Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

understanding vpn

understanding vpn

Old Mar 12th 2014, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

jackteet is an unknown quantity at this point
Question understanding vpn

Hi, I am thinking of getting an android box to watch uk tv. In addition to "Filmon" I would like iplayer but appreciate that to get this I must have a vpn linked to the uk.
I want to use my box wifi rather than having an hdmi attached.
The android box will come from the uk. My question is whether the box should be loaded with uk vpn or whether I can just get a vpn here in spain once the box arrives. Thanks
Old Mar 12th 2014, 6:25 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: understanding vpn

I think Android boxes are a little cheaper when you buy them in Euros. Typically €50 - €100 depending on vendor. Besides you need to change the plug if you buy one in the UK. They are all the same wherever you buy them.

The little Android "stick" devices are cheaper, but aren't very good at all. The 10cm square black box units are a lot better and more expandable.

You can set up VPN and/or proxy on the Android TV box, but the best way is to set it up in your router, if it has that capability.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 7:00 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackteet
Hi, I am thinking of getting an android box to watch uk tv. In addition to "Filmon" I would like iplayer but appreciate that to get this I must have a vpn linked to the uk.
I want to use my box wifi rather than having an hdmi attached.
The android box will come from the uk. My question is whether the box should be loaded with uk vpn or whether I can just get a vpn here in spain once the box arrives. Thanks
There is one supplier in the UK who sells a box specifically designed for use in Spain with a preloaded VPN and set up with all the UKTV options.

www.androidtvsolutions.com

I am trying one out at the moment and it seems pretty good and there is no ongoing monthly charge except for the VPN.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Manclass is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fred James
There is one supplier in the UK?? Waitining in who sells a box specifically designed for use in Spain with a preloaded VPN and set up with all the UKTV options.

www.androidtvsolutions.com

I am trying one out at the moment and it seems pretty good and there is no ongoing monthly charge except for the VPN.
Hi Fred.

I too live on the Granada Costa, will be particularly interested if you can let me know how you go on with your new Android box.
My internet speed isn't very good, not sure what yours is... thanks in advance....
Old Mar 12th 2014, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Manclass is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anybody on the forum had any dealings with:?

http://bb4s.com/index.html:

Can't find any up to date posts on them, they have an office near Torrox, sounds like quite a good solution.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 10:04 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I get 2.5MB consistently and that's fine for most TV streams. I can't get BBC iPlayer in HD at that speed - it needs nearer to 3.5. If you get below 1.5 you may have problems. Filmon is fairly low bandwidth compared to some so that might work below 1.5.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Manclass
Has anybody on the forum had any dealings with:?

http://bb4s.com/index.html:

Can't find any up to date posts on them, they have an office near Torrox, sounds like quite a good solution.

Thanks in advance.
Don't bother. They have major problems at the moment and are not taking on any more customers. As soon as everyone lost UKTV and started streaming they had a 600% increase is usage which has brought their network to its knees. The maximum speed they are now supplying, to existing customers, is 1.5MB and I doubt that they will even be able to maintain that.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Doesn't a vpn slow down the internet speed? I thought it better to use something like smarty DNS.

A question for all the techies. If I am using ipad to apple tv to smart TV where do i need to install the DNS - just the ipad or the tv as well? I guess if i want to access TV via the smart tv browser as well as ipad/appletv it needs to go on the TV as well.

BTW, isn't an "android box" the same as an android tablet without the screen but with EPG etc?

So couldn't you just use a cheap android tablet or, if apple fan, ipad + appleTV?

I was using BB4S until I left last Friday and was streaming all channels fine with a little buffering now and again. But BB4S have indeed stopped taking on new customers.

Last edited by frigilianafreddy; Mar 12th 2014 at 10:25 am.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
Doesn't a vpn slow down the internet speed? I thought it better to use something like smarty DNS.
Yes that's right I would avoid it if possible, I have noticed some SmartDns is better than others as in what you can view.

