Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

eSIM for Apple Watch

eSIM for Apple Watch

Old Dec 28th 2022, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute
Default eSIM for Apple Watch

I'm pulling my hair out with this one as I can't seem to get a direct answer on the web or in store. Hopefully someone here can help me out.

I want to get the Apple Watch with cellular connectivity so I can leave the brick at home. You need an eSIM to do this. In the US, also the UK I think, you need an extra contract/subscription for the watch. I believe it's not the case here in Spain and the Genius bar confirmed this, but I'm not convinced. I'm currently with Digi and as much as it pains me to move the SIMs away from them they don't currently provide eSIMs.

I've already been to the Genius bar and they said to just buy the watch and sort out the eSIM later with either:
Vodafone - Not happening. I've been sting twice already.
Orange - I can't find their T&C's specifically for eSIM on Apple Watch.
Movistar - It seems they provide them and you don't need to pay extra for the watch option. They currently have a deal for 60GB at 10.83/month which is pretty close to the Digi offer.

The obvious answer is go to the provider store directly but I've also been stung with ill-informed/misleading sales people so I'm hoping to get some real life answers.

Has anyone got an Apple Watch with cellular connectivity on a Spanish eSIM? If so, could you share your setup, cost and experience please. Do you have just one contract or do you have to pay extra for the watch option?

To filter the answers:
It must be an Apple watch and it must have cellular.
It must use a Spanish contract.
I don't want to keep my existing SIM and add on an eSIM. I want eSIM only so I only pay for one contract.
I'm not interested in the costs of UK roaming or the reasons behind it. When I travel outside of the EU I buy a local SIM/eSIM.
Old Dec 28th 2022, 9:27 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: eSIM for Apple Watch

This may help:

eSIM en España: todas las operadoras, dispositivos compatibles, precios y condiciones (2022)

Seems like only the big three operators let you share the eSIM between your phone and watch (OneNumber/MultiSIM).

Last edited by DLC; Dec 28th 2022 at 9:31 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2022, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. That was my fear. It's a bit cheeky of them all to charge extra per month to share the card with a watch but I guess where there's a demand they can do whatever they want.

I think I'll wait for Digi to release something as the other operators are taking liberties with their price plans.
Old Dec 30th 2022, 10:58 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Seems they've decided to treat an second eSIM like a second physical SIM as far as pricing goes, and will carry on doing that until one of the smaller operators brings something cheaper or free out, but it won't be from O2, Lowi, or Simyo as those belong to the big three anyway.
Old Jan 2nd 2023, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanNico
Thanks. That was my fear. It's a bit cheeky of them all to charge extra per month to share the card with a watch but I guess where there's a demand they can do whatever they want.

I think I'll wait for Digi to release something as the other operators are taking liberties with their price plans.
It’s fairly common globally to be charged for the AW esim even though it’s shared. It’s a good earner for the networks if you consider the number of AW’s around the world. Having said that for the functionality that you get to me it’s a bargain.
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UKMS
It’s fairly common globally to be charged for the AW esim even though it’s shared. It’s a good earner for the networks if you consider the number of AW’s around the world. Having said that for the functionality that you get to me it’s a bargain.
Yes, my issue is being a tight wad. With another provider I would pay 25 per month for what currently costs me 6. Add on the extra fee for the eSIM and for 2 watches I'm paying more than I pay for 1GB fiber and 3 SIMs. So, my refusal means I'll have to wait for Digi to roll out eSIMs.
I looked at moving everything to Movistar but to get the same features as Digi supply me would cost me over 100 per month, double what I pay now. The ironic thing is the Digi service is delivered over Movistar infrastructure. The alternative is to get the watch without cellular service but that's the only reason I want it, so I can leave the brick at home.