Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK banks closing accounts for no-residents

UK banks closing accounts for no-residents

Old Dec 19th 2022, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK banks closing accounts for no-residents

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
HSBC have just refused to open a uk account for my son because he is a Spanish resident!!!. We did it online where it says in the ad that you can be resident of EEA but when we submitted the application it said we needed to be uk residents. I have spoken to them numerous times and the say different things- the system though requires a uk address and some proof of uk residency. Going to try over Christmas in a branch to see what they say
Could it be that your son had never been UK resident so no means of UK credit reference maybe? Just guessing as I had no issue setting up an HSBC account from Spain as Spanish resident. Only thing I couldn't do was the automatic switch thing from Barclays where they transfer all your details and payments etc. Because I was Spanish resident for some reason I had to manually do that but it wasn't really a big deal. I also had to get two signatures proving I was the person my passport. I got one done by a neighbour and one done at notary office. I do have annual P60s as my pension is crown pension. I can't understand why it was so easy really for me to set up yet not possible for your son. Does he have access to the requirements they show re identity? This link shows what they say they need https://www.hsbc.co.uk/current-accou...ence%20permit.
Old Dec 19th 2022, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

I have just visited th HSBC UK website as if to open a new account, straight away I was aksed for country of residency and it rejected it when i input Spain.

Old Dec 19th 2022, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

I have an awful feeling that HSBC are going to close accounts of non uk residents! They told me categorically in August that the branch near my mother was not closing but I read today it will close in January. I really don't trust them. The phone companies promised the same about roaming charges but slowly here in Spain they are all changing. The effects of Brexit on banking was always going to be complex and take time to filter down to the customer. Why would other UK banks be closing non residents accounts and consequently be losing customers to HSBC if there wasn't a pretty serious reason?

Last edited by Ronnyone; Dec 19th 2022 at 10:05 am.
Old Dec 19th 2022, 10:19 am
Josh in Spain

Joddle is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an awful feeling that HSBC are going to close accounts of non uk residents! They told me categorically in August that the branch near my mother was not closing but I read today it will close in January. I really don't trust them. The phone companies promised the same about roaming charges but slowly here in Spain they are all changing. The effects of Brexit on banking was always going to be complex and take time to filter down to the customer. Why would other UK banks be closing non residents accounts and consequently be losing customers to HSBC if there wasn't a pretty serious reason?
If that is going to be true then there is not point me changing all my direct debits and payments in from one UK bank to HSBC! In fact then how do I get me pensions etc paid to me? I have property in the UK so can I transfer my accounts to that address even though I am not resident in the UK?
Old Dec 19th 2022, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

This is an example of how bad Brexit has been and will get. Experts repeatedly warned that it was something that would be very complex and would take time to fully happen but slowly all the little things are happening. By 2028 all uk nationals living in EU wanting to return to go to UK universities will be classified as international fee payers with no access to student loans or uk busaries- is anyone warning young British families living in Spain this?? No! Because that is what Brexiteers call Project Fear!!
Old Dec 19th 2022, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

This is an example of how bad Brexit has been and will get. Experts repeatedly warned that it was something that would be very complex and would take time to fully happen but slowly all the little things are happening. By 2028 all uk nationals living in EU wanting to return to go to UK universities will be classified as international fee payers with no access to student loans or uk busaries- is anyone warning young British families living in Spain this?? No! Because that is what Brexiteers call Project Fear!!
when you say ‘warning young British families’ what do you actually mean ? There is adequate open guidance about this in various places online, do people really need to be spoon-fed every aspect of brexit years ahead ?
Old Dec 19th 2022, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

with respect, you having an ‘awful feeling’ is hardly fact ! ….. I’m not saying HSBC won’t close some accounts but they are one of very few banks who offer a lot of facilities to expats globally.
Old Dec 19th 2022, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UKMS
with respect, you having an ‘awful feeling’ is hardly fact ! ….. I’m not saying HSBC won’t close some accounts but they are one of very few banks who offer a lot of facilities to expats globally.
Well my awful feeling is based on things that you have just posted and I also found: when you enter spain as residency their online applications send a message saying you must be a UK resident despite them advertising you can have EEA residency( for the children's account ). When I phone some say it is only for UK residents others say the you used to be able to open as an EEA resident and nothing has changed. So clearly something is going on involving residency.
Old Dec 19th 2022, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

when you say ‘warning young British families’ what do you actually mean ? There is adequate open guidance about this in various places online, do people really need to be spoon-fed every aspect of brexit years ahead ?
Where is this adequately posted? I only discovered it after searching through the government legislation concerning university fees and speaking to UKCISA who weren't sure as it was only recently enshrined in the Act.
Old Dec 19th 2022, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Where is this adequately posted? I only discovered it after searching through the government legislation concerning university fees and speaking to UKCISA who weren't sure as it was only recently enshrined in the Act.
Its adequetly posted in the places (gov and edu sites) you would go to look for information if someone was heading to uni in the future. Even without Brexit rules and benefits change.
Old Dec 19th 2022, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well my awful feeling is based on things that you have just posted and I also found: when you enter spain as residency their online applications send a message saying you must be a UK resident despite them advertising you can have EEA residency( for the children's account ). When I phone some say it is only for UK residents others say the you used to be able to open as an EEA resident and nothing has changed. So clearly something is going on involving residency.
The screenshot I posted simply stops an online application. It does say you can go into a branch.

As I mentioned HSBC offer a lot for expats globally but you may well be correct and they are closing accounts. There could also be elements of risk reduction and perhaps also closing accounts that are rarely used and not beneficial for HSBC to keep open (I dont know just an educated guess)
Old Dec 19th 2022, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Why some other UK banks are closing to EU residents is simply because they don't hold the required banking licences post brexit. HSBC hold such licences as they actually have HSBC banks in the EU. I suggest if you can't apply online then phone them and ask how you can sort out opening an account as a UK resident. It can be done I did it as have others.
Old Dec 19th 2022, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Its adequetly posted in the places (gov and edu sites) you would go to look for information if someone was heading to uni in the future. Even without Brexit rules and benefits change.
Is it posted there? Could you show me a link where you found it?
Old Dec 19th 2022, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobd22
Why some other UK banks are closing to EU residents is simply because they don't hold the required banking licences post brexit. HSBC hold such licences as they actually have HSBC banks in the EU. I suggest if you can't apply online then phone them and ask how you can sort out opening an account as a UK resident. It can be done I did it as have others.
But I'm not a UK resident so why would I want to know how to open an account as one? I'm a Spanish resident and when you speak to them they say do it online then you say it wont allow spanish address, then they say they dont understand and fob you off to another. One guy tried to do it online for me but claimed there was a glich. Another said that as it was for my son he couldn't authorize it. Thats why I think ultimately there is a problem to do with residency
Old Dec 19th 2022, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Here are some Questions and answers posted by HSBC re banking with HSBC post Brexit.
https://www.hsbc.co.uk/help/brexit/#current-accounts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.