah, you can see that can't you?
Old Jul 24th 2011, 9:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza

I know my brother and sister had chicken pox as kids, as did all the kids I used to babysit for - I may have had a mildly as a kid. Mum always sent me to babysit even when the kids had it cos she was hoping I would catch it as a kid and in her words "get it over with" but I never did.
As to whether it was chicken pox or shingles I had in 2004 I'm not a medic but the nerve pain that went with it indicates it was shingles. Absolute agony and unable to move without screaming for 4 or 5 days. That was worse than any other symptom like the spots. I didn't see a doctor, we were too broke for me to pay for one and it hurt to much to move enough to get up and go to find one.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 6:57 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
non-vaccinated children aren't supposed to get into school in the first place..........
I know that, but there are at least three lots of parents (two on this forum and the OP's friend) who haven't vaccinated their children and who could have answered.....
Old Jul 25th 2011, 7:05 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by dmu
I know that, but there are at least three lots of parents (two on this forum and the OP's friend) who haven't vaccinated their children and who could have answered.....
well yes...........& I didn't have any proof

but the medical cards/computer records will have the info on them

I do know a kid who turned up at the coach for a ski trip at 4am who was sent home because she didn't have her medical card with her, so possibly they won't let them
Old Jul 25th 2011, 7:17 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I do know a kid who turned up at the coach for a ski trip at 4am who was sent home because she didn't have her medical card with her, so possibly they won't let them
This happened to one of my daughter's classmates who wasn't allowed to go on a week-long exchange visit with her class. The teacher (and host family in Germany) were not amused....
Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:32 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by dmu
This happened to one of my daughter's classmates who wasn't allowed to go on a week-long exchange visit with her class. The teacher (and host family in Germany) were not amused....
this girl was lucky - she had just left it at home & the parents were able to drive her to catch the bus up

if she hadn't been able to get the card I doubt they'd have got a refund, either