Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

TV programme tonight on ITV

TV programme tonight on ITV

Old Jan 29th 2007, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold
Default TV programme tonight on ITV

This programme seemed to portray a nightmare image for Brits living in Spain, who fall ill after their first two years, who are also under pensionable age. They are not covered by the Spanish health system and it seems neither by the NHS.

What are some of you doing to get around this problem, apart from taking out health cover (if you can get it)?
Old Jan 29th 2007, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Mourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really nice
Default Re: TV programme tonight on ITV

Originally Posted by Gray C
This programme seemed to portray a nightmare image for Brits living in Spain, who fall ill after their first two years, who are also under pensionable age. They are not covered by the Spanish health system and it seems neither by the NHS.

What are some of you doing to get around this problem, apart from taking out health cover (if you can get it)?
How about learning the language , integrating in to local society , getting a job , paying in to the system , oh i forgot the English expect everything for nothing so they sit on their fat arses having seen place in the sun expecting everyone to speak english, and despite leaving england create their own little England and expect all the benefits they had before , GET REAL !!

If i was Minister for Murcia instead of caving in to poor ill Britains i would make it law , no local language , no integration , no healthcare .
Old Jan 29th 2007, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mourinho
How about learning the language , integrating in to local society , getting a job , paying in to the system , oh i forgot the English expect everything for nothing so they sit on their fat arses having seen place in the sun expecting everyone to speak english, and despite leaving england create their own little England and expect all the benefits they had before , GET REAL !!

If i was Minister for Murcia instead of caving in to poor ill Britains i would make it law , no local language , no integration , no healthcare .
Whats your problem....GET REAL? It was a question ,that all.

Do not judge us all the same way.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Mourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really nice

Whats your problem....GET REAL? It was a question ,that all.

Do not judge us all the same way.
If the Uk is so bad and everyone wants to move away why do the majority want to recreate it when they go anywhere ?
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

If the Uk is so bad and everyone wants to move away why do the majority want to recreate it when they go anywhere ?
I certainly would not want to re-create it. That is why I would prefer to live inland in a spanish community and integrate as much as possible. However, provision of health care is an important issue regardless of where you live.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:10 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I think the people interviewed were paying taxes etc into the system, and had been paying it all their working lives in UK.
They are not trying to sponge of the Spanish, this is europe and the health cover should work all over, with each country claiming from the country where the monies have been paid.
How would you feel if you moved to the UK and all the money you had paid in Spain was just wiped off and you was not eligable to any care there ?
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

I certainly would not want to re-create it. That is why I would prefer to live inland in a spanish community and integrate as much as possible. However, provision of health care is an important issue regardless of where you live.
If you practise what you preach you won't have a problem.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you practise what you preach you won't have a problem.
In what way do you mean. The problems with the provision of healthcare will still be there, regardless of whatever I preach, surely?
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
I think the people interviewed were paying taxes etc into the system, and had been paying it all their working lives in UK.
They are not trying to sponge of the Spanish, this is europe and the health cover should work all over, with each country claiming from the country where the monies have been paid.
How would you feel if you moved to the UK and all the money you had paid in Spain was just wiped off and you was not eligable to any care there ?
They are trying to sponge off the spanish ! you can just see Uk putting claims into the 196+ different countries citizens using our NHS . They are sponging off the British taxpayer .

No one makes people move to Spain , if some off them did their homework properly it wouldn't be a shock, they don't find out the situation until they are ill . Spanish tax is not overwhelming why should they pay for lazy britains.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

In what way do you mean. The problems with the provision of healthcare will still be there, regardless of whatever I preach, surely?
if you integrate as you say you want to and pay in to the system you will getting something back .
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:30 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

They are trying to sponge off the spanish ! you can just see Uk putting claims into the 196+ different countries citizens using our NHS . They are sponging off the British taxpayer .

No one makes people move to Spain , if some off them did their homework properly it wouldn't be a shock, they don't find out the situation until they are ill . Spanish tax is not overwhelming why should they pay for lazy britains.
I dont think you understand that these people have paid for their healthcare in the UK every working week of their lives, why should they not be entitled to it in a different country in the EU ?.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

What surprised me was that, the programme stated that people MAY not be eligible for healthcare in the UK until they'd been re-resident(?) for 3 months - it would therefore seem each case is assessed independently. I think that is confusing and may lead to people receiving the wrong info whilst making their decision to emigrate.
It was also interesting to hear the wife of the guy that had the stroke praising the UK now her husband is receiving the right care and showing signs of improvement, even though he had been eligible for treatment in Spain - maybe the NHS ain't so bad afterall?
The other thing the programme implied was the state of the property market, in that despite rising (asking?) prices and significant new build, the couple had had no interest at all in their home in over 12 months?
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Calandrew7 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are thinking of retiring to Spain and are starting to learn the language. We don’t know if we will succeed but we are going to give it a try.
We would appreciate any help or advice you expats can give.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
I dont think you understand that these people have paid for their healthcare in the UK every working week of their lives, why should they not be entitled to it in a different country in the EU ?.
I fully understand, are you calling me thick ?! If they are of pensionable age they get free healthcare , if they are not they don't after 2 years, that is the law in Spain . If you move to another country you abide by the law of that country ,if you don't agree with that legally fight to change the law , oh i forgot they can't because they can' speak the langauge , or for 50 euros you can fly home where you can moan in the rain rather than moaning in the sun !

Fact , more Britons in spain pay for Sky TV than healthcare .
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by leighbloke
What surprised me was that, the programme stated that people MAY not be eligible for healthcare in the UK until they'd been re-resident(?) for 3 months - it would therefore seem each case is assessed independently. I think that is confusing and may lead to people receiving the wrong info whilst making their decision to emigrate.
It was also interesting to hear the wife of the guy that had the stroke praising the UK now her husband is receiving the right care and showing signs of improvement, even though he had been eligible for treatment in Spain - maybe the NHS ain't so bad afterall?
The other thing the programme implied was the state of the property market, in that despite rising (asking?) prices and significant new build, the couple had had no interest at all in their home in over 12 months?
Did you see the state of the area ,will be trouble if you buy a house that looks exactly like the other couple of thousand built as close as possible to yours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.