Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

uk passport renewal

uk passport renewal

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 9:57 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk passport renewal

We renewed ours last year, our daughter brought the forms over and we filled them in, she sent them off in England (£66 or something like that, I can't remember exactly) and posted them on to us. We sent photos but didn't need them countersigned as it was just a renewal.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 9:31 am
fed up with england

helenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
It has always said if you live abroad it has to be done through the Consulate or Embassy unless you apply in person in the UK embassy whilst you are there.
You naughty boy.
any thing for a easy life .
Old Jun 4th 2009, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helenba
hi there my farther has just renewed his pass port it worked out cheaper for him to fly to england go to peterbough passport office wait 2hrs and walk out with new one there and then flew back to almeria all done in one day.
Can anyone explain how it can possibly be easier to travel back to the UK just to get passports renewed?
Accepted, it costs more to get them through the Consulate in Madrid. But all you have to do is stick the application in the post. Job done.
But to go all the way to Peterborough?

For a start there is the flight cost - ok so maybe return flight for £50. Then there is the time to actually get to the airport, plus carparking for the duration. Then all the hanging around at the airport waiting for your flight and having to purchase their expensive refreshments. Then after a 2-3 hour flight you have to either get someone to collect you (hassle for them) or hire a car. Then there's the drive to Peterborough from whatever airport you land at (Stanstead? Luton?) not to mention the cost of UK petrol. Then there's the 2 hour wait at Peterborough passport office. Then you have to repeat the whole thing to get back to Spain.

Utter madness.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 11:16 am
fed up with england

helenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nice

apply for a passport in madrid night mare we did it last year had to wait nearly 3 mnths for new on to come through its ok if you have nothing to do we travel around alot. will not do it again .like i said my farther went to peterbough rang them up make appointment his flyts cost 40euros car cost 35 pounds for the day . passport 90.00 pounds on line booking get to the air port 45mins before flight . job done
Old Jun 4th 2009, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by helenba
apply for a passport in madrid night mare we did it last year had to wait nearly 3 mnths for new on to come through its ok if you have nothing to do we travel around alot. will not do it again .like i said my farther went to peterbough rang them up make appointment his flyts cost 40euros car cost 35 pounds for the day . passport 90.00 pounds on line booking get to the air port 45mins before flight . job done
Your bad experience with Madrid seems to be a one off. We have also renewed passports and had then returned within 3 weeks.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

digdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud of

i hope the madrid experience does appear pain-free as most seems to have been on this thread, as mine is due to expire in 4 weeks
just gotta get my photos done and off she goes!!
DD
Old Jun 4th 2009, 1:51 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

My renewal is due in November so I can't comment personally. However two friends have both renewed via Madrid in the last two weeks and the process went like clockwork.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

maisymay is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: uk passport renewal

Where do you live in spain?
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

digdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by maisymay
Where do you live in spain?
me? valencia for my sins
Old Jun 4th 2009, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
My renewal is due in November so I can't comment personally. However two friends have both renewed via Madrid in the last two weeks and the process went like clockwork.
I also never have any problems with the ones that I apply for, for clients
Old Jun 5th 2009, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
SueG will know more, but yes theres a payment form
If I were you I would download the photograph stipulation page off the site in Spanish and take it to a proper photographer rather than a booth or a quick snap shop. Ive done both of these things and its a waste of time as I ended up with another courier fee
hi mitzy, is there a spanish version of the photo stipulations? i cannae find it, but it may well be an idea for me to take it along to the photo shop if there is one.
DD
Old Jun 5th 2009, 7:49 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I've just found out that the Embassy in Rome has just stopped doing passport applications and everything for us Brits here in Italy will now be processed at a Paris office.

We also have to use a courier service so that puts the price up by 21 euro each way. Bloody annoying.

I think I read that it is the same for folks in Malta as well now so if anybody is there, you'd better check.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

We've just renewed two passports through Madrid and everything went very smoothly. Had them returned in about two weeks.

Getting the photos was the most complicated bit but we just printed off the requirements from the embassy website and took it to a photographers.

A good deal easier than wasting an entire day travelling back to the UK. Popping over to Peterborough might be ok if you have nothing better to do but we're pretty busy in Spain.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: uk passport renewal UPDATE

hi all,
well, just over 3 weeks and my spanky new passport is with me
even delivered to my door by dhl - and thats something neither tnt or ups have been been able to achieve, even though our urb is right beside town, with a map!
so anyone worrying about posting to madrid for your passport renewal, heres another satisfied punter.

DD
Old Jul 7th 2009, 2:17 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk passport renewal UPDATE

Originally Posted by digdug
hi all,
well, just over 3 weeks and my spanky new passport is with me
even delivered to my door by dhl - and thats something neither tnt or ups have been been able to achieve, even though our urb is right beside town, with a map!
so anyone worrying about posting to madrid for your passport renewal, heres another satisfied punter.

DD
No trouble with ours either, apart from the rip off price. ,-(

Just a question for those that know.
If you send it to Madrid and they send it on to be renewed, they allow photos to have a white background (as in all Spanish ID photos) but if you read the booklet when applying in the UK you have to have light cream or light grey ?

Last edited by jdr; Jul 7th 2009 at 2:22 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.