The UK

Old Sep 30th 2010, 11:24 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The UK

Originally Posted by Rotor
And chocolate bars / crisps are around 100% dearer in spain!!
not in Iceland they're not
Old Sep 30th 2010, 11:43 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Exactly, bread is meant to last 1 day. Anything that lasts more than a couple of days has been pumped full of chemicals. If you want that in Spain that you can buy the Bimbo bread that lasts a couple of weeks though is expensive and not as nice as fresh bread.

What bread is only meant to last one day?

I have great aunts in Galicia whs still bake all their own bread, they live a sort of self sufficient lifestyle and they bake bread about every 7 to 10 days, in a traditional woodburning oven.

And when ever they have visitors, the bread is alawys edible, wether it is baking day, the day after baking day, or even day before baking day?

So how do you explain that?
Old Sep 30th 2010, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Bread is meant to last one day..........says who exactly? Spanish bread is all crust and no substance but useful as a weapon on day 2.
As I recall Bread on the continent is/was made from a harder wheat than that of the UK.

If you go into Mercadona thay sell what they term Hamburger rolls which are made from a much softer wheat and last for several days. We find them to be much more palatable than the normal spanish rolls or bread.

Jim
Old Sep 30th 2010, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
What bread is only meant to last one day?

I have great aunts in Galicia whs still bake all their own bread, they live a sort of self sufficient lifestyle and they bake bread about every 7 to 10 days, in a traditional woodburning oven.

And when ever they have visitors, the bread is alawys edible, wether it is baking day, the day after baking day, or even day before baking day?

That's because in the villages in Galicia and Asturias they tend to use Pan Cateto (or similar) that tends to last longer as it is made from a different type of grain. For the very reason that it will last them longer.

I talked to my MIL about this who comes from a remote Asturian village, her mum used to do the same.

It's a bit stodgy to use as a bocadillo though!

As for the other people saying Spanish bread has no substance, well just keep looking. There is very good and very bad bread sold in Spain, it depends on the panaderia and the type you ask for. We've found in Andalucia that Pan Gallego or Pan estilo Campo/Campesino/Del pueblo is usually very good. Crusty on the outside and soft in the middle.

Last edited by cricketman; Sep 30th 2010 at 11:51 am.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I never found that to be the case in Madrid, but I didn't seek out expensive UK imports either. Certainly the standard can of beer in the supermarket would be 35 or 40cents (may be more expensive now) as against 80p or a pound in the UK.
The average cost of 45 cans of 440 ml is at the moment £20.00 in the main supermarkets and these are well known brands which included Carlsburg.

Jim
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:07 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Heard it down the pub? Some bloke in the bar told him? Read it in the daily hate? These things have a habit of finding their way into daily speak eh?

I have just made a loaf, I make one every three days... not because it goes moldy, just because we love eating it.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:19 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Heard it down the pub? Some bloke in the bar told him? Read it in the daily hate? These things have a habit of finding their way into daily speak eh?

I have just made a loaf, I make one every three days... not because it goes moldy, just because we love eating it.
Well you have a point, if you can make bread at home it's normally far better- Same goes for home cooking, I've yet to find a restaurant that can consistently provide as nice food as that done at home
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:42 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Well you have a point, if you can make bread at home it's normally far better- Same goes for home cooking, I've yet to find a restaurant that can consistently provide as nice food as that done at home
Stop. Just stop. No one said anything about that, no one else mentioned that, we were talking about bread... from a supermarket.... compared to home made bread... so stop... just stop!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:51 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Well there is an obvious anwser to that................the food we make at home is exactly how we want it.

to put it on a basic level......even a sandwich made at home is preferable, you can put as much or as little butter as you want.

and your neighbours will enjoy their homemade food as much as you do yours, but most probably you will not enjoy their food as much as your own.

So we are not discussing "home made" food, as opposed to restaurant food, you are talking about "your" home made food, and there is a world of difference.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:58 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
The average cost of 45 cans of 440 ml is at the moment £20.00 in the main supermarkets and these are well known brands which included Carlsburg.

Jim
Stevie seems to live in a different UK than most people
Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:06 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I thought most people on this forum were Spain based? Are you saying you're not the Marbella based poster?
Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:07 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Well there is an obvious anwser to that................the food we make at home is exactly how we want it.

to put it on a basic level......even a sandwich made at home is preferable, you can put as much or as little butter as you want.

and your neighbours will enjoy their homemade food as much as you do yours, but most probably you will not enjoy their food as much as your own.

So we are not discussing "home made" food, as opposed to restaurant food, you are talking about "your" home made food, and there is a world of difference.
I see your point, but guests often rave about the home made stuff. They could be just being polite though...
Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:10 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Silly me, I forgot. You're the poster who thinks anyone who disagrees with your views is "making it up" and "telling lies". I'm really Richard Branson posting from a carribean island. I shouldn't tell you he has a place near Oxford (Kidlington) too. Which is also in the UK, the last time I looked
Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:14 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I am not the poster who said beer is half the price you quoted, which one of you is right, your 80p a can or bigger Jim's 44p.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:16 pm
Banned

I see your point, but guests often rave about the home made stuff. They could be just being polite though...
Yeah, I would never go to eat at someones ho:use and tell them that the meal tastes like boiled t*rds, even if it did.

The old saying that honesty is the best policy, has certain failings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.