Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK Driving licences

UK Driving licences

Old Apr 26th 2007, 4:53 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Driving licences

Beachcomber read the bottom paragraph from the DVLA in free beer thread, it says they are ok till they expire even with the wrong address on as per directive.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 4:55 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
See paragraph 2 of item 2 of this entry in the EU web site:

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/home/d...les/006_en.htm

2. Exceptions

Article 1(3) of Directive 91/439/EEC establishes an exception to this general principle of mutual recognition. It is noted that « Where the holder of a valid national driving licence takes up normal residence in a Member State other than that which issued the licence, the host Member State may apply to the holder of the licence its national rules on the period of validity of the licence, medical checks and tax arrangements and may enter on the licence any information indispensable for administration. »

* With regard to the period of validity of driving licences, Directive 91/439/EEC therefore allows Member States to apply their national provisions. In practice, the validity arrangements vary from one Member State to another. This means that a different period of validity, shorter for example, can be applied to the holder of a licence, in the event of change of residence.
* With regard to the interval between medical examinations, this has not been harmonised by Community legislation. In the majority of the Member States, it coincides with the period of validity.
* Driving licences issued by a non-member country and recognised by a Member State, are not recognised reciprocally in a systematic manner, even in the eventual case that the licence has been exchanged for a Community model in the meantime. It is therefore advisable to contact the competent national authorities.
* Member States are not obliged to recognise driving licences issued to persons aged under 18.

So, a UK licence is only valid for the same periods as a Spanish one after which it will have to be exchanged 'the host Member State may apply to the holder of the licence its national rules on the period of validity of the licence, medical checks and tax arrangements' and the authorities can insist on it going through the validation procedure 'and may enter on the licence any information indispensable for administration'.

Furthermore, if you have a UK licence with an invalid UK address and it is lost or stolen in cannot be replaced and you will either have to prove in some way that you have passed the UK driving test or will have to sit a Spanish test in order to obtain a new licence.

Easier all round just to exchange it for a Spanish one!
It is probably the easiest and most straightforward bit of red tape that we have done so far.

Rosemary
Old Apr 26th 2007, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jdr
Beachcomber read the bottom paragraph from the DVLA in free beer thread, it says they are ok till they expire even with the wrong address on as per directive.
That quote is from DVLA and is qualified by this proviso:

'You should however check with the appropriate driving licensing authorities where you are now resident for information on any conditions that the host member state may stipulate'

The EU directive is quite clear and unambiguous unlike the quote from the DVLA which is not know for the accuracy of its information.

I don't think the Guardia or police are going to take much notice of a foreign licensing agency especially if the information is flawed.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Big_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really nice

Ditto what JDR has posted a few times

I had a Spanish licence for a while but I returned it to my Gestor, because they would not give me the same as my U.K. licence, and it meant taking another exam so I told them they could keep it and that I was returning my licence to traffico and would be driving as per my right of the Eureopean Union.

That was a few years ago and I have been stopped towing with big 4ton trailers, 9mtr motorhomes with trailers and have been checked out and all has been O.K.

Maybe it is because I will argue with them and others will not, it is my right.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 5:41 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

That quote is from DVLA and is qualified by this proviso:

'You should however check with the appropriate driving licensing authorities where you are now resident for information on any conditions that the host member state may stipulate'

The EU directive is quite clear and unambiguous unlike the quote from the DVLA which is not know for the accuracy of its information.

I don't think the Guardia or police are going to take much notice of a foreign licensing agency especially if the information is flawed.
There is a link to the whole directive there confirming what DVLA are saying.
Its from an EU directive not a foreign licensing agency.

Last edited by jdr; Apr 26th 2007 at 5:43 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Big_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
There is a link to the whole directive there confirming what DVLA are saying.
Its from an EU directive not a foreign licensing agency.
And also a letter which anyone can get from the EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT STAMPED BY THE BRITISH CONSULAR MADRID and it's yonks old

NEXT
Old Apr 26th 2007, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Sorry JDR, I can't find the link to the EU directive in that thread. Could you point me to it please.

