British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   uk passport renewal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/uk-passport-renewal-612714/)

digdug Jun 3rd 2009 11:32 am

uk passport renewal

hi all,
has anyone recently applied for a uk passport renewal from spain?
is the only option to send of for it in madrid? i had a look on the passport website, and have contacted them, but no doubt it will take ages for them to reply. just wondering if its possible to apply through a consulate or somewhere, so as, for example, i could fire down to alicante to get mine.
:confused:
DD

Mitzyboy Jun 3rd 2009 11:34 am

Re: uk passport renewal

Originally Posted by digdug (Post 7629469)
hi all,
is the only option to send of for it in madrid? i had a look on the passport website, and have contacted them, but no doubt it will take ages for them to reply. just wondering if its possible to apply through a consulate or somewhere, so as, for example, i could fire down to alicante to get mine.
DD

Someone did tell me that you could go to Alicante, but I think that all they will do is receive it and send it to Madrid

We had to renew both of ours over the last year, and they have been quite efficient at Madrid. Make sure you get your photos spot on though, as they will send them back if they are not absolutely correct. Its bloody expensive as well!

spain Jun 3rd 2009 11:47 am

Originally Posted by digdug (Post 7629469)
hi all,
DD

when I did my sons I think it worked out cheaper to send it back to uk, so posted it to family with photos and they did it for us and posted it back

Mitzyboy Jun 3rd 2009 11:52 am

Originally Posted by spain (Post 7629503)
when I did my sons I think it worked out cheaper to send it back to uk, so posted it to family with photos and they did it for us and posted it back

Yes it will be for sure. You're not supposed to if you are not a UK resident, but I doubt they would be able to tell

spain Jun 3rd 2009 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 7629517)
Yes it will be for sure. You're not supposed to if you are not a UK resident, but I doubt they would be able to tell

no, I think you are right, youre not suppoed to but the biggest probem we had was getting photos the correct size as the booths we went to in Spain gave the wrong sizes...in the end we went to a shop in Gandia (3rd time lucky)

jdr Jun 3rd 2009 12:25 pm

Spanish ID photos sizes are different to UK, you just need to tell them it`s for a UK passport.
Be careful if you apply and make out you are in the UK because it is fraud, you have to apply through Madrid if you live here.

Mitzyboy Jun 3rd 2009 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by spain (Post 7629605)
no, I think you are right, youre not suppoed to but the biggest probem we had was getting photos the correct size as the booths we went to in Spain gave the wrong sizes...in the end we went to a shop in Gandia (3rd time lucky)

Heh heh. We went to a shop in the UK which did passport pics and they were wrong. Then we went to a shop in Gandia in the pedestrian area that did the same and they were wrong. We eventually went to a photographer

Zaragozaram Jun 3rd 2009 12:39 pm

Just renewed my daughters passport through Madrid, 109 euros for passport and courier service and it took three weeks from sending it to receiving it back. :thumbsup:

jdr Jun 3rd 2009 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Zaragozaram (Post 7629705)
Just renewed my daughters passport through Madrid, 109 euros for passport and courier service and it took three weeks from sending it to receiving it back. :thumbsup:

How was it so cheap ?

SueG Jun 3rd 2009 2:03 pm

Well I have just done one here in the office for a client and today it is €145 plus €16 courier fee. Usually back in two to three weeks.

Hondon Rock n Roll Jun 3rd 2009 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Zaragozaram (Post 7629705)

Is this just for a childs 5 year passport, as the adult 10 year passports are in the region of €150 plus the €16 DHL return fee?

Mitzyboy Jun 3rd 2009 2:14 pm

He did say it was for his daughter, so presume cheaper

SueG Jun 3rd 2009 2:16 pm

That´s right - under 16 - €92 plus courier fee

digdug Jun 3rd 2009 2:28 pm

ok, looks like i'm gonna have to send it to madrid.
can someone clear up a few queries please? (website isnt too clear)

1 documents to send - as i'm renewing an existing passport, is it correct that i only need to send passport, form c1, payment details and 2 photos.
i sooo hope this is correct, as i have no idea where my birth certificate is....

2 photos - the size i know, but are the photos the once that take up the whole canvas ie no border around them?

3 the only payment option (unless you collect, which aint gonna happen) is by visa or mastercard? (bugger thats going to be fun)

thanks
dd

Mitzyboy Jun 3rd 2009 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by digdug (Post 7630112)
ok, looks like i'm gonna have to send it to madrid.
can someone clear up a few queries please? (website isnt too clear)

1 documents to send - as i'm renewing an existing passport, is it correct that i only need to send passport, form c1, payment details and 2 photos.
i sooo hope this is correct, as i have no idea where my birth certificate is....

2 photos - the size i know, but are the photos the once that take up the whole canvas ie no border around them?

3 the only payment option (unless you collect, which aint gonna happen) is by visa or mastercard? (bugger thats going to be fun)

thanks
dd

SueG will know more, but yes theres a payment form
If I were you I would download the photograph stipulation page off the site in Spanish and take it to a proper photographer rather than a booth or a quick snap shop. Ive done both of these things and its a waste of time as I ended up with another courier fee