Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK Driving licences

UK Driving licences

Old May 12th 2007, 12:03 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Driving licences

Originally Posted by Fred James
EU directives are just that - directives.

When the EU issues a directive, member states are given a certain amount of time to implement that directive in their own laws. If they fail to do so the EU can take action against them but the EU cannot change the law in Spain. Until the King has signed the papers it is not part of Spanish law.

Incidentally, the current law in Spain regarding licences is quite clearly fully in compliance with the relevant EU directive.
At the end of the day i dont care its all a load of jibbawoky to me but here in france its sorted you just go to the prefecture and they register the license on the database and issue you with a piece of paper to show the police. who dont know what its is. the best solution is to find a large cardboard box get in it and dont use the car.
Old May 12th 2007, 2:51 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
At the end of the day i dont care its all a load of jibbawoky to me but here in france its sorted you just go to the prefecture and they register the license on the database and issue you with a piece of paper to show the police. who dont know what its is. the best solution is to find a large cardboard box get in it and dont use the car.
It's the same in Spain if you get your licence endorsed. They print your NIE number into the plastic and that's it.

It's still a lot simpler to exchange it for a nice new Spanish one.
Old May 13th 2007, 6:49 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

No humble pie - I suggest that the people who think that you don't have to do anything offer to pay any fines dished out. I know of a case two months ago, it cost 315 euros for the fine. That was in the Cadiz area. Also a friend in Valencia had the same.
The real question is WHY don't you want to change your licence (18 euros cost) if you live in Spain. Do you want to integrate into the Spanish community or are you one of those who want a piece of land that is forever England.
The links are on the web but are not Spanish law. Spanish law is dished out by the man with a gun that has had a bad day. To anyone following this thread, it makes life simpler to change your licence if you live here and have a residencia card. If you have not changed your licence, tell the copper you are on a long (but less than 6 months) holiday here, and still live in England normally.
As I said, are you lot being stupid or what, what we need is less hassle or are you lot trying to upset newcomers?

Dave
Old May 13th 2007, 8:57 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
No humble pie - I suggest that the people who think that you don't have to do anything offer to pay any fines dished out. I know of a case two months ago, it cost 315 euros for the fine. That was in the Cadiz area. Also a friend in Valencia had the same.
The real question is WHY don't you want to change your licence (18 euros cost) if you live in Spain. Do you want to integrate into the Spanish community or are you one of those who want a piece of land that is forever England.
The links are on the web but are not Spanish law. Spanish law is dished out by the man with a gun that has had a bad day. To anyone following this thread, it makes life simpler to change your licence if you live here and have a residencia card. If you have not changed your licence, tell the copper you are on a long (but less than 6 months) holiday here, and still live in England normally.
As I said, are you lot being stupid or what, what we need is less hassle or are you lot trying to upset newcomers?
Dave
OMG, stop being so rude! Maybe its simpler, maybe its not. Maybe some people want to be sure that they are going to stay here before doing such a thing and having the hassle to change back .... I don't know. But what I do know is that no one here is trying to upset newcomers .... this forum has a long tradition of helping them, and its only when newcomers with attitude come on here that hackles get raised!

For your information, I have a letter (and its in free beer I think) from the Traffico confirming that a UK licence is satisfactory. It HAS been shown when people have been stopped, and it HAS been accepted.

Give less attitude and you'll find this is a friendly and helpful place!
Old May 13th 2007, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

skippernicky is on a distinguished road

Well said Mitzy.
Tell you what i'm going to do.......
Apply for a Uk card type.........Lost my paper one if you know what I mean!!!
When I get to Spain i'll exchange my paper one (Oh dear found it when I was packing all my gear) for a Spanish one.
Dont peck shit with the Chickens when you can fly with the Eagles.
Old May 13th 2007, 1:51 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skippernicky
Well said Mitzy.
Tell you what i'm going to do.......
Apply for a Uk card type.........Lost my paper one if you know what I mean!!!
When I get to Spain i'll exchange my paper one (Oh dear found it when I was packing all my gear) for a Spanish one.
Dont peck shit with the Chickens when you can fly with the Eagles.
And when you exchange your "lost" licence for a Spanish one, they send it back to the UK - that's when the chicken shit hits the fan!