The much photocopied letter I have seen on this subject is the one from the Spanish DGT to the British Embassy dated 5th October 2004

in which paragraph 3 refers to the periods of validity ie, in the case of group 1 licences, ten years from the date of residencia up until 45 years of age, five years up to the age of 70 then two years and the necessity for a medical certificate to accompany the renewal of the licence.

Is there another one?
Old Apr 26th 2007, 7:14 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Sorry JDR, I can't find the link to the EU directive in that thread. Could you point me to it please.

The much photocopied letter I have seen on this subject is the one from the Spanish DGT to the British Embassy dated 5th October 2004

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l4.../drivel2hr.jpg

in which paragraph 3 refers to the periods of validity ie, in the case of group 1 licences, ten years from the date of residencia up until 45 years of age, five years up to the age of 70 then two years and the necessity for a medical certificate to accompany the renewal of the licence.

Is there another one?
Its in The Foreigner And The Car, just above the DVLA quote HERE link to pdf file just below "index to this page window"
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

But that directive deals with proposals for a harmonisied EU driving licence and although it was due to be passed at the end of last year it will not be applicable until 2012.

We are still at the stage of mutual recognition of member state driving licences by other member states which is still governed by existing law so age restrictions and medical requirements still apply, as indicated by the DGT letter above, and presumably will continue to do so until the true European driving licences are gradually issued.

If you click on the link at the bottom of that PDF Memo it takes you back to the existing law to which I gave the link.

This whole thing doesn't really concern me as I have a Spanish driving licence which allows me to drive virtually anything with wheels but I think we need to discuss this fully to ensure that other people don't inadvertently break the law by driving with a UK licence which is invalid because of their age and we must not lose sight of the fact that if your UK licence is lost or stolen you cannot obtain a replacement if it bears an invalid address.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Lis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to all

if your UK licence is lost or stolen you cannot obtain a replacement if it bears an invalid address.
With respect Beach, my English driving license was stolen a couple of weeks ago and it had an invalid address on it. Yes you can get a replacement. You send the paper part to the DVLA with an address of a relative etc. as they won´t send the duplicate abroad and enclose also a D1 application form to report a stolen licence. Changing the address is free, duplicating the license when it has been stolen, costs 19 pounds. They just need an address where you stay when coming back to the UK they said, presumably for paying speeding fines! The annoying thing is that you can´t download D1, have to have THAT sent to someone in UK and sent on to you. So I agree they don´t make it easy!
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:04 am
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I would add another one to the mix -

what happens if you decide to go back to the UK for a holiday with your UK licence and rent a car. If the police stop you, you have an incorrect address on the licence which is illegal by UK law.

But more worryingly, if you cannot supply the British police with an address which is "suitable for summons", ie your British address (which you don´t have) they cannot report you for the offence. So you get ARRESTED! Eek.

(Happens all the time with foreigners driving on British roads - if they get caught for speeding or any other relatively minor offence they can´t be given fixed penalties so have to be arrested instead).
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:16 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithwalters
Just thought I would add another one to the mix -

what happens if you decide to go back to the UK for a holiday with your UK licence and rent a car. If the police stop you, you have an incorrect address on the licence which is illegal by UK law.

But more worryingly, if you cannot supply the British police with an address which is "suitable for summons", ie your British address (which you don´t have) they cannot report you for the offence. So you get ARRESTED! Eek.

(Happens all the time with foreigners driving on British roads - if they get caught for speeding or any other relatively minor offence they can´t be given fixed penalties so have to be arrested instead).
No problem if you stay within the law though.

Rosemary
Old Apr 27th 2007, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

el sid is an unknown quantity at this point

I seem to have opened up quite a discussion on this topic.
Thank you for all your comments I'll just need to decide what to do next!!
Old Apr 27th 2007, 4:38 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by el sid
I seem to have opened up quite a discussion on this topic.
Thank you for all your comments I'll just need to decide what to do next!!
Don`t worry about it, the topic turns up quite regular. ;-)
Another 20 or 30 years and the EU will sort it out. Lol
Old Apr 27th 2007, 5:42 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
No problem if you stay within the law though.

Rosemary

You obviously don´t know me very well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.