Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK Driving licences

UK Driving licences

Old Apr 27th 2007, 5:49 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Driving licences

Originally Posted by keithwalters
You obviously don´t know me very well.
Extremely heavy right foot, nothing you can do about it, birth deformity...... and I thought that it was only me.

Rosemary
Old Apr 28th 2007, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

Big_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Extremely heavy right foot, nothing you can do about it, birth deformity...... and I thought that it was only me.

Rosemary

Have just been down to to the Gestor and all is well, as regards the licencing, and RESPECTS to BEACHCOMBER who has lived tha same amount of time as me and he probably speaks some Spanish as well

The only difference is I am from a Spanish Family ....and I have some Guardia in me mi familia
Old May 10th 2007, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

midget gem will become famous soon enough

ok, so i amstill confused? Can somebody please tell me what to do?
I am moving to Benalmadena for at least 6 months from UK. The place i live in, in the UK is rented and when i move to Benalmadena i will no longer have a permanent residence in the UK. So, does this mean i should apply for a Spanish DL? Or, should i just change my UK DL to state my parents address so that after 6 months if i come back i can again alter the address to a new permanent UK address?
Old May 11th 2007, 5:58 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by midget gem
ok, so i amstill confused? Can somebody please tell me what to do?
I am moving to Benalmadena for at least 6 months from UK. The place i live in, in the UK is rented and when i move to Benalmadena i will no longer have a permanent residence in the UK. So, does this mean i should apply for a Spanish DL? Or, should i just change my UK DL to state my parents address so that after 6 months if i come back i can again alter the address to a new permanent UK address?
Read the bit near the bottom in the free beer thread at the top of page, a quote from DVLA regarding moving to a different part of EU.
Old May 11th 2007, 8:57 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

I still have a valid UK address, it is our family home where our son still lives. I am still registered to vote in the UK at this address. Therefore, as I understand,in these circumstances a UK photocard driving licence is perfectly legal throughout the EU.

Correct?
Old May 11th 2007, 9:17 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
I still have a valid UK address, it is our family home where our son still lives. I am still registered to vote in the UK at this address. Therefore, as I understand,in these circumstances a UK photocard driving licence is perfectly legal throughout the EU.

Correct?
A UK photo driving license is valid in Spain, doesn't matter where you live, it is still valid. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE IT CHANGED. This is what is in the thread at the start of the forum called 'Free Beer'
Old May 11th 2007, 11:05 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
A UK photo driving license is valid in Spain, doesn't matter where you live, it is still valid. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE IT CHANGED. This is what is in the thread at the start of the forum called 'Free Beer'
Thanks, this is what I thought (and read it in FRee Beer). So when people tell me it is not valid and I tell them it is, even though you no longer live at that address, then they are just talking through their ar$es.

Friends of mine insist that if you do not have a valid UK address (although we personally have) then you have to have a Spanish licence. The DVLA themselves told me you only needed a correspondence address and that the photocard licence was perfectly legal..

No-one seems to listen to me though, so I don't tell them now.
Old May 11th 2007, 9:03 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Are you lot stupid or what (JDR included). Your free beer information is wrong.
If you are resident in Spain then the Spanish law applies, it can not be overridden by anyone, and it states that residents in Spain must hold a valid SPANISH licence. So change it. An English licence is not valid for a Spanish RESIDENT. So to get away with it, simply show your passport and say you are on holiday. The fines are upwards of 300 euros for not having a Spanish Licence.
However, if you are a genuine holidaymaker, then the Spanish law allows you under an EU directive to drive here.
You can drive in England on a Spanish licence if you are resident in Spain, and you can hire a car etc.
As Beachcomber says, in 2012 everything changes (which law do you know of that is implemented on time).
Dave Fisher
Old May 11th 2007, 9:08 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

If you are resident in Spain then the Spanish law applies, it can not be overridden by anyone, and it states that residents in Spain must hold a valid SPANISH licence. So change it. An English licence is not valid for a Spanish RESIDENT. So to get away with it, simply show your passport and say you are on holiday. The fines are upwards of 300 euros for not having a Spanish Licence.
However, if you are a genuine holidaymaker, then the Spanish law allows you under an EU directive to drive here.
You can drive in England on a Spanish licence if you are resident in Spain, and you can hire a car etc.
As Beachcomber says, in 2012 everything changes (which law do you know of that is implemented on time).
Dave Fisher
That is incorrect EU directives over ride spanish law french etc and the EU directive passed A WHILE ago i forget the date. it states that no one has to change their license so get you facts correct.
Old May 11th 2007, 9:12 pm

Heres the directive

EXCHANGING OF DRIVING LICENCE

Top INFORMATION ON COMMUNITY LAW

If holders of driving licences changed residence or place of work from one Member State to another they used to have to exchange their licence within one year (Directive 80/1263/EEC). This obligation was abolished on 1 July 1996 and exchanging of driving licences has been voluntary since then.
In the event of voluntary exchange, loss or theft, the Member State in which holders have taken up their normal residence will issue the person concerned with a Community model driving licence for the corresponding category or categories without requiring that person to take a theoretical or practical test.

http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/nav/e...ex_en.html#266
Old May 11th 2007, 10:11 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

Dave Fisher
Errrrrmm....... click on the link in The European licence at lastHERE and you will get the full directive, read it and have a beer with your humble pie. ;-)

Last edited by jdr; May 11th 2007 at 10:16 pm.
Old May 11th 2007, 10:13 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't know how many times we have to go over this but Spanish law (which takes precedence over EU directives) says quite clearly that non Spanish, EU driving licences do NOT have to be exchanged or endorsed but the choice is still there to do so if you wish.

What it also says is that, irrespective of the rules that apply in the country of issue, you are bound by the rules that apply to a Spanish national regarding renewals and medical checks.

This has been covered so many times before that I am amazed that there is still any misunderstanding on this subject.
Old May 12th 2007, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Fred James
I really don't know how many times we have to go over this but Spanish law (which takes precedence over EU directives) says quite clearly that non Spanish, EU driving licences do NOT have to be exchanged or endorsed but the choice is still there to do so if you wish.

What it also says is that, irrespective of the rules that apply in the country of issue, you are bound by the rules that apply to a Spanish national regarding renewals and medical checks.

This has been covered so many times before that I am amazed that there is still any misunderstanding on this subject.
Directives override the law in member states. And should the member state cause problems as an eu citizen its off to court in you take the member state. this has happened in france regarding driving lic as the most gendarmie do not know that eu citizens no longer have to exchange licenses

But i hope Dxf likes his humble pie do you need some cream with it

Last edited by Ka Ora!; May 12th 2007 at 6:50 am.
Old May 12th 2007, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

I'm not even going to bother any more. People can make their own choice of what they want to believe and take the consequences of doing so.
Old May 12th 2007, 11:54 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Directives override the law in member states.
EU directives are just that - directives.

When the EU issues a directive, member states are given a certain amount of time to implement that directive in their own laws. If they fail to do so the EU can take action against them but the EU cannot change the law in Spain. Until the King has signed the papers it is not part of Spanish law.

Incidentally, the current law in Spain regarding licences is quite clearly fully in compliance with the relevant EU directive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.