The UK

Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:03 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The UK

Originally Posted by HBG
During her temporary absence, I’ve been clearing out the freezer of Iceland meals and I must admit I’ve come across some marvels. I’ve disposed of the giant sausages and beefburgers, minted lamb chops, Chinese pork chops, chips, and mountains of curries.

Unfortunately, I found some chocolate ice lollies as well. Coated in nuts.

This morning, feeling brave, I stepped on the scales. She’s back in two days time and I’ve got to lose three kilos. I’m not an expert on calories and the like, but reckon I’ve got to eat nothing till then.

And, half-an-hour before midnight, I’m starving. There’s a frozen chicken vindaloo in the freezer, and it’s calling out to me.
Sorry. 1 pound of fat = about 3500 calories, and a day's burn about 2500.

Try altering the zero point on the scales instead?
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:29 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking about it, I really must be in a minority. My friend is always telling me how tasty the food is in Spain ( and she shops in the same places as me). The tomatoes that she drools over I find watery and tasteless. The bigger they are the less taste they have imho. Veggies go mouldy before I have a chance to use them - including those bought from local markets. Bread goes stale in a day (unless I buy the suger-laden stuff in the supermarkets).

I do like Mercadona's own round sliced bread (sugar is only about the fourth ingredient) and some of the leaner meats.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Yes, we all live solely on processed food here, no choice really, as you've noticed, no fresh food available in UK. What a ****!
Sarcasm of that kind is unbecoming and quite childish in it's nature!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

sensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud of

there are 4 things better in spain than the uk(not counting weather)
cheap baccy,cheap fish,cheap council tax
the 4th i will leave to you

as for drivers,i got a 100e fine for doing 75km in a 60 zone just as you come off a motorway a couple of months ago,so now when im on this exit i keep at the speed limit,twice this week i have been beeped,flashed at(not in a nice way)been given the finger for driving at the speed limit,they can eventually overtake me,personally they are lucky i dont want another speeding fine,so cant be assed to catch them up and show them the crow
Old Sep 30th 2010, 2:06 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Did you come back on the santander boat 20th? I thought I might have seen you judging by your description but wasnt sure enough to come over. Were you in the kids room on the second day just after lunch?
Yes we were in the kids room. I kept thinking I might get a hello from you during the crossing..
Old Sep 30th 2010, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
But on the whole the Spanish supermarkets are not a patch on Morrisons or Asda. IMHO of course.
Why would you buy your veg from a supermarket? Try a local greengrocers & taste the difference
Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:38 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

there are 4 things better in spain than the uk(not counting weather)
cheap baccy,cheap fish,cheap council tax
the 4th i will leave to you
Well of course there are lots of other things better in Spain than in the UK. Coffee and the cost of wine/beer are a bit obvious, and although I'd like to say the free tapas regime in many bars, I'm sure someone will pipe up with "but I know a place in Bolton that gives free cheese sarnies on a Sunday lunch". But let's say high speed trains, local transport systems, local fiestas, magnificent mountain scenery and open spaces (on average), potato crisps (!), parking prices, costs of hotels/hostals/camping/most renting, relaxed closing times etc. Equally there are lots of things that are probably better in the UK eg public parks, cemeteries, cosy pubs, certain tv programmes (still a lot of dross though), libraries, car boot sales, charity shops, cost of books and magazines etc. No doubt people can (and will) argue over some of the categories I've put here, but I suppose the point I'm making is there are lots of good points in both countries if you're optimistic enough to take advantage. Plus there are things like museums, sporting events, beaches that are great in both countries.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:55 am
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Oil refinery has gone. I can see the bridge in the distance, the marina area behind it and the frontages of Neyland from where we were
Neyland? Wales? Pembrokeshire? I did my Advanced powerboat course there!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 8:17 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking about it, I really must be in a minority. My friend is always telling me how tasty the food is in Spain ( and she shops in the same places as me). The tomatoes that she drools over I find watery and tasteless. The bigger they are the less taste they have imho. Veggies go mouldy before I have a chance to use them - including those bought from local markets. Bread goes stale in a day (unless I buy the suger-laden stuff in the supermarkets).
The bread isn't full of preservatives and crap, hence why people buy fresh bread every day ... I thought that was well known. When we cook our own bread it only really lasts a day.

