Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK banks closing accounts for no-residents

UK banks closing accounts for no-residents

Old Jan 2nd 2023, 4:39 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK banks closing accounts for no-residents

Originally Posted by spainrico
What is a 'basic' account?
They don't allow you to go overdrawn, i.e. like most Spanish current accounts.
Old Jan 2nd 2023, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
Was in HSBC on Friday. Trying to still open son's account. There are numerous problems. Firstly, these problems are just being found out by HSBC staff. They relate to various separate requirements which together prevent an account opening. I was there for an hour and they tried to help but after numerous attempts at changing addresses, up loading documents it still wasn't letting us open an account as various Brexit restrictions are now in play. Firstly, they wanted to update my identity and address. I had taken a whole file of documents so was prepared. I have been a customer for 40 years. Now they needed an update on address. They asked for EU license- but won't work as the system will only accept driving licence at point of application for new customers!!No problem a tax letter from uk had my address. However, as soon as the system saw a Spanish address it required a non-uk tax residency form to be completed. No problem as I had my Spanish tax number etc. Then it wouldn't process it and the staff member said they couldn't over rule the system manually. So next we tried using my uk house address. Worked except then it required me to be a UK tax resident which meant lying which even staff weren't sure what to do. In the end we tried to focus on my son but same problems kept occurring with non uk tax residency as the form required him to submit a tax number. Another problem was trying to register the Spanish address as the fields are arranged for uk address and not Spanish. This means you have to ignore everything like post code but fill each field with lines of your address. Anyway, we ended up doing scans of passports, utility bills etc and the staff said they would do everything and even gave me the branch email and dedicated staff member. Said would contact me Saturday but never did. Sent them email but no reply. Maybe will hear something later but it definitely proves things are not working as they advertise. My advice is don't mention spain. Use a UK address and say you are a UK resident then update to your Spanish address and ignore the tax residency letter if they send it.
You may have mentioned earlier but have you contacted HSBC in Jersey for expat banking ? ….. I opened an account with them as a fallback but my HSBC UK and UAE accounts work perfectly well so I rarely use it. That said I’m using Wise and Revolut for most things these days particularly Spain/Canarias.
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 8:52 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
They don't allow you to go overdrawn, i.e. like most Spanish current accounts.
There are other major differences too.

Ronnyone - if the bank says 'NO', then report them to the FCA. Ultimately, they have to abide by the law
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
There are other major differences too.

Ronnyone - if the bank says 'NO', then report them to the FCA. Ultimately, they have to abide by the law
On the HSBC link that I put on it says at the end you should apply for a standard account and if not accepted for that they will automatically offer you a basic account.