A question for all the techies. If I am using ipad to apple tv to smart TV where do i need to install the DNS - just the ipad or the tv as well? I guess if i want to access TV via the smart tv browser as well as ipad/appletv it needs to go on the TV as well.
Install it in the router DNS Settings.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 10:28 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

For the last two weeks were used a tablet as a trial to watch the BBC news and catch up on a few progs on I player via a Payg VPN.
We have a speed of 54mps.
With the laptop and tablet on we were getting freezing and buffering.
Using a VPN certainly does use a lot of capacity.Friends who have gone for a box and monthly subscription so that they can watch live UK tv are already finding that at busy times they too are getting interruptions. Usually during Corrie ( no accounting for taste ).
Old Mar 12th 2014, 10:38 am

It depends which VPN you use. The one in the box I am testing has negligible effect on speed and was chosen for that reason. It does also work with a Smart DNS but you need a VPN to access the UK Play Store if what you want is not in the Spanish store.

You will need to put a DNS in both the iPad, Apple TV and the TV for what you are proposing. If you can get your TV to give you all four UK iPlayers then it is debatable whether you need anything else.

Yes, an Android box is effectively the same as a decent Android tablet without a screen, but it has much better connectivity - HDMI, SD card slot, 3 USB ports and optical Audio and Video out.

The interface is better on a tablet as navigating around the TV screen with the remote control isn't the best experience. You can buy a wireless mouse/keyboard for about €20 which solves the problem.

Yes, BB4S said that 1.5 is all they can guarantee, but when there is not so much demand it could be better.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
For the last two weeks were used a tablet as a trial to watch the BBC news and catch up on a few progs on I player via a Payg VPN.
We have a speed of 54mps.
With the laptop and tablet on we were getting freezing and buffering.
Using a VPN certainly does use a lot of capacity.Friends who have gone for a box and monthly subscription so that they can watch live UK tv are already finding that at busy times they too are getting interruptions. Usually during Corrie ( no accounting for taste ).
54Mbps is very fast Do you have Wifi only ? are you unable to access the settings on the router ? or you rent it (internet) from someone else and cant ?

Look at the speedtests you get with VPN on and then VPN off, the only thing I can think is the speed is 54mbps through the line but the wireless signal is not that fast /strong..........also buffering is not just at your end, it could be overloaded at the other end i.e. the TV Stations server.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 11:04 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, isn't an "android box" the same as an android tablet without the screen but with EPG etc?

So couldn't you just use a cheap android tablet or, if apple fan, ipad + appleTV?

I was using BB4S until I left last Friday and was streaming all channels fine with a little buffering now and again. But BB4S have indeed stopped taking on new customers.
An android TV box is essentially and android tablet without the screen. An "EPG" depends on which apps you use. There are hundreds of "Internet TV" apps. Most are free, but there are some services that charge money.

If you have an iPad or iPhone, Apple TV is better, but it is less flexible than an Android TV box because you can't set up a VPN or smartDNS on it, AND you can't add peripherals like you can on an android box.

Most of the Android TV boxes come with a keyboard/navigation remote, but we just plugged in a €5 wireless mouse which seems to be a much easier and simpler way to run it. One nice thing about using a Bluetooth mouse is that you can tuck the Android box behind the TV - there doesn't need to be line of sight to the remote or mouse.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 11:19 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrich666
54Mbps is very fast Do you have Wifi only ? are you unable to access the settings on the router ? or you rent it (internet) from someone else and cant ?

Look at the speedtests you get with VPN on and then VPN off, the only thing I can think is the speed is 54mbps through the line but the wireless signal is not that fast /strong..........also buffering is not just at your end, it could be overloaded at the other end i.e. the TV Stations server.
54mps is the wifi speed , the router is provided by the cable company as they are our main scource of TV, UK is only for News and selected viewing.
In a few weeks I will be using my new laptop rather than the tablet and it will be interesting to see what if any any is the difference.
" Buffering " does seem to be a general problem which will probably get worse as demand grows when the tourists arrive and need their UK tv fix.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

The wifi speed is not really relevant to the speed of the internet though, basically if you have a 2Gb line it will broadcast 2Gb at 54mbps, you will only get what the cable is.

54Mbps wireless is not really good for the current age, it is Wireless 'G' which is pretty old technology now, you should ask if they can upgrade to a Wireless 'N' router, your devices will be Wireless 'N' enabled

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.