Veg, the same I guess. We buy from Murky and the local market with no problems and the local market being fresh, it is more tasty than the prepacked sterile stuff in the UK

I dont care what anyone says. I am here now and I am seeing it. The Fish Cheese and Meat counters in Tesco's (local mega shop) doesnt touch the local ones in Spain for us.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

The bread isn't full of preservatives and crap, hence why people buy fresh bread every day ... I thought that was well known. When we cook our own bread it only really lasts a day.

Veg, the same I guess. We buy from Murky and the local market with no problems and the local market being fresh, it is more tasty than the prepacked sterile stuff in the UK

I dont care what anyone says. I am here now and I am seeing it. The Fish Cheese and Meat counters in Tesco's (local mega shop) doesnt touch the local ones in Spain for us.
Exactly, bread is meant to last 1 day. Anything that lasts more than a couple of days has been pumped full of chemicals. If you want that in Spain that you can buy the Bimbo bread that lasts a couple of weeks though is expensive and not as nice as fresh bread.

Ditto the fruit and veg as you say. For example we buy bananas from the Canarias. The bananas go off within a few days but are delicious. The Ecuadorian bananas are tasteless, much cheaper and take a few weeks to go off because they were picked probably months ago and stored in an ethene room that stops them developing and removes any taste.

Btw the best bananas ever we had when we went to Cuba. They really have absolutely nothing in common with those you might pick up in Tescos.

British consumers have been fooled by the supermarkets to think that tasteless convenient food full of chemicals is normal and to be expected and British consumers want the variety of options of this same type of food throughout the supermarket. I am lucky as in Spain it is easier to choose what you eat and you can still eat local, excellent quality, natural food if you know where to find it. Although I admit the good quality stuff is expensive and you must pay a premium.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Veg, the same I guess. We buy from Murky and the local market with no problems and the local market being fresh, it is more tasty than the prepacked sterile stuff in the UK I dont care what anyone says. I am here now and I am seeing it. The Fish Cheese and Meat counters in Tesco's (local mega shop) doesnt touch the local ones in Spain for us.
Most of the UK fruit and veg is from Spain!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 9:02 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Most of the UK fruit and veg is from Spain!
and other countries! This is a major gripe I have with UK supermarkets for example apples. For me British apples are as good as anywhere in the world, but the likes of Tesco insist on stocking French, South African, NZ apples, and they don't taste half as good. We really do shoot ourselves in the foot on this issue. I'd be interested in RugbyMatt's insight on this.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Well of course there are lots of other things better in Spain than in the UK. Coffee and the cost of wine/beer are a bit obvious,.
Not necessarily so I find that Carlsberg in Spain is much more expensive than the UK and so are many wines.

Jim
Old Sep 30th 2010, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
Not necessarily so I find that Carlsberg in Spain is much more expensive than the UK and so are many wines.

Jim

And chocolate bars / crisps are around 100% dearer in spain!!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 9:56 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking about it, I really must be in a minority. My friend is always telling me how tasty the food is in Spain ( and she shops in the same places as me). The tomatoes that she drools over I find watery and tasteless. The bigger they are the less taste they have imho. Veggies go mouldy before I have a chance to use them - including those bought from local markets. .
Sooo true Many Brits are afraid that even a small whinge will burst their bubble of living the dream! How do you know there are no additives in spanish bread The spanish are not so fussy when it comes to using chemicals on their fruit and veg. Infact most tomatoes in spain are grown solely in chemicals under glass. A couple of years ago Germany banned all spanish peppers after finding banned substances in them. Shop locally and you will see the same fruit in as the week before. Select some oranges and hundreds of fruit flies shoot out

Next time I shop at the market I will ask the stall owner where his bananas come from and ask the 16 year old at the panaderia if the flour in the bread has any additives...they will have all the information

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.