Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK banks closing accounts for no-residents

UK banks closing accounts for no-residents

Old Sep 7th 2022, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: UK banks closing accounts for no-residents

Not Barclays. I am still using my UK bank for other purposes. I have been with them since about 1966 and have not been asked to remove myself.
Old Sep 7th 2022, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

OK good news!
Old Sep 7th 2022, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcbernard
Not Barclays. I am still using my UK bank for other purposes. I have been with them since about 1966 and have not been asked to remove myself.
Have you registered your spanish address with them and do they send cards etc to your Spanish address? Initially Barclays accepted my Spanish address however they refused when my wife tried to change her address on the same joint account to accept spanish address for her? They then said I couldn't also keep the account if a Spanish resident. They suggested using a family members address but all cards mail etc would be delivered to thst address and our responsibility to forward them to Spain. I wasn't prepared to do that and basically lie with the implications it may have on bank protection if needed. So I opened HSBC account and closed my Barclays one. Barclays final answer was only legal route for someone resident in Spain was to open a Barclay's International account but amount required to hold for free banking was restrictive.
Old Sep 7th 2022, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough

I have been totally web based since many years with all correspondence from the bank coming via email. They know my Spanish address, and the UK one too, and they give no trouble. This is Lloyds, just to put your mind at rest. They do not advertise widely that there is an email address for "contactus" but I have only just discovered it!
Old Sep 7th 2022, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
Still nothing from Lloyds....

Aviva say they will pay into Wise

Does anybody know if UK Government will pay state pension into Wise? (save me hours on the phone!)
Yes, mine is paid into my Wise Euro account in Belgium
Old Sep 7th 2022, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

I have been totally web based since many years with all correspondence from the bank coming via email. They know my Spanish address, and the UK one too, and they give no trouble. This is Lloyds, just to put your mind at rest. They do not advertise widely that there is an email address for "contactus" but I have only just discovered it!
Out of interest where do they send your cards ?
Old Sep 7th 2022, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevesainty
Yes, mine is paid into my Wise Euro account in Belgium
Sorry I misread your previous post and thought you were replying that Barclays was still ok with account holder being Spanish resident. My apologies
Old Sep 8th 2022, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Stevesainty - good news!
Old Sep 8th 2022, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

I enquired, by email, from the paying organisation whether my Wise account was suitable to receive my state pension. This was nearly a month ago. Their prompt reply was that it was indeed possible but needed a written request. I submitted the written application to change the bank, operative on 2 September. The pension went to the old bank! I am waiting to see if they have opened last month's post yet, come the 30th!
I have done the same and it finally went into my chosen account some 6 weeks later

Steve
Old Sep 9th 2022, 4:45 am
Just Joined

Bachelor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Joddle
My UK bank, Lloyds, has said it will be closing my current account as I am not a UK resident. The main issue is all my pensions etc are paid into that account as are some DDs for various things in the UK and as I pay UK tax on my Civil Service pension I did not want to change if possible. It seems most UK banks are doing the same - so what ae other people doing? - And is on line banking an option? or are there any banks in the UK that offer current accounts for non- residents? I tried contacting HSBC but their own staff could not tell me although on their website they indicate they do!! Anyone know any better?
I thought this was just relevant to UK expats in Europe; not in America, Asia e.t.c??
Old Sep 9th 2022, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bachelor
I thought this was just relevant to UK expats in Europe; not in America, Asia e.t.c??
It is a change for those of us resident in the EU. If your UK bank holds licences to bank in your country of residence then this will not affect you.
Old Dec 18th 2022, 11:31 am
Josh in Spain

Joddle is an unknown quantity at this point

Now it is well past the deadline date set out in the email and the bank has not closed my account yet!!! - Meanwhile I have managed to register with HSBC as suggested and that is working fine so my bank does try and close me down I can at least move pretty fast and swap over !
Old Dec 18th 2022, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Now it is well past the deadline date set out in the email and the bank has not closed my account yet!!! - Meanwhile I have managed to register with HSBC as suggested and that is working fine so my bank does try and close me down I can at least move pretty fast and swap over !
HSBC have just refused to open a uk account for my son because he is a Spanish resident!!!. We did it online where it says in the ad that you can be resident of EEA but when we submitted the application it said we needed to be uk residents. I have spoken to them numerous times and the say different things- the system though requires a uk address and some proof of uk residency. Going to try over Christmas in a branch to see what they say
Old Dec 18th 2022, 5:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
HSBC have just refused to open a uk account for my son because he is a Spanish resident!!!. We did it online where it says in the ad that you can be resident of EEA but when we submitted the application it said we needed to be uk residents. I have spoken to them numerous times and the say different things- the system though requires a uk address and some proof of uk residency. Going to try over Christmas in a branch to see what they say
Global Britain.
Old Dec 18th 2022, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.