Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Useful words for car problems? eg tracking.....

Useful words for car problems? eg tracking.....

Old May 1st 2010, 4:01 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Useful words for car problems? eg tracking.....

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
Not surprising as it is targeted at mechanics and Technicians and not at run of the mill motorists.

Just done the same exercise with the same word.

Jim

Are you saying that it is aimed at technicians and such, because a lot of the words there are not exactly "technical" terms pertaining only to car mechanics.

Words like, interior, rust, and loads of others are just normal words which a run of the mill motorist would know.

So what happend to tracking, if it is for the "people in the know"?
Old May 1st 2010, 4:39 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Are you saying that it is aimed at technicians and such, because a lot of the words there are not exactly "technical" terms pertaining only to car mechanics.

Words like, interior, rust, and loads of others are just normal words which a run of the mill motorist would know.

So what happend to tracking, if it is for the "people in the know"?
The list is probably for do it yourselfers and tracking is slightly technical
cos a shade out and you knacker the tyres amongst other things, so they don`t list it ?
Old May 1st 2010, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

It is a great list, and a good help to many, but would you believe the OP asked about Tracking, and it is not on the list.
Look under Steering/suspension.

alignment (tracking)= alineación

check = comprobar/verificar

simple.
Old May 1st 2010, 4:42 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
Go back to post 3 in this thread. The glossary of all terms needed at the garage with translations into Spanish was posted by me and placed in the "free beer" section around two years ago.
They still don`t look in there for stuff despite me changing the title to something i thought would attract people.
Old May 1st 2010, 4:47 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
Look under Steering/suspension.

alignment (tracking)= alineación

check = comprobar/verificar

simple.
I did not need to look up the answer, I already knew it. I just expected it to be under "t" for Tracking.

It is a very usefull tool, though.

Last edited by JLFS; May 1st 2010 at 4:51 pm.
Old May 1st 2010, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

No because that's what it says it's for!!!

The translations contained in this glossary represent most, if not all, of the terms a technician may encounter on the associated bilingual certification exams. The “Preferred Spanish” translation for each English term or phrase is intended to represent a translation that should be correctly understood by any knowledgeable Spanish-speaking automobile technician, regardless of where their Spanish originates. Given the variations in Spanish from country to country, and region to region, creating a universally understood technical document in Spanish is a substantial challenge.

Jim
Old May 2nd 2010, 4:48 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
All of which kind of justifies my question; I know a bit but not enough about cars to be able define the difference between steering & tracking (if any, see above!) so wondered if he was right to use a word that meant steering when it's a problem with the tyres - only one, actually - wearing unevenly. I guess I have to assemble a list of possible words, say them all to him & leave him to work out I don't want him to literally reinvent the wheel, just check what needs doing & if he can do it! Good job I know him from having bought tyres there for years!
IMHO, badly aligned tracking would not cause uneven wear on only one (front?) trye.

With all due respect I would suggest a little knowledge can be dangerous. I would suggest you should tell your trained mechanic what your problem is and let him diagnose the cause. Pointing at the worn tyre and "es no bien" or "¿por qué?" would suffice.