Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

uk passport renewal

uk passport renewal

Old Jul 9th 2009, 10:16 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk passport renewal

Originally Posted by Fred James
No, my passport is 9 years old so I have yet to experience this new, cutting edge technology, first hand.

Having read this thread assiduously I am starting to get excited about my pending passport renewal, especially the possibility that, for the first time in ten years, a courier company might actually find its way to our house!

But then, for the price they charge, personal delivery by helicopter ought to be a possibility!
Mmmmmm should be interesting Fred, with the new light cream or light grey backgrounds on white paper.
Mine was a white background on white paper, and when you slightly tilt the passport I have what looks like a pair of wings on my face, one each side of my eyes.
Maybe this is why they are so particular on the face being dead center and a certain distance from the camera.
There is also another wing type thing to the right over the text.
The watermark shows on my white photo background as it is greyish, but maybe not show ona grey background.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 10:25 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I have what looks like a pair of wings on my face, one each side of my eyes.
How angelic jdr - is there by any chance a little halo hovering over your head?
Old Jul 9th 2009, 10:28 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

How angelic jdr - is there by any chance a little halo hovering over your head?
Lol, now that is an impossibility for any designer to achieve.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

digdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud of

No, my passport is 9 years old so I have yet to experience this new, cutting edge technology, first hand.

Having read this thread assiduously I am starting to get excited about my pending passport renewal, especially the possibility that, for the first time in ten years, a courier company might actually find its way to our house!

But then, for the price they charge, personal delivery by helicopter ought to be a possibility!
lol - fred, i too was as equally amazed that a courier firm here could actually bother to find our place. that was as interesting as getting the passport back!
DD
Old Jul 13th 2009, 11:23 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Now we know why they charge so much for a passport.

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news...le_22301.shtml

New Mercs next!
Old Jul 13th 2009, 11:28 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Now we know why they charge so much for a passport.

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news...le_22301.shtml

New Mercs next!
A lot is added to the PP cost and goes into a repatriation fund too.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 4:10 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the UK at the moment, staying at our house. We will be here another month at least.

Can I renew my passport through the post in the UK or do I have to go in person?
Old Jul 29th 2009, 4:28 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
I am in the UK at the moment, staying at our house. We will be here another month at least.

Can I renew my passport through the post in the UK or do I have to go in person?
Post & my advice is to use the Post Office's dedicated passport checking/special service for a trouble free turnaround.

Brian
Old Jul 29th 2009, 4:53 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by playamonte
Post & my advice is to use the Post Office's dedicated passport checking/special service for a trouble free turnaround.

Brian
True, but don`t you have to be resident in the UK to use that service.
A passport is marked different when it is applied for from Spain, so if they find out you actually live in Spain there may be a problem ?
Old Jul 29th 2009, 5:03 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
A passport is marked different when it is applied for from Spain, so if they find out you actually live in Spain there may be a problem ?
Point taken I never noticed that the poster was in Spain, in that case please ignore my advice.

Brian
Old Jul 29th 2009, 5:26 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by playamonte
Point taken I never noticed that the poster was in Spain, in that case please ignore my advice.

Brian
I think they reside in both, I know what you mean.
The way they are with PP`s now i think a little care should be taken where to apply for them.
In the UK you have to apply in person and sign that you are a UK resident, the only other way if you are abroad is through the ripoff Consulate way.
There must be a reason to have a FCO stamp on them just above the signature.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
No you don't.

The Passport Office website makes it quite clear that a non-resident can renew while in the UK.

Non-UK residents

If you do not live in the UK, you can apply in person to renew your passport while visiting the UK. To do this you need to call the IPS Passport Adviceline on +44 (0)300 222 0000 to make an appointment at a Regional Passport Office. You must also provide an address in the UK to which IPS can post the new passport.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 5:51 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

No you don't.

The Passport Office website makes it quite clear that a non-resident can renew while in the UK.

Non-UK residents

If you do not live in the UK, you can apply in person to renew your passport while visiting the UK. To do this you need to call the IPS Passport Adviceline on +44 (0)300 222 0000 to make an appointment at a Regional Passport Office. You must also provide an address in the UK to which IPS can post the new passport.
Right, but do you still get charged the same as applying out here.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 6:08 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Right, but do you still get charged the same as applying out here.
I don't think so JDR.

I have been looking into passport renewal too as mine runs out next year and this year I discovered that since June 2009, the Embassy in Rome no longer handles British passports.

All our passport requests from Italy now have to be sent to bloody Paris and if the price wasn't already astronomical - we now have to pay an added 40 euro for a courier service.

Makes one wonder what the hell the British Embassy is actually doing in Rome these days?
Old Jul 29th 2009, 7:45 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

I have rung the Passport Office and asked them.

I can apply by post using the PO Service mentioned above and it is charged at UK rates.

I do not have to apply in person, I specifically asked that question.

I am Spanish Resident.

Thanks all for your input.

(edited to add, after reading the above extract from the Passport Office that says you have to apply in person: They still say I can post it as I have a UK address. I made it quite clear that I am Spanish Resident).

Last edited by scampicat; Jul 29th 2009 at 7:57 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.