Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

TV and Internet help

TV and Internet help

Old Jan 22nd 2016, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: TV and Internet help

Originally Posted by MikeJ
I'm sorry Saxy but you have me confused. You have just spent half this thread saying that TVCatchup blocks VPN access including Astrill and now you say that it works fine. Which?
I think you fail to understand the nuances of VPN access. Remember that VPNs are perfectly legal and most corporates will use them in their corporate networks for security reasons. A generic technique which can identify that a particular IPA is being used as a paid for (or even free) proxy to avoid geoblocking and to do this continually and dynamically in line with dynamically changing IPAs is, I think, a long way from fruition. This seems to be what Netflix is attempting to develop. They are also putting a lot of effort into global harmonisation of IPR, which suggests that they see this as the more viable option, since technology to avoid blocking and Rights Control is almost always one step behind the legal controls. This is why it's like bat-a-rat. Eventually the hacker industry will find the means to bypass.
If you read my post again, you will se that I am saying that If s small concern like TVCatchup could block VPNs, then the UK iPlayers (BBC & ITV), could have done the same, but they didn't, and still haven't. Hence my reason for saying that Astrill still works for them. Proving my point that they weren't bothered. Fred's post stating that they are, refers to publications made last year, and they still haven't taken the simple step of blocking free VPN's.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saxy
If you read my post again, you will se that I am saying that If s small concern like TVCatchup could block VPNs, then the UK iPlayers (BBC & ITV), could have done the same, but they didn't, and still haven't. Hence my reason for saying that Astrill still works for them. Proving my point that they weren't bothered. Fred's post stating that they are, refers to publications made last year, and they still haven't taken the simple step of blocking free VPN's.
Maybe because the EU have also looked at this and would like change!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32607246
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

...If s small concern like TVCatchup could block VPNs
If they can block VPNs why don't they? TVCatchup works fine for me with my well known VPN provider.

You say they blocked the use of VPNs 4 years ago. Not for me they didn't.

User error, me thinks.

Last edited by Horlics; Jan 22nd 2016 at 9:20 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Horlics
If they can block VPNs why don't they? TVCatchup works fine for me with my well known VPN provider.

You say they blocked the use of VPNs 4 years ago. Not for me they didn't.

User error, me thinks.
Not at all. You are talking about the UK TV program 'TVCatchup' and not the BBC/ITV catchup players. Perhaps you would like to tell us which VPN you are using 'cos I'm sure others would like to know!
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was Tvcatchup you were discussing? I am able to view that with the CloudVpn app from playstore (totally free app) set to UK server you can also view BBC, Itv etc catch up with this app.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobd22
I thought it was Tvcatchup you were discussing? I am able to view that with the CloudVpn all from playstore (totally free app) set to UK server you can also view BBC, Itv etc catch up with this app.
The program being discussed is 'TVCatchup'. A program available online in the UK, for viewing live UK TV progs. It used to be available in Spain some years ago using a VPN, but they decided to block that use. I doubt very much that you can get it now!

Last edited by Saxy; Jan 22nd 2016 at 11:29 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Saxy, to be clear.

I use Overplay.net and have done for 8 years. I worked in the Mid East before retiring and now spend at least 6 months of the year in Spain. Even when home in the UK, I use the VPN and/or SmartDNS to access the US and foreign versions of TV services, e.g. Netflix US.

In 8 years no service I have used, which has included catch-up TV (e.g. iPlayer, ITV Player, etc.) and TVCatchup has ever gone unavailable to me due to successful blocking by the service provider.

I'm unclear now, when you said that 4 years ago a service had successfully prevented its use through VPNs, which service were you referring to?
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

There's nothing new in being able to block the use of VPN's, 'TVCatchup' did it years ago. Companies can easily do it, if they want to!
This, BTW, is the reason I commented on TVCatchup and not catch-up TV in general. I did so because I was responding to your assertion which was very clearly about TVCatchup.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

This, BTW, is the reason I commented on TVCatchup and not catch-up TV in general. I did so because I was responding to your assertion which was very clearly about TVCatchup.
Yes, UK TV prog. 'TVCatchup' block the use of VPNs. They work for a while until they detect & block them. I used this prog. as did other members, for all of my TV viewing until some yeads ago, when they decided on the above course of action. You can sometimes get a different VPN to work, until they detect it. At one stage, I thought that they were actually monitoring this forum to see what people were using!
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

So they hit your VPN provider but not Overplay, one of the biggest.

User error.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for clearing up that it is Tvcatchup we are discussing I am aware of it and have used it. I am in the UK at moment but since this discussion. I tried a number of free vpns which were blocked by Tvcatchup up. I then tried CloudVpn set to UK server and can watch Tvcatchup from the website and from an add-on I put on Kodi. That leads me to believe that this VPN does the job if you want to use Tvcatchup. I will try when next in Spain to confirm. However reality is Tvcatchup is one way of viewing UK TV there are others currently that you can use for free without blocking anything so not really necessary to use Tvcatchup other than this discussion.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, TVCatchup isn't the best so it's a bit of a moot point.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

So they hit your VPN provider but not Overplay, one of the biggest.

User error.
User error ha ha. I have been successfully using both 'Hide My IP' & 'Astrill' (the latter being the best), for a long time. With Astrill you can choose from any number of countries, locations & signal strengths, FANTASTIC.
Now what I suggest you do, is to use Overplay and TVCatchup together for a few hours & see how quickly they catch on, and they will.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

User error ha ha. I have been successfully using both 'Hide My IP' & 'Astrill' (the latter being the best), for a long time. With Astrill you can choose from any number of countries, locations & signal strengths, FANTASTIC.
Oh right, and there I was thinking you had been unsuccessfully using them because you mentioned you got blocked from TVCatchup, before you started about catch-up TV and then flipped back to talking about TVCatchup.

You seem a bit confused and all over the place, and for that reason, I'm out.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Would seem Tvcatchup won't be around much longer as it is in liquidation since last year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.